• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:08:48 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Any issues with applying one .FFTpatch over another?

Started by Devon_v, June 11, 2010, 06:26:38 pm

Devon_v

I tried searching, but all I got was an answer to an unrelated question I had (go random luck!), so I'm asking here.

Does FFTPatcher, as I assume, only write the actual changes that I make into the .FFTpatch file? As such, can I apply one .FFTpatch over another, with only the specific changes from the game default settings being altered (those highlighted blue), and the remainder of the initial patch remaining intact?

(And yes, I'm aware that some unintended results would be possible if one patch changed something that an unrelated item in the other was relying on.)

Essentially, can I use FFTPatcher to work on a custom character, and then later patch that character into any version of the game, vanilla, 1.3, Complete, Compleasytype, etc.?

Thanks again.

philsov

its a complete overwrite.

You're better off getting a good base file and modifying that in fftpatcher.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Devon_v

That's...odd. So I need to wait for a stable version of a hack and import that specific patched ISO into FFTPatcher.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the answer.

Actually, second question: I make a patch with my custom character, apply to a vanilla ISO, make a PPF patch out of it, and then apply that to another hack. All of the data (other than text and sprite data if TacText and Shishi have gotten involved) should be in the same places in all ISOs, and PPFs do only contain the difference between two files. Anything stopping that from working?

philsov

or write down what changes you make so you can more easily do it again.

as for ppf stacking, I've never heard of an iso being double-ppf'd and having any level of success.  It's worth a shot, but I'm skeptical.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Devon_v

I'm planning at least four characters, and I hate doing stuff more than once for no good reason. :)

Thanks for the answers.