• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:23 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Arena Single Class Challenge AI Tournament

Started by Barren, December 20, 2012, 10:33:32 pm

The Damned

(Hmmm...I appear to be fighting reinoe twice now in Rounds 3 & 4, but everything else looks fine from a completely cursory glance.)

Take your time with this, though. There's no need to rush between it being the holidays, you choosing to do this by yourself and swiss tournament formatting making redundancy a pain in the ass to avoid.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

Checked for any other mistakes and it looks like we are finally in the clear :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Gaignun

Wizards versus Monks in round one.  That's going to be rough.

Also, isn't the point of a swiss tournament to pair winners with winners and losers with losers?  By placing contestants in pools and setting the matches ahead of time, this tournament is better described as a round robin.

CT5Holy

Sorry Gaignun, but I'm going 0-4. Maybe 1-3 if I'm hilariously lucky.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Barren

Quote from: Gaignun on December 21, 2012, 01:48:02 pm
Wizards versus Monks in round one.  That's going to be rough.

Also, isn't the point of a swiss tournament to pair winners with winners and losers with losers?  By placing contestants in pools and setting the matches ahead of time, this tournament is better described as a round robin.

I'll change it to Round robin then. thanks for pointing out the grammatical error

The Damned

December 21, 2012, 02:22:33 pm #25 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:42:06 pm by The Damned
(Swiss. Round Robin. Both pains in the ass to plan for, so you're hardly the only one to mix them up.)

Oh, hey. I do get to avoid getting stabbed in the face when everything is said and done. It's like all my minimal luck decided to use itself up in the past 18 hours.

Thanks again, Barren. I'll check for a bunch of things when I get back in...uh, however many hours it takes the world not to end today.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

December 21, 2012, 05:36:07 pm #26 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:41:52 pm by Barren
Just when you think the world was ending the FFT Arena Single Class Challenge AI Tournament has offically begun!!

Heed my words: Blood will be split :D

Also please note that even though I did say Rounds of Swiss I actually meant to say Round Robin and made a mistake. So I apologize in advance for a slight misleading

FFT Arena SCC AI Tournament Round 1 Block A - VireBlaze vs Taichii

FFT Arena SCC AI Tournament Round 1 Block A - DomieV vs Vigilanti

FFT Arena SCC AI Tournament Round 1 Block A - Jumza vs Celdia

Avalanche

I think Fate saw that there is a Tournament going on on FFH and decided to not destroy humanity. Wich is a shame if you ask  me.

Eternal

Using my uber admin powers, I hereby declare DomieV vs. Vigilanti the best Arena match ever.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Barren

Definitely sleeper match of the tournament candidate, but there's more to come :D

Vigilanti

Wow man! just wow @_@.......do many freaking turnovers in Round 2! just when I think I lost here comes my undead summoner back in the mix! GG DomieV. That was a amazing fight

The Damned

December 21, 2012, 08:34:30 pm #31 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:25:11 pm by The Damned
(Thanks for both the help and the quick videos, Barren.

I forgot to say that I don't envy you when it comes time to try to pronounce the names of Avalanche's units.)

I also forgot to give extra "props" to Vigilanti for using Lich, Titan and Shiva as well as Celdia for using Death and Jumza for using Witch Hunt & Titan. It's rather nice to see some of the lesser techniques being used, especially when I still find it somewhat odd that Titan is one of them, avoidable aspect and Float(ing) aside.

Anyway, on to the match commentary:

Yeah...I kind of expected to VireBlaze's team to have problems in general. As soon as I saw his somewhat odd weapon selection and general lack of AoE despite all his units being more than capable of it through their Primary, I figured he would have trouble, especially with something like Lore. It didn't even occur to me that him having Koutetsu Knives made it even more of a doomed match-up given I was worrying more about myself fighting Taichii than anyone else, mostly because both of us are using Shadow Shade and all-team Dark-absorb; at least my team was all Dark-absorb until that change to Warp. I mean, I can understand a Gastraftis (or other powerful Bow or Gun) on one of the Samurai given their natural inability to use shields, but both when they also had too low Brave to make up the damage just seemed problematic.

Oh well. He's still new-ish, so it's doubly a learning experience.

Not really much else to say here except that it's nice to see Zeklaus Desert again and the Bio 2s adding Frog in both matches made up for HP Restore activating both times as well.

As I think Velius/Belias says, you have the devil's own luck, Vigilanti. Seriously, the Undead summoner alone much have signed some pact to be hitting multiple 38% Deaths on the Paladins, multiple 70% Deaths to heal herself and generally getting up every fourth turn instead of potentially lying there for another. Perhaps it's "karma" for DomieV just using Famous Knights for his all-Paladin team, which honestly disappointed me a bit as understandable as it was.

Potentially asshole comment aside and more seriously, this match was exactly the reason that I scratched my head when I saw that DomieV had switched from Chaos Blade to Ice Brand & Kaiser Plate on the Southern Cross Paladin. Yes, it's basically the same amount of power on the Southern Cross and now you get the benefit of a shield...except now your damage is vulnerable to elemental things, especially if you're not (ab)using Oil. I don't know. I suppose it's because I have a low opinion of Ice Brand, especially since Paladins have piss-poor MA to take advantage of an Ice 2 proc, but he seemed to be doing well with Chaos Blade anyway. If he still had that, then I have no doubt he would have won at least the second match even after the Time Magic(k) Paladin went down.

Oh well. No point in crying over spilled swords with the benefit of hindsight, especially when it was an understandable choice in the first place. It just ended up backfiring here a lot sooner than I expected it would.

Those last six minutes were quite good considering how the first round went. For the first round, I just kept chuckling at the Witch Hunt overkill, at least until that initial Earth Slash shredded two units instantly. It's so easy to forget how scary Dancer can be when they're actually attacking instead of stuck Dancing.

But back to the second round, that was a lot more even and thus interesting even though like Barren I thought things were soon ended as soon as both of those Titan-targeted Squires both got Oiled in one go. It somehow managed to go back and forth despite one of the remaining Squire's being always Slow, probably because the Nameless Dancer ran out of MP, which I figured would be a problem. I still don't understand why she was randomly Refuting herself to get rid of Reflect though, unless it was "targeting" the Performing despite that stopping as soon as she chose to Refute. Oh well. More evidence that Refute really doesn't need to cancel Performing or Charging.

That said, that Dancer oddly is what got them the win in the end despite Item-bot Dancer being an idiot repeatedly and not bothering to throw Ethers at her since Refute actually worked to get rid of the Poison. If that hadn't happened, the hilarious kamikaze-Bullrush critical that lost Celdia the match wouldn't have happened. I suppose it didn't really help Celdia either that Phoenix Blade Squire took forever to Stigma Magic himself, though I realize now that this was likely because the Nameless Dancer was still "Dancing" despite having no MP, so his AI just refused.

The AI is still so weird about a bunch of things....

Regardless of my rambling, good showing so far everyone.

reinoe

Round Robin is easier to run than Swiss.  I used to play a CCG and swiss rounds are a major headache.  Strength of schedule, byes, "pairing up/"pairing down", and then on occasion: Honest to goodness ties despite all the built in tie-breaker scenario's.  Round Robin is definitely the way to go.  And in case I haven't said it yet:

Barren is awesome

This is a nice way to spend the winter break.
My dreams can come true!

Avalanche

QuoteBarren is awesome

Thats right doing it all by yourself seems a lot of work. Thanks for that!

QuoteI forgot to say that I don't envy you when it comes time to trying to pronounce the name of Avalanche's units.)

Ja sorry for that. Just call them unit 1, 2, 3 and 4 if you like.

Taichii

GG vireblaze.. in my opinion, i should have chosen samurais as well but looking at my team before.. the samurai ain't doing anything much as i expected it to do.. it does less.. and so i picked something else... :D

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL...
IT'S EITHER WE WIN THIS FIGHT... OR WE MAKE 'EM WAIT.. A LITTLE LONGAAAAHHH! XD
HAHAHAHA... that match is great XD

ouch.. that witch hunt is gonna be a hard one for me in my future match with jumza hahhaa..
what happened to the dancer with no mp left? it still keeps on dancing and is rendered useless for turns O_O
Mistress Celdie is hard hitting XD she'll make me look like paper in the future.. nice match guys and GG XD

Quote from: reinoe on December 21, 2012, 10:06:50 pm
Barren is awesome
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Jumza

Wow, none of my teams have lost yet! I am on a huge roll right now (I think I just jinxed it though)
So yeah, GG Celdia. The only thing I can say is thanks to Barren for telling me to use witch hunt, and for making the videos.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TrueLight

Samurais could never really get in range and when they did, they couldn't inflict enough damage.

What a battle. Those Paladins tried their best to tank, but unfortunately the RNG caught up to them. The key here was Pilgrimage, the longer the Summoners stayed up, the more damage they inflicted. It didn't help that the Time Magic Paladin went down early, DomieV needed those Sinkholes/Balances.

Witch Hunt can be a pain, especially when its hard to recover the MP lost.

With that, we are off to a great start into the tournament, thanks to you Barren.

Celdia

Quote from: Jumza on December 22, 2012, 10:50:31 am
Wow, none of my teams have lost yet! I am on a huge roll right now (I think I just jinxed it though)
So yeah, GG Celdia. The only thing I can say is thanks to Barren for telling me to use witch hunt, and for making the videos.

Oh, yes, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for telling him that, Barren. >_<

Seriously though, GG. 2nd round confirmed that my team can do what I want it to but there was no hope for them across the first map. Oil was the deciding factor on the 3rd which I think was the best fight of the set, of course. Had me on the edge of my seat in the last few minutes. Hopefully I'll fair better in future matches. I pity anyone else that has to take on your team, Jumza. Fucking dancers, man...
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

DomieV

Just got home from the gym and saw the match vs vigilanti

I got to say while that was a great fight, I must say that I was disappointed with what happened in round 2. I almost had that match won! If only that critical hit came then I would have had a shot at Round 3, but alas it twas not meant to be.

While I can understand Damned where you are coming from as far as ice brand and kaiser plate vs chaos blade. but i wanted more magic evasion which did help me last longer than I thought in Round 2. Maybe I should replace someone's Battle Axe with Bizen Boat. But hey 2 decap procs are better than one

The Damned

December 22, 2012, 07:43:54 pm #39 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:09:27 pm by The Damned
(Yeah, like I said it was an understandable change even with the success you were having with Chaos Blade. Not like it was an incompetent change or anything.)

I just figured that it would end up biting you in the ass sooner or later and it just happened to be a lot sooner than later, especially that Paladin doesn't have any other attacks that end up being able to hit non-elementally. Additionally, on top of the White Robes, Vigilanti's teams made the additional M-EV from the new Ice Shield moot compared to Famous Knight's first outing because Vigilanti actually had things that ignored M-EV.

As for Bizen Boat versus Battle Axe, might as well stick with Battle Axe, at least while Decapitate remains overpowered at 85% HP when it goes off. It would be nice to see someone use Bizen Boat the katana, but almost all mages block Silence, so....

Besides, those particular Paladins aren't really built for damage, are they? It just seems like they're focused on lasting long enough for Decapitate to inevitably go off. As such, I'd argue that it would have to be "equally" annoying for a replacement to suitable and the only Katana that's really like that is the new Heaven's Cloud (which has also remained unused thus far IIRC). You could always try going with Ancient Sword or Sleep Sword on one of them though.

Shrug.