• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

Lijj

Mari: Well that's a relief! I just think its funny; is that wishful thinking on Kagebunji's part. Hot Spriter chicks rule! Kage's probably a ladies man though! He's smart and only 15(very advanced for that age).

Well back to topic, give me critical info to complete this: I don't know if this looks right. I think it's better than the first:
  • Modding version: PSX

Mari

Well, it seems a lot easier to tell which way he is facing, but if you want to have the hat facing downward like it is, I think you should move it just a bit to the right. (The character's left.)

It seems like it'd be falling off to the left, if it were positioned like that.

Unless he has a lopsided head. xD
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

Lijj

Yeah overdone.   ~going for ultimate creepiness factor  :) ended up looking topsy-turvy instead.
attempt 3:

jimmyjw88

Again, the angle is still awkward. Try make it into FFT angle. Also, to me, the hat seems to have too much of those black, crooked lines.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

Turn the hat around, so that the brim is pointing up and to our upper-right. Then just add a wee bit of shadow to the eyes and you should be set.

Lijj

May 05, 2010, 10:22:44 am #65 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:04:23 am by twinees
Here's attempt 4:

Is this a better angle? Good riddance of dark lines that didn't have order; copied from male hat's texture. Maybe change the eyes a little? Trying not to make her look happy; already lost good amount of creepiness factor :roll:
I don't know; I'd like to move on!

Kagebunji

Don't look at creepiness, you can work on that after the basics are done. Angle is correct, that for sure. But collar shading needs some serious reworking. I cannot tell you how to rework it, since I'm new to portraits as well. I usually "follow the light source" when I'm doing such things. For example look how I colored collar on Lezard(portrait ofcourse). And yes, change the eyes, outlining them like that might end bad. Follow similiar angle of eyes as MBM and FBM has. Great improvements, it is close to being finished, just need few tweaks on port!

Lijj

May 05, 2010, 12:06:13 pm #67 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:04:38 am by twinees
Sweet! I need to eat, then sleep first though. Maybe I'll get to work on my male version after that.
Not done but I'm tired.

mav

This portrait is in the right direction. Just consider working on the eyes a bit--further mimic the original Black Mages, if you can. The right collar (our right) looks a little strange--use more of the darkest shade and either extend it up a few pixels (so it'll be hidden under the hat) or lower it a pixel.

New sprite needs more contrast on the clothes, for both the blues and the browns. I also suggest changing the gloves to another color, like yellow or maybe brown. Looks pretty good otherwise.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

Mav: good advice on what to do with the collar; I'll try bringing it down a bit. I'll just copy the eyes almost exactly though cant be as bright, lacking white in plette.
And as Kage pointed out I'll check out the Lezard BMP and maybe work out the base of the collar too. the green part looks a little crooked too. Damn I was tired last time; fully alert and rested now!

Lijj

May 06, 2010, 04:02:13 am #71 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:05:20 am by twinees
COMING SOON

An alternative form of BMs for FFT.
Attempt 5 on the portrait. Couldn't get any white for the eyes but I'm content.

mav

Very nice--I especially like the casting pose. The portrait looks mounds better now; the only thing you may wanna do is angle the left part of the hat (our right) downwards a bit more, to match the angle of the eyes. It looks great though. Now focus on the sprite.

Lijj

I may tilt the hat later. For now I'll work on the males:I will make the gloves brown but that will be later all at once for palette's sake.

Kyousukeee

I really prefer the blue/green over the blue/brown =S

mav

For the male, put more contrast on the browns; it doesn't stand out right now and it's taking away from the sprite. And consider angling the hat just a little bit on the forward-diagonal frame.

You could also brighten the greens on the female. It doesn't look bad or anything, it just doesn't stand out enough. Great progress on both sprites.

Timbo

You know, it's probably too late to say this, but I prefered the pastels used in the concept image.  It had this japanese theme going on, that seems kind of lost in this sprite.  I do think this is an amazing sprite though, it looks like an Arch-Black Mage.
  • Discord username: Timbo

SilvasRuin

It's like a better version of Black Wizards without the moon on the hat or the huge bloomers.

Timbo

I like the Bloomers on my Black Mages.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Kagebunji

Yes, change brown to green, better contrast and looks good in general. Also, there is another thing you MUST do, add another pixel to the eyes, and a 2nd eye as well, just like female has. Experimenting with eyes will end bad, in 90% they do, remeber your first Terra attempt's face? :P