• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 02:32:09 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Somehow, I doubt it, but... (Re: Music)

Started by Hana, June 07, 2008, 06:15:27 pm

Hana

June 07, 2008, 06:15:27 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
I know we can extract the music from FFT and convert it into listenable forms et cetera, but here's a question, could we insert new music? Is that possible? I'm a musician and I think it'd be stellar if I could put some new tunes in. Not to dismiss Uematsu, his work is incredible and I love it to death. It is, in fact, what inspires me as a musician a lot of times. I was just thinking, you know, if I created my own patch for release, that having some custom music as well would be nifty.
I'll leave thinking up witty signatures to the prose.

Xifanie

June 07, 2008, 08:35:10 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
To make it short: not in the near future.

To make it long: We'd have to completely rewrite the sound bank and create songs in the same format FFT uses.

I'm no sound engineer, so I can't do it myself and have no idea of the amount of work that would require. Melonhead said a few days ago that he wished to do the same; not soon though.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Hana

June 07, 2008, 09:53:16 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Ah well. Thank you for the answer though! ^_^

Vanya

June 08, 2008, 02:59:02 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Not to nit pick, but Uematsu didn't do the soundtrack to FFT. It was Yasunori Mitsuda and another dude whose name escapes me. They previously worked on the Mana games and Xenogears. At any rate it would be cool to ba able to insert new music.

@Zodiac: Would it really be that hard? The music is sequenced stuff and they did figure out how to rip and emulate them with winamp plug-ins.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 08, 2008, 03:23:52 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Oh! Uematsu didn't? Thank you for correcting me Vanya. It makes sense...It doesn't really "feel" like Uematsu anyways. ^_^

Xifanie

June 08, 2008, 08:25:52 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
that hard? I just said I have no idea; I know nothing about music/sound creation or editing.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Vanya

June 08, 2008, 10:39:58 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
It sounded like that's what you were getting at, sorry if I put words in your mouth.

I don't know very much about it myself, but from what I have discussed with other ROM hackers it shouldn't be too difficult. The only thing that would be a thorn in our sides is that file sizes. As you know, until we can expand the ISO we'll continue to be forced to work with constraints.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 08, 2008, 06:29:22 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Well, it's not like I was planning on creating some grande multi-layered epic in audible form, more like some simple loops and melodies. Size shouldn't be TOO much of an issue, I don't think. Then again, the audio in Final Fantasy Tactics, while great, is very simple. Hm. Oh well, I won't expend too much thought on this, since it's currently not very possible.

Vanya

June 08, 2008, 11:51:49 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Yeah, you'd pretty much have to figure everything out on your own. At least at the beginning.
¯\(°_0)/¯