• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 12:55:39 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Map Editor: Ganesha 0.60 Released

Started by gomtuu, March 12, 2009, 01:40:11 pm

Bloodthirster0

This is turning out to be awesome,we will need a mapping section soon.

Kokojo's map can be used for new castle battles,like Limberry,Riovanes or Orbonne(I know it isnt a castle),Zodiac's map is awesome too,combining those maps a new region can be created
Need something useful to write here

karsten

really really great developments! kudos to everybody involved and to our maps pioneers!

gomtuu

I'm making progress on the the visual UV coordinate chooser, but it still needs a few more days' worth of work. Here's a preview:

[attachment=0:26ma9r6e]texture-uv.png[/attachment:26ma9r6e]

You'll see this window when you click the new "Show UV" button in the Edit Polygon window. The magenta polygon (in the upper-left corner of the lower-left texture page) shows the area of the texture that's used by the currently-selected polygon. At the very least, I want to make the magenta polygon update when you click the Apply button so you can see the effect of your changes, but what I really want to do is let you click and drag the points of the polygon around to set the UV coordinates. I'll also try to make it so you can zoom in to pick the right coordinates more easily.

Cheetah

Oh man would those ever be amazing advances, as always. This should really speed things up in all fronts.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

Ack my favorite topic has been way to quiet lately. Well I have hit a bit of a snag because I choose poorly in my base map. The tutorial 1 map might have one of the smallest amounts of space, so I am unable to test the map in game at this point :(. I worked with Kokojo for a while a while in trying to expand the iso for map space, but we messed something up somewhere along the line. It is a pretty cool method though. I was wondering though Gomtuu that if I replaced a larger map with my custom map and just changed the pointers in the GNS file if it would work? I would appreciate a bit of a breakdown of that file too (though maybe you already have it in the wiki(goes and checks)).

I am also still waiting on your texture improvements before I really start that step of the process. I think I will finish up all the polygons in the next while and start planning textures though. Ack I need to make major adjustments to those boxes in the corner too because now they are tall enough to allow a unit onto the roof. After previewing the map in map2gl I am noticing many more mistakes, besides just the crazy default textures. I'm also trying to think of ways to spice up the map a bit, so if anyone has some ideas I would appreciate it. I'm adding pillars and some flags, but I would appreciate some ideas as to what to do with the main center area. It is supposed to be like a practice ring/pit, I'm trying to think about adding some target boards or fighting dummies or something. But those ideas don't do anything to mix up the terrain.

[attachment=0:1tyotww9]Picture 3.png[/attachment:1tyotww9]

Update: I have all my essential polygons drawn. Going to try adding some pazzaz and textures before I do another preview.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

So I tried to import a texture and the program throw me a giant error and crashed. Has anyone successfully important new textures? I even tried an unedited png that I had just exported from a different map and it didn't work. I will post the entire error soon.

[attachment=0:3ckg6p1k]Picture 4.png[/attachment:3ckg6p1k]

I have attached the error message.
Current Projects:

Vanya

Lookin' good, though.
We're close to having this pig roasted.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

gomtuu

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago, and I was playing Valkyria Chronicles until FFXIII came out.

I'm leaving for a 3-week trip on March 24th, so I'll try to get another release out by then. I'll look into that error, Cheetah. Which texture file were you trying to export/import?

Cheetah

Excellent choices in games Gomtuu! I am currently on strike against FFXIII, but I will probably play it in the next year or so. VC is probably my favorite RPG since FFXII.

Yeah so I tried importing several different texture files from different maps. However, I was trying to import them all to map 101, so perhaps that is the problem.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

I love Valkyria Chronicles so far. I want all my tactical RPGs to be made that way from now on. :) I definitely want to come back to it once I finish FFXIII. It took me a while to warm up to FFXIII, actually, but I'm enjoying it now.

I'll see if I can get to the bottom of that texture import problem. Thanks for the bug report.

Cheetah

Okay Gomtuu, I have done as much as I can without doing texture stuff. It is hard to see them, but I am particularly proud of the pillars supporting the roof. They are from the interior of the Academy so I thought it was fitting that they would be on the exterior as well. I also plan to add a few flags and a tree or two. I still haven't gotten this to work in game yet either since it is way bigger than the original map. Any suggestions on an easy way to test it without creating new sectors?
Current Projects:

Cheetah

Come on everyone lets make some noise over here. We need to get Gomtuu motivated so that he can get this one last piece of the map editor up and rolling and we will have a whole new area of hacking to easily implement. My ugly textureless map makes me so sad :(

WOOT. I finally got my custom map working in game. Obviously my textures are all really messed up. It is amusing that even though I move lots of the water textures, no matter where they are they still animate like water anywhere else. So how texture animations work is still a bit confusing to me, but very cool. My Mesh file is so large that I just overwrote one for one of the other maps and just change the sector location and size in the GNS file for it to read correctly. I basically just guessed the file size, but it worked I suppose. I just really really really want to update the textures for obvious reasons.
Current Projects:

mav

Hey, that's pretty damn impressive, Cheetah. Great job. Hopefully gomtuu is hard at work preparing the next release--cause we're so close right now that it's driving me insane. I mean, look at that map! The potential is nearly limitless.

Kokojo

Hahahaha, Good job cheetah! I have got nothing working with the textures - I dunno how to use them.

The question is, how do we motivate Gomtuu?
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Eternal

Offer him a roasted Chocobo.

Or alternatively, just continue using his editor and supporting it. :3
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Cheetah

Maybe I will do a video with commentary of my custom map and show off some of the incomplete maps and talk about what wonderful things we could do with a completed map editor and give Gomtuu lots of shout outs. Do you think that would do the trick?
Current Projects:

Vanya

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Krendall

What corner do the three lines converge? Is it NW, NE, SW, or SE? Being able to see a map and figure this out is actually the main reason I downloaded the program.

EDIT: I think I figured it out, but just to make sure: they converge at the SW corner, right?

LastingDawn

Cheetah? How did you get colors in your Ganesha? Mine is still all in black and white? Is there something I'm missing here?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

I'm using the map editor for the screen shots :), well that and in game.
Current Projects: