• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:18:28 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

I put on my robe and wizard hat... (D&D Forum RP)

Started by Celdia, October 31, 2011, 04:42:21 am

Celdia

So the topic has come up in chat more than a few times now and I've found myself with more free time than I like while I'm at work, so I thought I might try my hand at a D&D game here on the forum. I also need some kind of break from working on just CCP all the time. Gotta have some variety.

Thing is, if I do have enough people interested in a game, it will have to be a different type of game than the conventional style you'd see if everyone sat at a table and was throwing dice about. This will hopefully be updated with some regular frequency and I would expect players to be able to keep up with that. If you don't frequent the forums all that much or aren't sure if you'll be able to devote some little bit of time to this every couple of days then I would ask you to refrain from signing up so that someone else with more time could play instead of everyone waiting around for turns to expire.

I'll be basing my game mostly on the 3.5 Edition rules but I'll be running fast and loose with them. I intend to borrow heavily from Raven's style of play from Curse of the Viper with the Battle Panes as well as the simplified character data. If you're looking for something more traditional then this game probably won't be to your liking. If you're looking for something a little different from the norm but still at least vaguely familiar, then read on.

I'm posting this here to gauge general interest and gather a few more players. I've already spoken with a few people about it and I have enough bodies for about half of a party so far. I will be putting up a more detailed post with some information about the game world (a homebrew campaign setting) I'll be using for the game later. What I really need to know, both from those of you interested and those of you already signed on for this, is what type of game you want to play? Do you want to do something combat-centric and mission-based like how Curse of the Viper was being run or do you want to do something more player-driven and sandbox style? At the table I'm more comfortable with the latter where I just form the world around my players and let them do as they will, adventuring and discovering the mysteries of the world as they go. That said, I can run a mission-based combat game if the demand for it is high enough. If there is another game style you would prefer, let me know what it is and I'll take it under consideration. For the few of you that actually follow these games but don't participate (I know there are some of you out there) feel free to voice your opinions as well as to what kind of game you'd like to see develop here.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

st4rw4k3r

I would love to join in.

And I prefer a less combat orientated game, and heavily set on story.

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

formerdeathcorps

I personally would like to see a RP where the whole thing functions like a collaborative narrative.  This means that reducing units to stats should be avoided, and player consensus (or the DM) should determine what is OP (even if this may seem arbitrary to those used to D&D).
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Celdia

@FDC: I ran a game like that once. Had everyone build characters and then I took away all their character sheets and just used general descriptive terms for everything. It was...interesting to say the least, but very labor intensive for me since I was running all the numbers behind the screen instead of just processing player input. A collaborative narrative isn't a terrible idea but the success of it requires a group that will play as a cohesive unit and not all want to split off to the four corners of the map each doing their own thing.

Ryqoshay

October 31, 2011, 06:25:39 pm #6 Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:48:30 am by Ryqoshay
Ryqo want to play! ^_^

Legends have been told for hundreds, nay, thousands of years of a mysterious old elven woman who faithfully follows adventurers wherever they may roam. Though she has never directly joined a party, she appears before them without warning, save a pleasant aroma surrounding her. Her voice sounds different to each individual and brings with it memories of one's grandma. Even those who have poor relationships or have never known their grandparents have claimed that happy "memories" filled their minds when the woman spoke.

For the paltry sum of a few silver, adventurers may enjoy a meal unparalleled by any they may have had before. If the party is willing to share stories of their antics, they will receive a healthy discount. And if the party's bard can weave the story into a song, why then, fine friends, you may partake what you desire free of charge. Regardless of the price paid, the delectable delights instils upon the parry several beneficial qualities that often prove invaluable as they press forward in their goals.

As she has a penchant for using berries in her creations, she has earned the title "Berry Mama." Indeed, her most famous dish is a berry infused custard known for its health restorative properties. However, despite the fame, it is a name she neither declines nor endorses. When asked her name, she merely smiles and either declines answer or says she has been known by many names over the years.

A party will know they have earned the Berry Mama's interest when a sweet sent of baking pies wafts over them. Sure enough, around the next corner or behind the next door, they will find a rickety old stand that appears to have been overgrown with grape vines and berry bushes. Despite this, Berry Mama cooks with an open flame and bakes in a stone hearth, neither of which have any effect on the surrounding foliage. She will greet the party warmly and invite them to view her wares, asking if they have stories to share.

Eye witness accounts have placed the Berry Mama in back allies, in small clearings, random roadsides, the heard of dungeons and even other planes of existence. She appears and disappears in the same curious manner, and never while directly observed. Even the leftover food disappears as soon as it is left unattended. She has never been seen engaged in combat, indeed she is largely ignored by creatures. This has lead many to believe she is some sort of spirit, apparition or vestige capable of summoning itself.

Whatever she is, the Berry Mama is always a welcome sight for any adventurer.

(misspellings and typos fixed... i think...)
Hurry down the chimney tonight.

Celdia

formerdeathcorps

You know, we might as well keep the seriousness of the world, but have everyone pursue some obviously laughable pursuit.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Ryqoshay

Don't take gaming too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.

or was that life?

Meh, gaming = life, same difference.

Celdia

I have a feeling that is exactly how this will start.

Ryqoshay

Celdia

...right. Well, since it seems there is at least enough interest in some kind of game, I suppose I'll get started on a thread for it aside from this.

Feel free to keep posting ideas here. We'll reserve the other thread for the game itself and character data, etc.

Kalas

Looking at the roleplay, it's funny how I managed to be a more serious character.

Well, relatively.

Ryqoshay

November 03, 2011, 04:11:00 pm #15 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:23:00 pm by Ryqoshay
Why so serious, Kalas?

Wanna know how I came to be on Sephyr? Well, you see, my father was hooked on thistletorch. Do you know what thistletorch does to a creature of the Plane of Fire? ... Of course you don't, you're not from the Plane of Fire, are you. You pro'ly don't even know what thistletorch is, much less how easily it can tear apart a happy family! ... Alright, fine, we were't all that happy. My mother was never home, she was always off selling herself to feed my father's thistletorch habits, so she couldn't stop what he did to me. By the burning depths of the ninth level, how I longed to escape from the horrors he bestowed upon me. Words fail to describe so I shall not try. Perhaps were I fluent in Abyssal, I could give it a go, but I digress. But as time wore on, I came to enjoy the suffering, even crave it at times. I'm crazy aren't I, go on say it! Say "You're crazy!" Say it or I'll... I'll... actually I'm not sure what I would do, but it would certainly be crazy... Alright, I'm bored now... I'm going to go find some pretty rocks for the critter.

Celdia

No, you're not crazy.

You're completely fucking batshit insane.

Ryqoshay

November 03, 2011, 08:18:43 pm #17 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:23:46 pm by Ryqoshay
The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

Do you want to know how I came to be in Sephyr? I'll have you know I was born here. Yes, indeed, I am the daughter of a native Sephyrian sprite and an aspect of Hiran. I simply call myself a Lirai since it is easier for people to accept. But this plane has long since lost its appeal, so several centuries ago, I hitched a ride with a peculiar being known to many as the Berry Mama. Oh what fun we had, porting from place to place, and the stories we heard. I often would tag along with groups of adventurers for a while for fun, until we would encounter the Berry Mama again. Unfortunately, she had a particular attachment to Sephyr while I wanted out. So after a few decades, I left her to her own devices and sought out other means of extra-planar travel. At one point I found myself captured by a passive aggressive monstrosity that bestowed upon me a wand that cast portals with severe distance limitations. She forced me to traverse various labyrinths she had devised, but quickly grew frustrated as I was able to regularly fly to my objective instead of relying on the stupid wand. She teleported me out of her domain and into the infinite layers of the abyss where I became enslaved by a balor known as.... oh what was his name... ah yes, Lord Xyniixy, that's right. Ughn, the memories of the physical labor they forced me to do still sends shivers through my wings. Thankfully, some foolish mortals tried to invade his sanctum and I was able to escape through the portal they had used. Unfortunately, this lead me right back to Sephyr... yay... So here I am, stuck once again. I haven't seen Berry Mama in a while and I haven't heard any good rumors about other caster types capable of leaving this deity forsaken place. However, I did come across a few of Xyniixy's henchmen out looking to recapture me. I told them I wasn't the fey they were looking for, as I am perfectly fluent in Abyssal... and they believed me. I swear to Karla, the only way those lesser demons can raise their intelligence is to fly strait up... uhm... where was I going with this?

Celdia

So. Since there is no actual name for this campaign yet, I'm taking suggestions to put up for a vote. God help me.

Feel free to post your suggestions here. I will probably put up a poll in this thread once the game is underway and we've gathered a few options.