• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:19:51 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ALL THE CHOCOBOS

Started by Jon, January 15, 2012, 04:13:26 pm

Choto

maybe making the legs/beak a little darker to blend a little better with the color of the body would make it seem a little less of a shock given that people are SO used to seeing all the same color. Nice to see more of vanilla FFT being evaluated though :)

3lric

Very nice job. If you end up doing the original chocobo sheet (yellow, black, red) with those beaks I will definitely use them (as well as the other ones you did, but they are for something else  :mrgreen:)
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

Quote from: Choto on January 23, 2012, 10:10:52 am
maybe making the legs/beak a little darker to blend a little better with the color of the body would make it seem a little less of a shock given that people are SO used to seeing all the same color. Nice to see more of vanilla FFT being evaluated though :)

This.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

GeneralStrife

But the beak is using the same colors as the feet it seems like. How many colors can be sacrificed?

Pickle Girl Fanboy

January 24, 2012, 12:49:50 pm #24 Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:58:19 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Whiter white chocobo looks a lot better.  Could you work a little light blue into it?  Like, icy blue-white, with more white than blue on the glossy sheen parts of it's feathers, with a little darker blue on the shadowy parts?  And it needs blue eyes too.

One other thing, could you make an actual "Black" black chocobo, using dark grays and blues?

Jon

Yeah, I can make the White Chocobo have blue eyes and icy blue wing tips and darkish blue dark areas, and I could make a better Black Chocobo than that! Instead of dark grays and blues why not blacks which turn into really dark grays as it gets lighter...actions speak louder than words, I'll post something soon.

Edit: I made this a while ago, might be too dark but don't judge it because of the black background, it might actually look good in game, I dunno...

This isn't the one I was talking about up above, just a random one I made and thought might be interesting as a base...it has really dark blue hues, seems to work okayish...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Looks pretty good.  Make sure you keep the whites of it's eyes the color they're supposed to be.

If you want to preview it, temporarily change the 00/00/00 black - which is transparency - into 255/255/255 white.

Took a closer look at the dark chocobo.  It looks very dark purple, not an actual black.

Jon

You're right- the eyes lost the whites! XD

Eternal suggested that I make the eyes red and make some kinda demonic chocobo outta her...I'm gonna make a new sheet tomorrow with new colors, was thinking black (new and better), gold and maybe use the purplish one you can see in Shishi that never got used (you can only see it under one of the portraits). For black I'm not sure but prolly something like 00red, 00green and like very, very dark blue...I'll think of something...

3lric

Quote from: Jon on January 24, 2012, 08:55:27 pm
You're right- the eyes lost the whites! XD

Eternal suggested that I make the eyes red and make some kinda demonic chocobo outta her...

You should also do the white one with Red Eyes  :mrgreen:

Vanya

Quote from: GeneralStrife on January 23, 2012, 11:09:57 pm
But the beak is using the same colors as the feet it seems like. How many colors can be sacrificed?

Not sure what you mean.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Vanya on January 24, 2012, 11:37:00 pm
Not sure what you mean.

I must have been on a natural high or something when I wrote that, I ment to say the beak jon did was sharing colors with the feet.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: GeneralStrife on January 24, 2012, 11:48:11 pm
I must have been on a natural high or something when I wrote that, I ment to say the beak jon did was sharing colors with the feet.

I'm not seeing any problem with that.  That's how most birds operate, really, as far as I can remember...

GeneralStrife

The point was he wanted the beak to be darker, and the feet would have been affected too.

Jon

January 25, 2012, 07:13:19 am #33 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:01:54 pm by Jon
I'm making 2 sheets now with 6 Chocobos altogether, first one is the traditional FF 4 types, so the normal yellow (unedited), white and black chocobos, and the black one came out pretty good I guess. Is it a tad too gray though? It might be hard to see due to the black background but I hope its good. Reminds me a bit of the Hydras...
The second sheet I'll work on isn't done yet but it'll be blue, green and gold. Here's the first sheet attached:
Edit: Got rid of the weird white chocobo...

Twinees

Yes, that black chocobo is much, MUCH, better than previous one, the shades of black are better spread out. Great job. I also prefer your first white chocobo sprite colours than any of the others, but prefer the portrait for the white one you are using atm.

The blue and green chocobo sprites are quite dark, and the colours are blending a lot. Try to make the colours further apart from each other like you have done for the white/grey chocobo.

Mando

I'll try my hand at these later, they still look a bit off to me.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Jon

January 25, 2012, 09:59:04 am #36 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:04:38 am by Jon
Quote from: Mando on January 25, 2012, 09:11:06 am
I'll try my hand at these later, they still look a bit off to me.

You don't like the black one? I'm not sure how you can make it blacker than that and not go into the background, oh well...

I think the blue one is the real problem. Here are the (new) blue, green and gold chocobos:

Mando

The black one isn't too bad but the white one appears to be a bad blue of sorts. Why not try using the dragon colors I have on my sprite page? I'm at work so I cannot do it right n but you maybe able to beat m to the punch.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Black is excellent!  White could stand a little more white, and slightly less blue.  Blue and Green need to be seen in a battlefield, next to vanilla chocobos.  Gold looks good, but I really wish we had a sparkle effect, or even a glittering mist that could float over it.

When I messed around with Chocobos a long time ago, I documented the ratios between R/G/B for each of the vanilla birds, and then switched the colors around.  IIRC, Red Chocobo color ratio was a pain, and Black Chocobo color ratio looked weird.  Only Yellow Chocobo color ratio worked for me.

Jon

Hmm, I think I'll definitely redo blue and green and base them more on these two with brown legs:

Edit: Wait WTF?? Which version is the right one?! Now the green has green legs?!