• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:05:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Richard Dawkins New Evolution Book

Started by Archael, September 04, 2009, 09:58:24 am

SilvasRuin

September 06, 2009, 04:17:41 am #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Bah.  The bible doesn't say don't believe in evolution in order to be saved.  It says believe in Jesus to be saved.  Considering that is the only belief that is supposed to matter, Christians arguing about any other point seems like a waste of time and energy to me.  Heck, some Christians even believe evolution is a part of God's plan.  There's no real point in Christians arguing about something the bible didn't say mattered.  Not for the sake of Christianity at least.

Archael

September 06, 2009, 04:20:46 am #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "bisekibungaku"Actually, my evidence has just as real as yours.

The Bible (ASV) says this:

blargh

That's what's been happening.

your evidence has just as real as mine?

give me a single piece of evidence that is as strong as the observable  chemical and anatomical similarities of related life forms between species, the recorded genetic changes in living organisms over many generations,   the fossil record of change in earlier species, Homology, Embryology, and/or Genetic Mutations that is in favor of a god or a religion (take your pick)

QuoteThe Bible was not man-made; it was inspired. But obviously, If you don't believe G.o.d then you will discredit His Word.

the bible is man-made, you can go, in person, and study the documented history of how it was put together, what was left out, what was included, and what was edited, by... MEN

"inspired" or not, it's man-made, it could have been inspired by people on drugs for all I care, it's still man's creation

I'm not trying to discredit anyone's word except my fellow man's, which is not only fallible, but was written to serve their own ends

QuoteBecause there are plenty of witnesses around seeing animals turning into other animals, right? Wait, sorry. One guy who failed med school (Charles Darwin) is surely correct.

your previous posts are testament to the failure that is your understanding of evolution and speciation, I mean, you were seriously arguing that evolution can't be true because the beneficial adaptations within organisms can't happen fast enough before they die out

(I'm not even going to bring up your pathetic referencing of bible passages and threats of 'you better believe in x g.o.d or you're in for it'!)

QuoteIf St. Ajora had planted a seed in you, you would believe Him.
If He didn't, then you won't. And as a result, you will find out later (after you die) that you should have believed.
But I'm telling you it's better to start believing now than later.

QuoteI also don't understand why there is frequently a heated debate about Intelligent Design / Creationism vs. the theory of evolution(particularly Darwin's spin on it). To me, they don't appear to be mutually exclusive.

biology professor from brown university rips apart intelligent design and explains why it's incompatible with the fact of evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

Quote"1+2+3+4 is true" isn't even a statement, and that is a non-sequitor analogy and makes little sense to the point at hand. This is logic. If A exists, B exists, C exists, and D exists, and E is the result of A through D existing, then E must also exist as well.

Generic variation exists.
Genetic mutation exists.
Environmental factors exist.
Natural selection exists.

Therefore the evolutionary process is true.

^ this x 1000

if you argue against this, you're either a blind fundie that refuses to acknowledge reality to favor your own delusional beliefs, or you're trolling

xx

Redux

September 06, 2009, 08:13:58 am #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Redux
How did i miss this little topic.

k3yblad3

September 06, 2009, 11:03:48 am #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by k3yblad3
can't we all just get along?

boomkick

September 06, 2009, 11:12:13 am #44 Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:15:06 am by boomkick
Quote from: "Voldemort"I'm not trying to discredit anyone's word except my fellow man's, which is not only fallible, but was written to serve their own ends

Religion is made for a few reasons:

1: To save the common people. (Buddhism)
2: To control the common people. (Catholic)
3: To justify an action not normally acceptable in civilized society.
4. To slightly nullify and broaden the concept of death. (Almost every religion out there, except Math and Science)
5. To either increase the importance of life or to degrade its meaning (Almost every religion out there)

Or if there is a G.O.D:

6: To strike down all non-believers.

philsov

September 06, 2009, 12:43:24 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote[The blind living] That... in a sense... is de-evolution.

No, not really.  Fitness just got redefined.  

:P
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Vanya

September 06, 2009, 05:25:24 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
What irks the hell out of me is the close mindedness of the ppl trying to disprove evolution. Like has been stated, Christianity has nothing to do with evolution or science for that matter. It's like trying to disprove apples because of your belief in a tire iron. (At least the tire iron is tangible evidence.) The bible, not once in it's entirety, nor in any of the mistranslated versions or in any of the removed gospels ever tries to explain how anything that G.o.d. created works. It has been proven in a court of law that the overbearing fundamentalist organization that tried to push "Intelligent Design" was just repackaging "Creationism" which is in no fathomable way a scientific theory. Faith cannot be be quantified and the so-called Christians that tried to do it in an attempt to muscle their belief into the curriculum of other ppl's children should be viewed by Christian eyes as the worst kind of sinners. The devil wasn't punished for disagreeing with G.o.d., he was punished for his arrogance. But then again these are the same ppl that claim to preach the word of Christ, yet conveniently ignore all of his teachings and those of the Old Testament (read: the Jewish "Bible").

Here's a good example of this sort of thing...

Quote from: "bisekibungaku"The Bible (ASV) says this:
"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools...

How is gaining wisdom from the Bible and then professing yourself to be right any different from what the ancient Isrealites did during Moses' absence or any different from modern man doing it through his observations of science?

Here's a quote from the Bible for you:

Quote from: "John 8:7 (ASV)"But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her".
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Quo

September 06, 2009, 06:31:52 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Quo
First of all, good post, Vanya. You speak of truth and wisdom and whatnot...

Quote from: "Vanya"The devil wasn't punished for disagreeing with G.o.d., he was punished for his arrogance.
This is a bit of a side-note, but I honestly don't blame him. The Old Testament G.o.d. was an enormous prick. And the testaments of his actions account for some of the more horrendous, inhumane, and despicable acts in human history. Granted he was intended to scare ancient man into following order... still, in this light, I side Lucifer.

Back on topic, though, what I don't understand is how people can push Intelligent Design and/or Creationism as more than just their own imagination. It's like me saying "I think G.o.d. is a flaming dog who created the world by taking a dump," and then actually trying to propose that to be taught in schools...

Any crack-smoking psychopath can make shit up and call it a theory. And he's got the right to believe in whatever he wants. But should every single person's beliefs be taught in school? Or just the Christian's...?

Vanya

September 06, 2009, 07:04:41 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
True, except he can't even call it a theory, because by definition a theory is a system of facts.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Quo

September 06, 2009, 07:10:26 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Quo
Then "Creationism"/"Intelligent Design" isn't a theory... :razz:

Kaijyuu

September 06, 2009, 08:57:40 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "k3yblad3"can't we all just get along?
Nope. Then the chirstians/athiests would win (depending on which side you're on).
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

September 06, 2009, 10:11:26 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
What if you're both?
¯\(°_0)/¯

DarthPaul

September 06, 2009, 10:34:42 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Vanya"What if you're both?

This is a good question. I was born Baptist but have ended up in the middle of Baptist and Atheist beliefs.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

September 06, 2009, 10:52:38 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
not all theists try to deny evolution just because it conflicts with some of their fundamentalist beliefs, and not all theists try to justify negative actions with their faith (not all theists participate in these actions)

I don't have a problem with those

Vanya

September 07, 2009, 09:15:29 am #54 Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:13:03 am by Vanya
I have a strong belief in deity. I also have a strong belief in deity not giving a rat's ass about what the hell you call your faith. I believe deity is more interested in our actions.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Quo

September 07, 2009, 09:33:32 pm #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Quo
Quote from: "Vanya"I have a strong belief in deity. I also have a strong belief in deity not giving a rats ass about what the hell you call your faith. I believe deity is more interested in our actions.
If I believed in deities, I would believe in this...

I believe in Vanya... :razz:

Vanya

September 08, 2009, 08:15:26 am #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I shall publish the world's shortest religious text ever. ^_^
 Then I will start a church so I don't have to pay taxes like so many lobbyist groups... bastards...
¯\(°_0)/¯

philsov

September 08, 2009, 04:29:22 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... new-guinea

Giant wooly rat.  Must be nice with none of the standard predators :)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Vanya

September 08, 2009, 10:10:02 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Cool.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

September 09, 2009, 12:57:10 am #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Aww. I want one.
  • Modding version: PSX