• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Voldemort here

Started by Archael, June 19, 2010, 10:38:43 pm

Archael

I have a very busy life in NYC, but in spare time I can work on this if you guys need help

I do however have time for:

1) Give the project more promotion (when needed) using my yt channel that already has alot of FFT fans subbed to it

2) Think of ideas / concepts (I think I'm good with skill / job ideas, but others might disagree)

3) Make videos

4) Anything else you guys want me to do that I can do while at my job (namely mental work, I just don't have time to sit in front of patcher all day anymore)

R999

Welcome!! Looks like everyone left the chat when you came on...

We could really use some help in the class / ability / skillset design department right now. Let me know when you have time so I can personally go over the kind of design goals that we have established in the past. Any kind of mental work would be extremely helpful at this stage.

Archael

post it here

and the jobs you need ideas for

R999

Trust me Voldemort, you want to come on chat for this! Even for Asmo, it took him a while to get the hang of some of the mechanics. Every single one of the jobs planned for IA can be considered to be severely broken when placed in a normal FFT mod's settings.

If you have the time, look over this temporary document that I have attached (it is quite detailed). The document here contains most of the mechanic changes but expect 40% of it to change during the next revision.

http://hotfile.com/dl/49503737/5f18a93/ ... 2.rtf.html

Come ask me questions directly in chat, because I can imagine you'll have plenty of them...

Archael

I read through your entire file, I get the gist of it!

all I can say is you have the next biggest thing in FFT since 1.3 on your hands

I can tell you are dedicated to this project as much as I was to 1.3, the effort you're putting into it shows, and I am sure you won't let anyone squander it

I will help in any way I can :)

R999

@Voldemort: 1.3 was a success! I am sure you guys have put in a lot of effort into it back in the day.

You are giving me way too much credit heh :)  Thanks. Most of the abilities/mechanics have been continuously fine tuned depending on AI performance. Most of the initial work was done with me and FDC (when he was still around) in the chat. I wasn't sure if you would like a game where the jobs are so specialized. They may not be the most interesting, but they are highly optimized for AI play. And, that's not all!  We have a lot of unique unplayable generics planned (to enhance difficulty in a 4 vs 4 game), along with the Hero jobs (18 playable teams, and many unplayable). We are in dire need of someone doing the Hero skillsets.

............................................................................................................
.........................................Playable Teams............................................
............................................................................................................

=== Knights ===
Team 1: Gafgarion (Dark Knight) + 3 Mercs
Team 2: Wiegraf (Holy Knight) + 3 Mercs
Team 3: Meliadoul (Divine Knight) + 3 Mercs
Team 4: Alicia (Holy Knight) & Lavian (Holy Knight) + 2 Mercs

=== Magicians ===
[s:25ff2eqb]Team 5: Reis (Dragonner) & ???? (Tiamat, a pet) + 2 Mercs[/s:25ff2eqb]
  --> Change to Team 5: NEW???? (Dragonner) + ???? (Tiama, a pet) + 2 Mercs
Team 6: Cletian (Sorcerer) + 3 Mercs
[s:25ff2eqb]Team 7: Elidibus/Serpentarius (Arch Mage) + 3 Mercs[/s:25ff2eqb]
  --> Change to Team 7: Vamafra (Arc Witch) + NEW???? (Shadow Priest) + 2 Mercs

=== Assassins ===
[s:25ff2eqb]Team 8: Mustadio (Engineer) & Worker 8 (Steel Giant) + 2 Mercs[/s:25ff2eqb]
  --> Changed to Team 8: Besrodio + Steel Giant? + 2 Mercs
Team 9: Celia (Assassin) & Lettie (Assassin) + 2 Mercs
[s:25ff2eqb]Team 10: Malak (Netherseer) + Rafa (Skyseer) +2 Mercs[/s:25ff2eqb]
  --> Change to Team 10: Malak + NEW???(Ninja) + 2 Mercs

=== Supporting Heroes ===
Team 11: Olan (Astrologist) + 3 Mercs
Team 12: Simon (Holy Priest) + 3 Mercs
Team 13: Beowulf (Templar) + 3 Mercs
Team 14: Zalbag (Ark Knight) +3 Mercs

=== Defenders ===
Team 15: Elmdore (Samurai) + 3 Mercs
Team 16: Agrias (Holy Knight) & Ovelia (Cleric) + 2 Mercs
Team 17: Loffery (Divine Knight) + 3 Mercs
[s:25ff2eqb]Team 18: Delita (Holy Knight) + Valmafra (Arc Witch) + 3 Mercs[/s:25ff2eqb]
  --> Changed to Team 18: Baron Grims (Holy Knight) + 3 Mercs

Archael

Why have hero jobs / teams?

Why are they playable?

Oh and something I am really picky about... make sure the spell animations are apropriate with what the skill does!!!! I know that it's hard to find for each and every skill, but it's doable.

So many people make shitty custom skills that look unprofessional because they throw some unfitting art on it... I'd hate to see that happen to IA. If you don't pay attention to this, it will look like any other lame FFT patch visually when the actual combat starts.

I lost my old wild blow / bull's eye demo videos and all I have is this shitty old crappy quality audio one Dome made to show a bug it had, but you can see the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndcWz0ghvg

LastingDawn

Quote from: "Voldemort"Why have hero jobs / teams?

Why are they playable?

Hero Jobs are to tie it into some overall narrative. Every team is comprised of one (or two) semi-unique units.

You've played Tekken before, I would guess?

Well think of Elidibs as Heihachi, and the others as contestants in the King of Iron Fist Tournament.

Every character has reasons to participate, whether it be selfish reasoning (Gafgarion), a fear of the purpose (Simon), showing the world that they are the best, (Kletian), or just purely to win a gemstone for their betrothed (Beowulf & Reis).

There won't be any grand event editing (well... maybe one or two things here and there), though the narrative will play out very similar to a fighting game, if the two heroes (or NPC's) have some relation with one another, they will likely have a single in-battle quip.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

Quote from: "LastingDawn"
Quote from: "Voldemort"Why have hero jobs / teams?

Why are they playable?

Hero Jobs are to tie it into some overall narrative. Every team is comprised of one (or two) semi-unique units.

You've played Tekken before, I would guess?

Well think of Elidibs as Heihachi, and the others as contestants in the King of Iron Fist Tournament.

Every character has reasons to participate, whether it be selfish reasoning (Gafgarion), a fear of the purpose (Simon), showing the world that they are the best, (Kletian), or just purely to win a gemstone for their betrothed (Beowulf & Reis).

There won't be any grand event editing (well... maybe one or two things here and there), though the narrative will play out very similar to a fighting game, if the two heroes (or NPC's) have some relation with one another, they will likely have a single in-battle quip.

that sounds good, with each team having their specific motive / unique abilities

:)

R999

Quotemake sure the spell animations are apropriate with what the skill does!!!!

Amend to that. As Zodiac would say, I am "way too visual". I try my best to find the most appropriate effects for spells.

demo videos thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5275

Seen them yet?

Heroes and Teams
Each team would have from 2-4 unique skills each among other things such as unique epic weapons / armors. They are here for many reasons, though I tend to think that team selection promotes re-playability (you cannot choose your team again once you have started the arena). I do have plans to host community AI tournaments, and the teams you see above are all meant to be playable (thus it is important to balance out the heroes so they are fair game for competitive play).