• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 05:40:30 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Blank spaces in the Abilities tab (FFTPatcher)

Started by oneartplease, March 16, 2010, 02:50:39 am

oneartplease

So my understanding is that these can be used to create custom skills, correct? Does the game require you to also name these skills and insert a description (probably using Tactext) in order for them to work properly?

I made a skill, a direct copy of Throw Stone (with a different effect and damage formula), gave it 0 JP cost to learn, and lo and behold, there it was, a blank spot in my learn abilities screen. But when I try to use it in battle, I get only my weapon's targeting range, 00% success rate, and an attack animation that whiffs when I execute it. I set the ability as "normal" and made sure to check its corresponding boxes in the Animation tab so it's identical to the animation for Throw Stone. I don't know what else I could be missing, except for not naming it or giving it a description.

Skip Sandwich

which slot did you override? some of those blank slots are actually used by the game, for example, the slot directly above potion is the default attack command. try doing the same thing with a different slot.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Donkeyton

Also curious about this.

There are one or two blank ability slots at the very bottom of the ability list in FFTPatcher. Are either of these slots used by the game, and if not, would making them into custom abilities glitch the game at all?

Also, how would one locate these blank slots in FFTactext in order to assign them names and descriptions?

R999

Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"which slot did you override? some of those blank slots are actually used by the game, for example, the slot directly above potion is the default attack command. try doing the same thing with a different slot.

other than that one, do you know of another blank slot used ingame? I haven't had problems with the other blank slots.

To OP you find those abilities in fftactext by looking at the neighbouring ability names. They are listed in the same order.

Skip Sandwich

among other things, some of the blank slots are used for:  summoning demons, reviving malak with the scorpio stone, and lucavi transformations
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

formerdeathcorps

Didn't LD and Zosma replace those blank spells with no harm to the game?
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Donkeyton

Can anyone post a definitive -- or even work-in-progress -- list of which blank ability slots can be modded without negative consequences?

formerdeathcorps

You can modify all the ones between energy and attack (the invisible one before potion) without any issues and you can modify the one 1.3 turned into Doubleshot.  I managed to modify all the other blanks (except attack) without issue as well, but apparently, that's disputed.

Some attacks are also fixed in their locations to have dependencies (for further differentiation, terrain/katana dependence).  These include the mighty sword attacks, knight breaks, draw outs, elemental attacks, etc.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Donkeyton

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"You can modify all the ones between energy and attack (the invisible one before potion) without any issues and you can modify the one 1.3 turned into Doubleshot.  I managed to modify all the other blanks (except attack) without issue as well, but apparently, that's disputed.

Some attacks are also fixed in their locations to have dependencies (for further differentiation, terrain/katana dependence).  These include the mighty sword attacks, knight breaks, draw outs, elemental attacks, etc.

Cool, thanks. I assume you're talking about the PSX version, which is the preferred engine of most modders around here for a variety of reasons. But if I'm interested in making new abilities on the PSP WOTL, are those same blank spots still moddable? It may seem like a stupid question, but it's been my experience that the PSP version has all sorts of differences and quirks that sort of beg the question. You can never be too careful, right?

Vanya

As far as I know all the slots except the one for the normal attack can be used with no ill effects.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

oneartplease

OK, so I tried again, this time using the spaces beneath Parasite and it worked! Thanks for all the help. Wonder why it wasn't working before when I had it on the space between Shock and Stop Bracelet?