• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:50:33 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Journey of the Five Battle Logs

Started by Jumza, March 29, 2013, 01:16:44 pm

The Damned

April 09, 2013, 09:32:58 pm #120 Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:42:07 pm by The Damned
(Yeah, I've mostly just been using Ramza as my medic due to Wish so that I didn't have to rely on Phoenix Downs unless he died. It's worked quite well so far, especially after I got MP restoring abilities even though you start out with 10 Ethers, which is quite generous.

*watches as Raven slashes that number to ribbons due to spite*)

...That said, I did have to make sure everyone had Phoenix Down after getting my third loss at Zirekile Falls due to it, though I would have lost there anywhere because Ahriman(s?) and Mindflayers are dicks; actually, Illithids in general are dicks just because Nature's Wrath seems to hate everyone on top of doing like at least 20 damage even at lower levels--I regularly get hit for 36 now.

Seriously, the Ahriman at Zirekile West (1?) was hitting Petrifies at 75+%. From the front.

I had Focus Band on Dante, but...yeah. Given I lacked Saria's Song on Link and only had (4) Remedy on (Chemist) Snake, I would have been pretty screwed even without the Plague (Horror) getting equally high chances at Doom Gaze and the Mindflayer landing a Confuse with every Mind Blast it tried.

Well see how I do in the rematch since I'm trying to do as many random battles as I can without going over Level 20, though maybe I'll just show some random battles without saving the progress. Not like I haven't done that before even before Jot5.

As implied above, I basically had a rather large "binge" of Jot5 last night, in part because I felt sick but mostly because it was quite fun (if brutal at times) and because I intend to actually fulfill one of my promises for once. As such, I'll be posting a bunch of videos, with game audio, on Sunday now.

I have two more questions for you guys, Raven and Elric (and anyone else who worked on this); thanks for answering/confirming the question about Treasure, by the way:

1. I'm going to try to record the (non-battle) cut-scenes at normal speed, mostly because I really appreciate what you guys did and want others to be able to appreciate the planning and effort. Are there any scenes you want me to avoid? Or are you guys fine with me showing everything (just so as long as I don't spoiler in the video titles)? I suppose I should ask the same of the random battles now that I think about it.

2. Speaking of Treasure status, I've been noticing references to it still showing up in things among other typos, so I have to ask: In what thread should I list all the typos I've seen so far? In the Bug Report thread? Or is here fine (since I've seen Celdia do it)?

Regardless, thanks in advance and thanks in general for the patch. Great work, guys (and gals...and other animals...and robots...and aliens...and...). Once again I must commend you all for getting things done.

P.S. I unless it's a change that occurred in 1.4 instead of 1.3, if Wizards are supposed to have Half of MP as a buyable support, then they don't. All they have is Equip Magic Arms (Support-wise).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

RavenOfRazgriz

The Half MP bit was a typo on my part, it's actually on Oracle.

Treasure as a status still "exists" and might be used in the future, so anything blocking it isn't considered a typo.

Post typos in the Bug Report thread.

Feel free to record all the scenes at 100% speed, but if you feel like it needs a Spoiler warning, just shove one in the title or video.  If they're watching a game playthrough though, people should be expecting Spoilers at that point.

Quote from: scbw1234 on April 09, 2013, 08:58:07 pm:shock: :shock: :shock: I had level 1-11 not changing any class because i thought the stat growth would be terrible,since there are no level downs.Therefore i had all their initial class level 8.

:oops: old vanilla concerns~~

Haha.

Well, don't as much.  Every Job has a unique Growth, but there are no "bad" Growths, and this game can easily be played while ignoring the Growth system entirely and you'll be fine on basically everything.  The Growth system is weighted though to make sure every class has a worthwhile Growth combination.

The Damned

April 09, 2013, 10:54:52 pm #122 Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:27:26 pm by The Damned
(Oh, okay. That all makes sense.)

Oh, there was one other thing I was wondering that I forgot of course for to ask before, partly because it's pretty insignificant. It's just part of my usual curiosities, but I figure I might as well ask it.

While there's no hard level limit as per some other games (i.e. FFXIII apparently, though I've never played that), I was curious about one level-related thing: What level would you imagine people "should" be at by the end of Chapter 1 that isn't "overleveled" when it comes to taking on the boss that ends the Chapter?

I just decided to have my personal cap be Level 20 (going into that fight, whenever it is) pretty much because that's what the (S(S)SCC limit is for Chapter 1...which I ironically never hit in any of my (S)SCCs despite how defensively I tend to play. Well, despite that and the fact that I like "exploring", which tends to wrack up time and, in games where applicable, EXP/JP even when not purposely (briefly) grinding. (This reminds me I should probably start fooling around with Move-Find Item.)

So...yeah, just a bit curious if you don't mind answering. Not important either way.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 09, 2013, 09:58:16 pmFeel free to record all the scenes at 100% speed, but if you feel like it needs a Spoiler warning, just shove one in the title or video.  If they're watching a game playthrough though, people should be expecting Spoilers at that point.

It's the Internet though. Furthermore, it's Youtube. Further-furthermore, it's Humanity I am (read: we are) dealing with here though. I'm just trying to preemptive ward off some probable stupidity, especially since I plan to try finally to make my channel public this weekend, while also trying to make sure I didn't do anything you (or the others) didn't want.

We'll see it the former goes as smoothly as the latter, though. It probably won't between my luck and, again, Humanity & the Internet & the Youtube (& the Pokey-mon &...).

*ends preemptive griping before he transforms into Bill Cosby, especially since he dislikes pudding*

Damn Flans.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

RavenOfRazgriz

April 09, 2013, 11:00:26 pm #123 Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:35:56 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
The average level at the end of Chapter 1 seems to be about 15 or so, which was actually higher than my original projection.  (On my debug playthrough I got to the end of Chapter 1 at Level 5-8, so my original projection was Level 10.)  I'd consider Level 20 to be "high" but not unrealistically so if you're poking around all the random battle locations, doing sidequests, etc.

This game doesn't have level-based gear scaling though, so overleveling can't hurt you too much except maybe against monsters, and every battle in the game after Bariaus Hill has some form of level scaling so it won't make the game too easy, either.  It'll definitely change your play experience and probably make you use different tactics than you would at a lower level but it shouldn't really impact the difficulty too much in either direction, overall.

Ravager90

Hi guys, just finished Chapter 1. This hack so far is outstanding and i like to commend everybody who is working on this. Hope you guys don't quit this and i can't wait till next year to continue this game.

Durbs

Quote from: Ravager90 on April 10, 2013, 07:52:20 pm
Hi guys, just finished Chapter 1. This hack so far is outstanding and i like to commend everybody who is working on this. Hope you guys don't quit this and i can't wait till next year to continue this game.

Next year? Think of Ch1 as a bear, twice normal size... and on fire. Can't forget that. If we can beat a flaming bear giant, it's smooth sailing from here. Or at least smoother.

If my hasty analogy confused anyone, Ch1 only took so long because it was the first of its kind, and everything had to be done from scratch. We're not making things from scratch the second time around, so to be perfectly honest I think we can get this done in as little as 3 or 4 months, provided all the cogs mesh together. The battle system is already in place and no further ASMs will need to be made, 2 of the most time-consuming factors, so we can probably do this quite quickly.
  • Modding version: PSX

Jumza

Quote from: Durbs on April 10, 2013, 08:43:36 pm
Next year? Think of Ch1 as a bear, twice normal size... and on fire.

Why did the bear take a shower?
Because it was on fire ! :P

Honestly though, lets get ch2 going! (and maybe reduce the cost of phoenix downs while you're at it)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Ravager90

3 or 4 months at least huh? Well that makes me really excited. Good luck to you guys.

3lric

Thank you Ravager, we worked very hard to come this far. And we promise not to disappoint. I always finish what I start :P

scbw1234

April 10, 2013, 11:23:07 pm #129 Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:29:11 pm by scbw1234
 :D May i ask,whos behind all the amazing event cutscence creation~~(like the beginning intro where snake,dante doing all these amazing things) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3lric

I made every single event of Chapter 1 from scratch (minus the cloud summoned scene from Vanilla) and Xifanie helped alot with quality control, she also did alot of work fixing up the dorter slums and golgorand events, among other things.

But as for the intros, and the original story and what not. That would be me. I started Jot5 about a year and a half ago, and build an awesome team to make it what it is now.

If you go to this link, you will see the team as it was upon release of Chapter 1. We've picked up a couple more people for Chapter 2 since then though.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7936.0#msg158235

scbw1234

Quote from: Elric on April 10, 2013, 11:34:49 pm
I made every single event of Chapter 1 from scratch (minus the cloud summoned scene from Vanilla) and Xifanie helped alot with quality control, she also did alot of work fixing up the dorter slums and golgorand events, among other things.

But as for the intros, and the original story and what not. That would be me. I started Jot5 about a year and a half ago, and build an awesome team to make it what it is now.

If you go to this link, you will see the team as it was upon release of Chapter 1. We've picked up a couple more people for Chapter 2 since then though.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7936.0#msg158235

:cry: :cry: :cry: you guys are so godlike~~~

3lric

Why the sad faces?

And thank you, though I'm not sure godlike is the right expression. It's more like dedicated.
I've always been computer literate, but outside of that I knew nothing about modding when I
first got here a year and a half ago. All I did to learn this, was study the vanilla events and
practice making my own. Lots of people and can, and it's really nothing you can't do if you don't
have the time.

Though for a 6 month period, I did nothing but events for roughly 10-12 hours a day. Which
obviously paid off a bit as well :P

We thank everyone for their kind words, and hope you stick around for Chapter 2!

scbw1234

Quote from: Elric on April 10, 2013, 11:58:41 pm
Why the sad faces?

And thank you, though I'm not sure godlike is the right expression. It's more like dedicated.
I've always been computer literate, but outside of that I knew nothing about modding when I
first got here a year and a half ago. All I did to learn this, was study the vanilla events and
practice making my own. Lots of people and can, and it's really nothing you can't do if you don't
have the time.

Though for a 6 month period, I did nothing but events for roughly 10-12 hours a day. Which
obviously paid off a bit as well :P

We thank everyone for their kind words, and hope you stick around for Chapter 2!

The embarassed face is because i can't even understand the basic tutorial of ASM hacking :oops: But i still hope if i can help in some other ways  :mrgreen: i love FFT~

:D And of course i'll be sticking to all the sequels.

I'm not sure if its possible,but would it not be cool if the theme music from MGS,Zelda,DMC and FF7 plays as BGM in some of the battles?When i was watching the intro with dante jumping around i almost thought i heard "Devils Never Cry"  :mrgreen:

3lric

Quote from: Pride on April 01, 2013, 12:43:00 pm
Im sure it was intentially done, but I loved that the thieves fort battle was nearly identical to the vanilla party (besides the special unit). Both battles are the first assassination battles too!

About to head to the final battles in the chapter ^__^

Way late, but this was totally unintentional, I never thought about this before now...

Quote from: Durbs on April 01, 2013, 05:15:24 pm
...well, I finally got around to doing a proper playthrough. All was going well until I lost, I fuck you not, 23 times at Barius Hill. I have literally been at it for the past 4 hours. I still haven't beaten it.

My RNG sucks worse than Celdia's. There's, what, an average of 50% on the Lamia's move that causes confusion? I have yet to see it miss. It's funny how every time I need a move to come through for me the game says 'LOLNOPE, here's a crit against the only one who can revive your party for your trouble'. The worst part is that the stuff that I need to hit is always at about 75%. And then misses without fail.

+_+

I have seriously never been so close to punching my screen.

Fail

Quote from: The Damned on April 09, 2013, 09:32:58 pm

1. I'm going to try to record the (non-battle) cut-scenes at normal speed, mostly because I really appreciate what you guys did and want others to be able to appreciate the planning and effort. Are there any scenes you want me to avoid? Or are you guys fine with me showing everything (just so as long as I don't spoiler in the video titles)? I suppose I should ask the same of the random battles now that I think about it.

Regardless, thanks in advance and thanks in general for the patch. Great work, guys (and gals...and other animals...and robots...and aliens...and...). Once again I must commend you all for getting things done.

If should be fine, as long as, like you said, you don't give anything away with the video titles. Also, thank you, it's great
to finally give everyone the chance to play it and get feedback after all this time.

Quote from: scbw1234 on April 11, 2013, 12:50:13 am
I'm not sure if its possible,but would it not be cool if the theme music from MGS,Zelda,DMC and FF7 plays as BGM in some of the battles?When i was watching the intro with dante jumping around i almost thought i heard "Devils Never Cry"  :mrgreen:

Thanks to Pokeytax, this is something we are thinking about working into Chapter 2

Avalanche

April 12, 2013, 08:43:05 am #135 Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:26:10 am by Avalanche
Hi,

I am curently at the Battle against Ganandorf outside and i cant beat him and i also cant imagine how i could. His massive Aoe spell 2-hitts everyone plus his high Speed and Evasion. I wonder if leveling up makes this Battle more difficult or easier?

3lric

First off. Put that in a spoiler. Second. If you read this thread youll get plenty of hints to beat that battle.

Jumza

If Link doesn't have holy arrow get it, if Link has it, use it!If you're still stuck then you can search the thread for extra tips n such.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

RavenOfRazgriz

And make sure you're on the most recent version of the patch, that battle had its difficulty lowered and some bugs fixed in more recent releases.  It sounds like you're still using one of the early releases.

Avalanche

i am using 1.3. currently. Can i use my old savestate after Patching up?