• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:15:30 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Skillset Bug Fix Progress

Started by SentinalBlade, May 04, 2009, 03:37:26 pm

SentinalBlade

May 04, 2009, 03:37:26 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Hey guys, if you frequent chat, you know ive been working on the skillset bug fix for like the past 5 months, off and on, working when i have time. It wasnt until recently i got anywhere worthwhile... but i plan to take more time on it, as its going to be used in SoR

First is a picture of what normally happens when you have an action menu set to default, or changed from what it normally is, such as Jump being changed to default. this example is with an unedited Cure spell. The bug makes it weapon range, and a 00% chance to do no damage.

The next one is several screenshots, showing you that i can fix it for the most part, the code needs to be thoroughly edited though. this is the jist of what it can do, without text edits for the temperary skillset.

Vanya

May 04, 2009, 04:48:11 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That's freakin' awesome! Great job, dude! Everyone is going to want this one. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

FFMaster

May 04, 2009, 05:21:55 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Awesome. I hope this goes well. It will be a major step for hacking.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

nates1984

May 05, 2009, 03:35:27 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by nates1984
Yes.... Keep the progress up while I'm gone. =X

SentinalBlade

May 05, 2009, 04:06:16 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Haha, i think i can deal with that. For the time being, "Primary Skillset fixes are complete. When it is a secondary wit ha default action menu, its confusing. but im betting its the same fix.

If you know, Nates, could you point me in the right direction to look where the code for ending a battle is? As of right now, the fix ends up sticking, and messes with your base Class's skills. I need to switch a few things back into proper place, such as new total jp and current jp, but i dont have an accurate time to do that.... and i cant really find where the routine for finishing up a battle would be... Im hoping for something after the last kill, like during money earned after a battle.

For now, The explination on the fix is odd; I jump to my code, and check to see if geomancy is the primary. If it is, keep going, if not, do normal things. If it is, it loads your Geomancy learned abilities, max jp, and current jp into your base class. Be it Squire, Holy Knight, or Soldier. And it works perfectly. I havnt tested much with your base skillset as your secondary, but as far as i know it caused no problems(didnt crash anything and i had all my abilities correct). The only thing wrong with this, is if you go into the status screen, your base class will have skill learned that were in that slot for geomancy. like if you had 16 skills. and you knew the skill in slot 11 of geomancy, then your base class would appear to have the skill in slot 11 learned as well. Thats no big deal, it doesnt affect anything other than imagery(not like you can learn something new in mid-battle). But its just a small aesthetic glitch, and thats the only one so far until i can actually get it to reset properly at the right time.

Kaijyuu

May 05, 2009, 09:19:10 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I'm no expert at this, but wouldn't it be possible to hijack the routine that opens/closes the submenu for picking skills, and stick your code there?

I imagine such a low level graphical routine would be difficult to find, but it'd fix all those problems.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the less probable it seems. However, if you're going to fully fix this (including that graphical error), you'll probably have to tie it to menus.
  • Modding version: PSX

SentinalBlade

May 05, 2009, 10:08:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Wrong part of the menu, im talking pressing triangle on a unit, then going to status, going past the part that tells you their status effects, and into the screen taht lists all their jobs and things.

The skill menu works perfectly, and its only blank in teh screenshot cause i didnt bother to add any text edits.

Basically, The reason that graphical glitch is happening is due to tight fits. Im already re-arranging code in battle.bin to make room for my jumps. and i have no idea(And neither does Zodiac) how to work with much of anything graphical. Right now its all about functionality. the glitch i can take a screen of if you still dont get it(which i understand, i dont know why i cant explain it properly), but its really a minor thing compared to having 4 more jobs open for customs;even if we never fix the glitch

Vanya

May 06, 2009, 01:27:44 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
If i understand your explanation, what is basically happening is that your fix is messing with the base job's displayed skills instead of it messing with those of the normally glitchy job's displayed skills, right? And this is due to space constraints, correct?

One question; am I on crack or do I not recall it being stated that special units don't have this glitch when the those jobs have their skill sets modded? If this is the case, wouldn't it be a matter of observing the behavior of a special unit and comparing it to a generic? Unless I'm delusional, it should be as simple as finding out why the generics insist on reading data from the wrong place.

At any rate great job on this so far. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

May 06, 2009, 01:45:32 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Its not Special units, its the Generic Job skillsets. Holy Knight can have its skillset changed, and the bug still happen when changing geomancer.

I get what your saying, and i have compared a few of the routines, and there is absolutly no difference. It loads everything just like everything else, plugs in the skillset number, and so forth. There is also no obvious explination math skill works normally when set to default, and its a generic skillset. The routines, and even the ones it branches or jumps to, all have the exact instructions and handle it the same way.  Thats what i spent my first month on, comparing things like black magic, Phantom, Fear, Math Skill, Jump and Draw Out together. Even if i change the data mid-red, from jump to black magic, it still behaves funky, for no real reason.

And thats right vanya, thats what i was trying to explain =)

savantopus

Did this skill-set glitch ever get fixed? Looks like this post was from 3 years ago...
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

3lric

SentinalBlade has not been active for a loooong time on this site... (Sept of 2011)
maybe check this next time before resurrecting a 3 year old thread...

Make a post in help for such things, or ask on IRC