• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:32:16 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Check for Weapon Element

Started by Mega_Tyrant, June 26, 2010, 08:53:27 pm

Mega_Tyrant

June 26, 2010, 08:53:27 pm Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:42:24 am by Mega_Tyrant
Is it possible to create a formula that checks the element of the equipped weapon and then decides if the skill is available for use or not?  Kinda like how swordskills are only useable when swords are equipped.  What I want to do is create a set of skills that are only available when the element of the equipped weapon matches the element of the skill.  For example take the Black Mage.  It's main skills are based around Fire/Ice/Lightning, by assigning elemental properties to the various weapons when equipped they would allow access to the various elemental skills, at the same time when the element on the weapon doesn't match that of the skill the skill becomes unavailable.

So basically when the Fire Rod is equipped then Fire/Fira/Firaga/Firaja become usable, when the Ice Rod is equipped Blizzard/Blizzara/Blizzaga/Blizzaja become useable etc.  Then some weapons could be assigned multiple elements and that weapon would open up multiple elemental skills so a dual elemental Fire/Ice weapon would open up both sets of spells.

It's a concept I thought of with the goal of finding a way to make Equip Change more critical to a battle's outcome.
RAWR!

philsov

not so much a formula per se, but what you're asking is doable with the ability requirement hack:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=953&start=260
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Mega_Tyrant

HOLY CRAP! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

Now to figure out how this excel sheet works lol.

But I got another question now.  I'm working on a WOTL ISO and that doesn't seem to have an SCUS_942.21 file anywhere.  Since the thread says I need to work with this file is there any way to fix this?

EDIT:  NVM, it seems the PSP version really is based off of the japanese version of the game. Did a search of the forums and found out that for the psx version the japanese equivalent of SCUS_942.21 is the SLPS_007.70, which the WOTL ISO has.
RAWR!