• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:50:11 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Recommendations for a Good monster Hack?

Started by Delsait, June 07, 2020, 06:00:00 pm

Delsait

So I'm new to the FFT hacking scene and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good hacks that buff the monster classes to be more in line with the regular classes? Take for example how many monsters have a final variation that doesn't know all of it species moves like how the Sacred, the final Minotaur, doesn't get Feral spin. Or similarly how many monsters have to be one space right next to the mediator to use their hidden skill when thats unnecessarily limiting.

Is there any hack for any versions of FFT that buffs the monsters to be on par with the other classes? I know there is a hack that replaces every playable unit with monster classes, but I'd prefer human classes to still be around, just with the monsters classes improved.

On a similar note, is there any definitive gameplay balancing hack for FFT similar to Tactics Ogre: One Vision?

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

Journey of the Five does this, but of course, it's not a simple FFT mod.

It doesn't take too much to make monsters better, though - just give them a full set of three good abilities each in the Patcher.

Delsait

Quote from: Nyzer on June 07, 2020, 07:09:37 pmJourney of the Five does this, but of course, it's not a simple FFT mod.

It doesn't take too much to make monsters better, though - just give them a full set of three good abilities each in the Patcher.

Can you tell me more about Journey of Five? Does it have a new story?

Isn't the patcher for Windows only like Nightmare?

Nyzer

Delsait

Quote from: Nyzer on June 08, 2020, 05:24:38 pmhttps://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=66.0

I don't know what Nightmare is, but yes, FFTP is an .exe.

Guess I'll have to use Wine.

Nightmare is an EXE editing program for the Fire Emblem games.

Ansehelm

Quote from: Delsait on June 07, 2020, 11:06:43 pmCan you tell me more about Journey of Five? Does it have a new story?

It does, IIRC it takes place after the events of FFT with Ramza as a bearded Duke and some other characters. Definitely worth checking out if you're not familiar with it, and it's easily the most intensively modded project that's ever been made with FFT.

Also, to shamelessly promote my hack, the Beta of which should be out within a couple weeks - I'm making a vanilla mod, which, among many other things, makes changes to monster classes along the lines you've described here.  For example, I've increased the move stats of the Chocobo line, made mountable mini-dragons, given regular dragons defense up, and generally made monsters more viable across the board.  The Monster skill ability is also removed, so all monsters have access to all their skills from the outset. Obviously they'll never be as flexible as generic units, but they generally act as more specialized, but more powerful units. Keep an eye out for it, it'll be called FFT Expansion.
  • Modding version: PSX

Delsait

Quote from: Ansehelm on June 12, 2020, 07:47:44 pmIt does, IIRC it takes place after the events of FFT with Ramza as a bearded Duke and some other characters. Definitely worth checking out if you're not familiar with it, and it's easily the most intensively modded project that's ever been made with FFT.

Also, to shamelessly promote my hack, the Beta of which should be out within a couple weeks - I'm making a vanilla mod, which, among many other things, makes changes to monster classes along the lines you've described here.  For example, I've increased the move stats of the Chocobo line, made mountable mini-dragons, given regular dragons defense up, and generally made monsters more viable across the board.  The Monster skill ability is also removed, so all monsters have access to all their skills from the outset. Obviously they'll never be as flexible as generic units, but they generally act as more specialized, but more powerful units. Keep an eye out for it, it'll be called FFT Expansion.

Wow it sounds alot like Tactics Ogre: One vision, I'd love to try your hack!

CONMAN

I have to ask Ansehelm, what kind of sprite are you using for your mountable mini-dragons?  Years ago I started to work on "dragons" using the chocobo sheet and never finished it.
  • Modding version: PSX