• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Worst Computers problems ever! (For a still working one)

Started by SolidSnakeDog, April 29, 2010, 05:50:32 pm

SolidSnakeDog

I got the most problem ever with my *still working* computer. (But if this keep up...)
Here is the list of problems.

1.No sound if i dont restart the computer after i frist start it. (Just...what the fuck?)
2.The Hard drive is not showing anymore anywhere. Can't open it anymore. (Even in safe mode.)
3.Quite a few message pop up wen i start my com. (That the list of files that the com failed to load.
4.Can't use system restore at all. (I click on *Next* to comfirm but nothing hapend. Af if the bouton was broken..)
5.Can't format the computer. (Always some kind of error poping up wen i try and tried fixing it but failed.)
6.All anti-virus i had got shut-down. (Guessing The 3 year use must be over for em)
7.The regular internet explorer is not working al all.(I try to open it but nothing hapends.)
8.I had AVG free but it keep falling trying to updates (Tried going to there site but this is bloked for some reison. Was able to enter the site once and tryed to redownload AVG free but the download link is death for me.

:gay:
Guess this is time to screw the com i got and get a new one. Or try to get it fixed and get a better video card at the same time, (Mine is quite bad,got a Geforce 5700 card. Most people today got 8000+ and most game require at less 6000 or more to run.)
Memory and phys memory is aslo low. (78GB of memory and 53200ko of phy memory.)
So...yeah. Do you think this is better to get it fixed and geting a new graphic card or geting a new one?

Oh there is one good thing : I got an external hard drive so i can transfert the stuff i want if i ever get a new computer.

SilvasRuin

These instructions can be immensely helpful.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware- ... t2852.html

I personally use Spybot - S&D and Avast! free home edition.  If I were to take a wild guess, though, I suspect there might be something wrong with your motherboard.  I could easily be wrong.  It's just a hunch.

SolidSnakeDog

Guess i will take a look at this.
Oh...by the way, Spybot is actually an malware. Same thing about Spydoctor.
But since you got other kind of protection it should not cause u any problems.

SilvasRuin

Er, Spybot - Search and Destroy is not malware.  I'm not sure where you heard that it was.  It is the single greatest, and free, security tool I have ever found for a computer.  If it was malware of the nature of spydoctor, it would be harassing me about making a payment or purchase.

Though... Malwarebytes might be better.  I haven't used that program except for when I revived a laptop from a trojan infection.  I don't have enough experience using Malwarebytes to compare the two, assuming they are comparable and not like apples and oranges.

SolidSnakeDog

2 of my anti virus i had in the past was actually detecting Spybot as a malware.
And the anti-virus i had was legit : I Got em form a store selling computers and anti-virus/spyware tools. That is aslo a popular store that you can find about anywhere.
Shame i don't seem to remember the store name...but i know there sell about anything for computers.

This is wy i belive spybot is a malware.
Btw...norton antivirus is probably the biggest crap ever...never detected anything for some time so i killed it and put news one istend.After using em, there detected...MORE THAT 600 VIRUSES and over 1500 Malware! Course this was years ago but still...what a shock. Made me thing if the computer was infected on purpose before there sold it...still i fixed all this crap at that time.

But today...seems like my com is dying...slowly...and i cant format/restore data anymore so i can't do much to prevent the worst case senario.  :x

SilvasRuin

Oh yeah, Norton is complete and utter shit.

You've had this computer for how long...?  It might just be wearing out finally.

SolidSnakeDog

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Oh yeah, Norton is complete and utter shit.

You've had this computer for how long...?  It might just be wearing out finally.

Well...i had it for about 8-10 years  :|
I think this is about time i get an other one, or get it fixed and get the lastest graphic card so it can play games on the CP that is made today easly.

But im not sure about that...a good card cost alot. (id say about 200-300$) And the repar cost will probably be around 100-150$.

Making me wonder if i should just get a new one..may be more benefits that just reparing and geting a new card in the long run...

degrofm

8-10 years is a LONG time for a computer. If it's really that old, I'm not at all surprised that it seems to be kicking the bucket finally. I'd try to get a new computer, if that's at all possible.

VampragonLord

mines about 6 years old.... speakers go off if the computer idles (and wont come back on without restart)
It occasionally beeps at me when i turn it on, which ive learned is code for "kick me and ill work"
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

SolidSnakeDog

Maybe id get a new one but,(*gasp*)
My dad do not want to do anything about the computer shop i want to look for a com.(Still can't remember the dam name.)
Saying i got some games here and never worked so there are to blame...yeah right.

There are not to be blamed on for that...my CP was just too weak to play em. (Ok one of em DID have all the requirement and that game never worked.
He istend want to get a CP form a random shop. (And very FAR form the best ones i'd say.)

One thing i hate about computer games, you never know if this will work or not.
Even if u have the requirements. And if u can't play em cause you are unlucky, you CAN'T return it to get your money back! I Know wy, but this is a really big kick in the nuts for me.)

Anyway, the computer i got right now was one of the most powerfull at the time i got it. Just a shame that now today, this is weaker that most PC's.
What a shame...

Zypher

damn.... my comp just turned 9 this year

<_<
*pets his old Sony Vaio tower*
be strong.......
Doing a lolhaxx playthrough of WotL 1.3

Xifanie

We need to invest way less money in a computer than we once did. Just an example, 2 years ago my GE-Force 8600 cost me 56 bucks (512mb DDR2). 3 years earlier my brother paid $300 for a 256mb graphics card...
You can have a very good computer for $300-$400, excluding the monitor, by building it yourself.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

SilvasRuin

Building your own computer is the best route you can take, but... that can be a little daunting the first time.

Just stay the hell away from E Machines and HP computers.  Those brands like to have very bizarre problems.  My uncle's E Machine would black out while playing Starcraft (that's the ORIGINAL Starcraft), and you'd just have to sit there and wait for it to revive itself.  It was like some strange forced hibernation that would end at random and had no explanation.

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Building your own computer is the best route you can take, but... that can be a little daunting the first time.

Just stay the hell away from E Machines and HP computers.  Those brands like to have very bizarre problems.  My uncle's E Machine would black out while playing Starcraft (that's the ORIGINAL Starcraft), and you'd just have to sit there and wait for it to revive itself.  It was like some strange forced hibernation that would end at random and had no explanation.

Mine had a similar problem with the exact same game.  It would have a black line separate half the screen and then shift the entire game 15% to the left, so you could never see what was entirely going on.  That and it would overheat immediately.

As for making a computer, it's not too bad.  All you need to know is how to take the computer apart, how to put it back together, what you want, and what is compatible with what.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

SolidSnakeDog

Bulding one? May be a good idia. But the parts are not sold anywhere around my place...(Unless i go to the closest place that probably got some...after 5h of driving? dam. (And idk anyone who is making em...)
Too bad there are not anything like this around my place.
I don't really have a choise but scrap this idia even if this was probably the best one.

But on my case, all i (probably) need is a better video card,if i ever get it repared and changing the card, it should work like a new one.But im not decided yet.

Funny you guys talk about starcraft...mine stopped working for some time.
The *Start game* image pop up after puting the CD and i click *Start* and nothing hapend after that.

SilvasRuin

I used the TigerDirect online computer store.  NewEgg is another one, but I got shitty service from them last time and only one part was cheaper than on TigerDirect.

I'll again say that some of the problems you described sound like the motherboard itself may be wearing out.  A video card replacement wouldn't be enough in that case.  But yeah, you might be able to salvage parts from your current computer.  Depends on just how many of them are wearing out on you.

Mega_Tyrant

I built mine 2 years ago (first build for me). Purchased all the hardware from newegg.com.  Spent only about 1100-1200 bucks.  Got lucky because my in-law is friends with a guy who works for Microsoft so I got the retail version of Vista Ultimate for like 14 bucks.  Been lovin' it ever since.  My only complaint is that I'm pretty sure my CPU (Phenom 9850 running at stock 2.5GHz) is bottlenecking my crossfired GPUs (two ATI 4850s).  Oh, also my room get warm as frickin' hell when my computer runs for extended periods of time.

Building one yourself is the way to go.  My parents bought a pre-built from Best Buy for my sisters and it goin' to hell right now, and they can't do anything about it.
RAWR!

gojoe

get a psp, run a windows emulator.

J/K

Even walmart has decent computers nowadays or at least bearable (just don't get the cheapest one which is almost guaranteed to be an emachine).
I never learn from my mistakes.