• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:37:31 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Kivutar

May 17, 2011, 08:20:33 am #100 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:19:49 am by Kivutar
I updated the changelog, but added no video because there is no visible changes.

I face some issues in hosting the new server: I need a Squeeze server, but a friend of me is going to lend me one.

@dear Cheetah, I finally managed to import your map:

Tethical, an online FFT clone

Cheetah

Sweet, did you figure out what the problem was? Was it something Ganesha is doing incorrectly?
Current Projects:

Kivutar

To be honest, I don't know how this issue has been fixed. I rewrote the server in python to fix the lag issue due to http, and during my tests I accidentaly loaded your map and saw that it worked.

The better news is that the lag is fixed. We tested it yesterday evening. The lag was really linked to the use of a synchronous protocol.

Eternal

Excellent, glad to hear the lag's gone!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kokojo

Did you retest my map as well :P?
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Cheetah

Well as long as they are working that is what matters haha.
Current Projects:

Kivutar

Quote from: Kokojo on May 18, 2011, 01:55:03 pm
Did you retest my map as well :P?

It looks like it is fixed too :)

Asmo X

Awesome news. This project is moving super quick

Kivutar

I updated the first post:

• A new custom map

• Add an unfinished custom map

• Fixed the map exporter to not place characters in water

• Allow more parties to be created

• Connect server only when credentials are provided

• Window title

• Return to party list after a battle

• Battle Complete datagram

• Fix the Game Over screen

• Code cleaning

I found a hacky way to display black and white fonts in panda. The next step is to display the characters HP, MP and CT.

Asmo X

That's really cool. How long does it take you to make a map like that?

Kivutar

Quote from: Asmo X on May 21, 2011, 12:22:05 pm
That's really cool. How long does it take you to make a map like that?

Thanks!
It was something like
less than 1 day for the 3d model
about 2 days to apply the textures
about 2 hours to write the .json file for the server

Kagebunji

If you need any sprite help, PM me. I could either wrap up a concept or help you with some common ShiShi errors.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kivutar

Thanks for your proposal Kage. I will post some help request in this forum. If you can help with one of these, It would be great :)

I finally understood how panda fonts work and made a font to display character's stats. I added the video on the first post.

Kaffe

I've been so good calling Kivutar a hero up til now, so this post is just to reiterate that.

Kivutar is a hero.

Iscarot

Kivutar fantastic work and progress. I program games my self, was working on a RTS FFT set up, but got called to do a project for a company so had to set that on the backburner. Came back to the RTS project this week, was looking up FFT stats and attributes, and stumbled upon your progress. Have to say very impressed. As far as adding jobs , items, and spells in game ( as i have not looked at your code yet ), do you intend to set up a generic Obj to extend from, or will you be making an editor for that.  Just wondering, keep up the good work.

Kivutar

@Kaffe: Thanks for your kind words. But you're exagerating. :mrgreen: Tethical is slowly becoming a community project, and would not be what it is today without the precious help of the other FFH members!

@Iscarot: This is great! I am very curious to see your code. Anyway, you are welcome in the project if you like it. There is a ton of work.

To answer your question, I don't know yet. The actual code base is a quick and dirty proof of concept. I would certainly give a try to the OOP way. It is cleaner than text files containing evaluated code.

I have the bad habit to code before thinking. It is ok for prototyping. But I already had to rewrite major parts of the game because of bad decisions. If teaming, we'd better have a plan, with a roadmap. We need somebody with project leading skills.

Kivutar

I coded some cursor improvements and added a new video on the first post.

• Added UV coordinates to all slope models, so they are texturable

• Moded the client code to switch cursor shape according to terrain shape

• Color the cursor in red when on an unwalkable tile

Eternal

You guys should really be getting more attention for this. This is some amazing stuff and I bet people don't know about it. :(
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

MysticKnightFF5

Give it its own sub forum for it Eternal, you know you wanna! =D

Kivutar

QuoteYou guys should really be getting more attention for this. This is some amazing stuff and I bet people don't know about it.

The project is still very young, having too much attention now may not be good :)

QuoteGive it its own sub forum for it Eternal, you know you wanna! =D

Aren't we already in our own subforum?

Good news, I fixed the network lag on huge maps. Now the lag depends only on the number of characters on the map, and no more on the number of tiles. But even this can be fixed later.