• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 11:49:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Custom skillset keeps getting capped at four moves,

Started by Hana, June 02, 2008, 07:10:28 am

Hana

June 02, 2008, 07:10:28 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
So, I wanted to modify Geomancers a bit. I've always loved the class, but disliked how...weak, it is (Speaking subjectively, of course). Well, I did a bit of updating, and now I have Elementals that are unique, with different effect areas, damage modifiers, etcetera, but I don't want them tied to topography, and for them to utilize MP instead. I got the mp bit figured out, but how exactly do I work around them being tied to the topography? I tried moving the elementals into a different skillset and giving that skillset to Geomancers, but it's capped at four abilities, regardless of how many I have learned, and those four abilities are always the first four in the list, whether or not I've learned them yet. I also tried changing Elemental's Action Menu from "Elements" to "Default" and that displays the whole list, but suddenly the skills are limited to one panel in range, no effect area, and 0% chance to hit.

Any advice? It would be greatly appreciated...I'm kinda tearing my hair out here, so to speak. Or should I just give this up as a Fool's errand and just up the Y value of Elementals to make them stronger? >_< *Sigh* Anyway, thank you, in advance! I'm also sorry if this has been brought up before.
I'll leave thinking up witty signatures to the prose.

Vanya

June 02, 2008, 07:19:05 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Make sure all the Geomancy spells are set to normal type, then go to the "Action Menus" tab and set Elemental to <Default> instead of Elements. That *should* work, but I haven't tested it. Let me know if it does.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 02, 2008, 07:32:09 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Geomancy spells are default "normal" type. I tried it, again, just to be sure, it fails in the same way. Each spell has a range of one panel, zero percent chance to hit, no effect area. Possibly changing the type to something other than "normal"? Any suggestions?

VincentCraven

June 02, 2008, 08:11:17 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
You'll need to make completely new skills and put them in those blank spots. Geomancy does not work, as far as I know, when not linked to topography.  So just duplicate all the attributes, including the effect animation, and it will look exactly the same (though you will charge it like it was magic first).

Simply changing the skillset type from Elements to default makes them do absolutely nothing, so I believe that's the only way around that.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Hana

June 02, 2008, 08:15:29 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Make new skills huh? How would one give them the same graphic as the legit geomancy abilities? Please be aware that I'm fairly new to the patcher, and changing around graphics/palettes/what have you is not something I've experimented with. Creating blanks to have the same formula/mp cost/etcetera I can do, but I don't know how to make them look the same, or name them.

Vanya

June 02, 2008, 01:49:34 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I DO know this one! There's a pull-down list under the AI box marked "Effect:". just pick out the animation from that list.
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

June 02, 2008, 01:51:41 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
But... for the skillset with four moves... which current skillset are you adding to?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Hana

June 02, 2008, 05:20:22 pm #7 Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:26:41 pm by Hana
Vanya, thanks for the tip! I'll try that right now. ^_^

LastingDawn, I tried it with a ton of different skillsets from Yin-Yang Magic to skillset 80 (blank) (and several other "blank" skillsets) and I also tried adding to dimension magic. They all got capped at four.

Edit: I see no such box. We are both on the same page here, right? FFTPatcher? Because I don't see any "Effect" box, aside from the area of effect under the "Attributes" section.

LastingDawn

June 02, 2008, 05:23:34 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Interesting... what character are you trying to assign these too?

Art of War

Vanya

June 02, 2008, 05:27:08 pm #9 Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:38:27 pm by Vanya
I believe she said it was Geomancer.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 02, 2008, 05:27:37 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Just a generic, everyone would have access.

Edit: Yup, geomancer.

Edit of Edit: Oh, and I'm a girl, by the way.

LastingDawn

June 02, 2008, 05:38:39 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
How odd... it is a normal class... hmm.. The only thing I can think of is that Geomancers are in some way highly special case, therefore the rules only give them four skills, though that seems rather ridiculous... they aren't monsters after all...

Art of War

Hana

June 02, 2008, 05:43:14 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Just a theory, and this is most likely complete bollox, but what if if the skill box won't expand due to the fact that Elementals are not recognized as ordinary skills? I.E. they don't register with the game as belonging in a viewable skillset. If so, how could I change that? Like I said though, just a theory. I like the idea of just creating new abilities and naming them, but I don't know how. >_<

LastingDawn

June 02, 2008, 05:48:35 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well if that is the case, normally the box plain won't open, it will be blanked out, since you "lack the neccessities" for it. But you've obviously tried to switch this to other skillsets and that didnt work. As far as my experience goes it is skillset, not class (type's another thing altogether...) that depends on what skillset, box and the like will appear as. Though there's another way to do this, a bit more complicated though...

If you switch the sprites of Lancer and Geomancer (not even sure if that's possible due to size limits...) you should be able to place the Jump skill perfectly fine on the Geomancer and use any skillset for your custom Geomancer. Of course that's a last resort kind of move, a bit of work.

Art of War

Hana

June 02, 2008, 05:51:56 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
I'll give that a shot, if all else fails. Putting some hard work into this is not something I mind at all. I've been at this patch for a good 4-5 days solid, already, creating, testing, modding, etcetera. *giggles* It's coming along fairly well, still needs full testing though, of course.

LastingDawn

June 02, 2008, 05:58:25 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well as you see there is plenty of room for ideas, once it advances a considerable amount you may want to post your patch for others to test, or just keeping such for updates.

Art of War

Hana

June 02, 2008, 06:35:44 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
I may just. I'm not sure if I want to post it, certainly not yet. It needs a lot more work still. For instance, I turned Bards into Sorcerers and Dancers into Assassins, but both skillsets need nerfing heavily. That's low on my priority list as of now because I'm not an uber-gamer, don't intend to take advantage of them, and the patch is only meant for my eyes, so far. (To note, I never, ever, use calculators in my normal run-throughs of FFT, aside from their RSM stuff, sometimes.)

Edit!: I think I know what happened/what's wrong. I don't even have FFTacText, or shishi sprite editor...I must have gotten a shortened version of FFTPatcher or something because those things weren't included, but according to the site now, they are. @_@ Well, I'm going to download this different set of editing stuff from the site and see what's up.

Edit of Edit: Oh my goodness. This one has so much...MORE to it. >_< I must have been using quite an out of date version.

Xifanie

June 02, 2008, 11:15:59 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Most sites to this day hosts the 1st of 2nd version released of FFTPatcher, this is really, really terrible.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Hana

June 03, 2008, 01:04:23 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
It certainly set me back a fair amount of work. >_< Oh well. ^_^

Edit: Well, regarding the original problem, it seems that Geomancy spells are intrinsically linked with the topography. Every attempt by me to change that has been met with failure. I created an entire new set of moves, emulating the geomancy abilities precisely, added them to a different skillset, and the same limit of four happened, plus the moves were glitched. I also tried them in the regular "Elemental" skill set, still glitched, still limited to four. I put the abilities (not the created ones, the legit ones) on a different class (Oracle) to see if the same thing would happen, and yes, once more it was limited to four. It seems that Geomancy is as of now un-editable in any major way, but please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. For now I'm just going to return it to normal.

Vanya

June 03, 2008, 11:27:05 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
When you made the duplicate skills what skill set did you put them in and what job did you use the skill set with?

The thing I want to make sure of is that you aren't trying to use a skill set with a job other than the one it was originally intended for. For example the only skill set that the Black Mage job can use without glitching is Black Magic. Only monsters seem to ba able to use skill sets interchangably.
¯\(°_0)/¯