• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:59:13 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Any pointers on where to improve + help with avatars?

Started by murak, October 05, 2008, 12:55:03 am

murak

Okay, I know I was pretty much a no post lately or anything, but I decided to finally try to work on something that wouldn't require going through the eventchar to make the changes stay.

I know it sucks right now, but i did this in less than 5 minutes, so don;t be too hard on me. ^^;

also, could anyone help me with the avatars?  simply changing palettes wasn't very useful, also I'm not entirely sure if editing the avatar by hand in something like paint is going to have an adverse effect to it.

Any tips on what I could do to improve it would be greatly appreciated.

(I know i'm not great with FFT sprites yet, I only ever worked with FF6 ^^; )

DarthPaul

October 05, 2008, 09:26:35 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
hmmm nice maybe i can recolor the pics for ya
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

murak

October 05, 2008, 10:39:56 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by murak
Thanks darthpaul, and I know these are basic, but, well, I decided to try Delita in a similar manner. (sucks right now, but i might look into actually editing the eventchar sometime so i can get different shading as well as going over them again, this is just a basic idea of what I had in mind)

Oh, the first Ramza I decided to just make his shirt black and try some text edit to have ramza say something like 'After that day, I decided to dye my hair black and cut it, I know it isn't much, but its my way of showing I cared for Delita.' or something like that. (I just made that up on the spot, the proper thing is probably going to be better if I actually do it)

DarthPaul

October 05, 2008, 04:18:20 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
hmmm i like the delitas maybe i can work out a suitable palette change or just straighten it out
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Cyberblade

October 06, 2008, 07:15:05 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cyberblade
They look alittle flat use shading to a degree by having different brightness's of the same color so it looks better. you have 16 colors but it looks like your using 5 or 6

DarthPaul

October 06, 2008, 09:31:58 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
yea i started shading this as a pet project but im only about 3% done with all my other work piling up

murak

October 10, 2008, 12:58:54 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by murak
Nah, its okay Darthpaul, you dont have to do this, thi was more of a test run of it to try to get in the hang of it, and maybe i made the colours too close on the scale since i'm actually using 4 colours for the red, maybe a greater distance between them will be better, oh well, more testing/experiments for me! :P

DarthPaul

October 10, 2008, 03:17:18 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
well i like the color scheme of these and i dont even fancy the color red they just look "right" to me

murak

October 11, 2008, 08:24:10 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by murak
Okay, I was looking at my previous attempts and this time I think i got it slightly better.

This time I took Algus and tried to make him slightly 'older'.

colours were taken from different sprites so i know they'll look reasonably well ingame.

(red taken from Elmdor, black - elmdor (cross between him and Dycedarg) and the white is from Gafgarion)

Any suggestions for Algus?

Edit: okay, looking at the old Delita, I decided to try another take on him, and hopefully this is better than my first attempt. ^^;

DarthPaul

October 11, 2008, 08:58:38 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
umm try editing the death knight algus if you want older cause it has a better portrait

murak

October 11, 2008, 09:06:16 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by murak
Okay, okay, Algus is sucky. XD

Hm, I myself don't fully understand how to change the eventchar, so for now, changing any vital chars will on the whole be palette changes, although for Algus... I think I might be tempted to go away from that since I never really liked his design and anything i tried on him didn't look very good.

As for the portrait, could we not simply take the avatar and stick it in the normal one with some editing to make the two have similar colours?

But i redid the first Ramza and hopefully it will be better this time around.

DarthPaul

October 11, 2008, 09:15:40 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
say hello to old man ramza

wheres dycedarg to poison him

murak

October 11, 2008, 09:35:13 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by murak
Is that a good or bad comment? XD

well, i made some attempt at ramza 2 again, yet again, he's old XD maybe I could try to give him a cane or something)

edit: okay, made some attempt at ramza 3.

DarthPaul

October 11, 2008, 01:48:51 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
it was a joke on the part that ramza is like his father and dycedarg poisoned his father so i think its a good comment