• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:19:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New to, well, everything...

Started by Tolone, October 18, 2008, 01:31:37 am

Tolone

October 18, 2008, 01:31:37 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tolone
(My apologies if this is the incorrect sub forum for this><)

Hey there. I just happened upon this site today by chance via a thread from gamefaqs - having heard about a great mod to improve FFT's function and difficulty. Imagine my surprise at finding all the other things this wonderful project has to offer!

I've spent about the last 16 hours or so lurking around, and I've started to hit a few...snags, mostly due to my complete obliviousness to hacking or hexadecimal editing.

I followed the very "Beginner" guide posted here http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Which while very informative, doesn't make understanding something like the "Inserting custom character animations" guide by zodiac, particularly coherent to an amateur like myself. ^^;

I was wondering if maybe there is a guide on these forums, which I somehow missed, that can provide me with a better enough understanding of hex editing that I might be able to modify sprites and such? Or would it just be outright impossible for someone with mediocre computer knowledge to accomplish without a lot of practice and time.(I'm not lazy, just curious, I'd be willing to take the time to learn, since I adore this game)

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this was the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if it belonged here, due to being FFT-related, or the general Newcomers forum. ><

Cheetah

October 18, 2008, 02:03:42 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Some of this stuff just takes a bit of time of using before everything starts clicking and making sense. I would also recommend using the IRC Chat do get quick questions answered and advice.
Current Projects:

Lydyn

October 18, 2008, 02:43:28 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
You can also check out my guides (in my signature) since their purpose is to help people ... I also think SentialBlade made some guides in the same forums. Otherwise, yeah ... just start messing with the FFT Patcher, downloadable via the main site (just click the above logo).

Tolone

October 18, 2008, 03:18:17 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tolone
I had read some of your guides, actually, very helpful they were!
I'll go skim through them again.  :)

Also, I have been messing around with FFTpatcher on and off all day...It's addicting!