• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:02:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

CCP - Discussion Topic

Started by Celdia, June 24, 2011, 02:41:55 pm

ShinHadokenman

Has anyone played the updated patch? I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the tactician class?
  • Modding version: PSX

Celdia

TigerKnee also reported an issue with the Tactician class. I have to assume there is some conflict in ASM hacks that I need to work out. I haven't had a chance to go over it all yet but my initial appraisal of it shows that it should be working correctly. Sadly in the world of game hacking that means nothing. -_-
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

ShinHadokenman

July 06, 2011, 05:03:48 pm #22 Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:05:09 pm by ggx2rking
Would you like me to test the classes to the best of my abilities?  To see if their are any other problems (but I think its just that class).  I love the tactician class. It was after I applied the new patch that I started having trouble with tactician. I used a clean iso.

Celdia

July 09, 2011, 12:36:27 am #23 Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:46:58 am by Celdia
Hey gang, quick question to those that have played: Should the Nomad's Updraft ability lose its CT so there isn't the bug of setting the skill to charge, moving, and then losing the action? In an attempt to balance this, the MP cost may go up and the hit% would likely drop. Thoughts?

Edit: @gg2rking - I'm working out the issues with Tactician currently as best I can. Looks like ALMA and the ARH don't play well together. Hopefully I'll have an answer for it soon.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Celdia on July 09, 2011, 12:36:27 am
Hey gang, quick question to those that have played: Should the Nomad's Updraft ability lose its CT so there isn't the bug of setting the skill to charge, moving, and then losing the action? In an attempt to balance this, the MP cost may go up and the hit% would likely drop. Thoughts?

Quote[01:39] ravenofrazgriz: To your QQ on Nomad, I'd say yes solely because leaving it in the current state leaves a bug in the game, and that makes the game look sloppy.
[01:39] Celdia: *nods*
[01:39] Celdia: Post as such then.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

ShinHadokenman

Ah I didn't mean to seem like I was complaining. I just wanted to see if you needed a tester for the classes. I have no issues concerning the new patch anyway. Anything done on this site is better than what I could imagine anyway lol.

TigerKnee

I might be going into the colliery with the the unique characters maybe, although I'll have to savefile edit JP for them since I don't want to grind them up.

Anyway, my Mustadio analysis from a bit of testing and theory.

Mustadio: Well, first off, the new skill formulas means if you want to use Holy/Dark/Flame Kick you can't quite use the Alchemist as main class effectively, since it has gimpy stats. You can't use it on Gunslinger since it also has gimpy stats but then again, if you do try Gunslinging/Engineers you'll have a bit of redundant moves. Let's see... Enchanters... well, they have gimpy stats too.

This is a bit of a problem. Mustadio REALLY wants Two Guns in his Support ability slots. If you put Item secondary with Engineer main there's no space to slap on Throw Item unless you want to gimp your HP with Heavy Coat and not be able to use Rogue Camoflauge.

With the old formula, you could just go Alchemist to get Innate Throw Item and then slap on Two Guns on the class but yeah, can't do that anymore.

As a level 42 Engineer, Mustadio has 9 PA and 7 MA (assume equipment is twinking for speed). Holy/Dark seems to be using the Elemental formula which uses both PA and MA and deals like 70 damage.

The best storebought gun is 7 WP, meaning 49 damage. Balk battle gives you Inferno for 9 WP and a generic Gunslinger has a Stone Flintlock for 8 WP respectively, meaning 81 and 64 damage respectively.

So while it does deal more damage than Rifles, once you get Inferno/S Flintlock, unless you have someone throwing Ambrosias at Mustadio, using Holy and Dark Shot will... more of less give you the same damage, since Holy weakness is hard to take advantage of and is there any monsters even weak to Dark? You'll really only use Dark Shot if you're fighting the rare enemy immune or resistant to Holy (which means... Ultima Demons I guess) and it's not much of a difference from just shooting them.

Of course this is from my Chapter 4 save game. I have no idea how it is for Chapter 2 when Mustadio first joins you. Thinking about it, the Speed twinks equipment come pretty late (and Balk is the only guy who has the best Speed hat in the game... twice), and Mustadio can't Equip Armor in Engineer, which means your "best" option for early game is to twink for Magic with Bishop Miter and Dried Herbs. Necklace of J would probably be nice but I never did get it (is it even possible?)

As mentioned above, Engineering doesn't quite work as a secondary because a lot of classes either has gimpy stats or can't use guns so no Two Guns. The fact that Two Guns basically doubles the damage just about every skill that isn't called Flame Kick means you pretty much want it in your support slot.

On the rare class with both decent/good PA/MA multipliers who can't use Guns such as Vanquisher, well... I don't think they'll outdamage two guns. Eh.

So what secondary to give Musty as Engineer? If you use Item you're going to have to accept having only a 1 panel throw range. Blitz probably isn't worth carrying with 110 PA multiplier without Attack Up. If you're going speed twinking I guess he could be your Bandit but without propositions it pretty annoying to train said class. Engrave could be fine if you go twink for MA... maybe.

My verdict is that Holy/Dark/Flame Kick is... still rather niche and asks a lot of hard questions to answer and I still don't know what the optimal setup is.

TigerKnee

Out of curiousity, does Cloud have the limitations on his Limit skillset removed, or is it completely untouched meaning he has to equip whatever replaced the Materia Blade in the original game code (Well, Executioner Axe is the item you find in the volcano but...)

Celdia

I think I have him set to be like the other Swordskill classes so any sword should do.

Dome

So, is this the final version of the patch?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

MysticKnightFF5

Nope! It'll keep going for eternity. CCP is awesome like that; you'll always have something new to play the next day you get on the boards. :P

Celdia

I'm told there's enough of it here to call it a completed patch. Mostly at this point I'm just fixing problems as they arise. The recent additions were more of an experiment than something I'd planned to change. I do have one more unique character idea in the works but other than that and some rebalancing, this is pretty much complete.

Who knows, if I get the drive to do it I might just change up the monsters some before I hit v2.0. Once I get to there though I will likely stop working on it and post the patch to other game hack sites. No idea what I'm going to do after that, really...

Dome

July 20, 2011, 01:46:20 pm #32 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:46:47 pm by Dome
Posting a "Complete" hack will give you more attention* :-)
Also, the news section of our site should advertise completed patches when the work is finished*

*IMHO

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Celdia

September 06, 2011, 01:50:57 pm #33 Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:27:57 am by Celdia
I've been working on getting the old Cloud events removed/remodeled to better fit Cyan's entry to CCP. Thanks to the awesomeness that is Raven's new EasyVent Editor I've already got one such event edit running perfectly. You can see the new event on my youtube channel or just hop right over to Raven's editor thread here where its in a post on the first page: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7706.0

Just to note: the new event is not in the patch yet. When I post the next update it should be. I'll note it in the update log when it is.

Yeah, those new events are in the v1.951 release. Go check it out.

Stretch

The skill Hamstring when done by someone with a gun equipped is amazing. The character flies across the map approaching the speed of sound!
Yeah, right

Stretch

Poor Wiegraf; he simply isn't attacking me. Thank you Stonestance! I guess he doesn't have the right secondary skills to do anything to me.
Yeah, right

Stretch

September 23, 2011, 10:55:24 pm #36 Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:59:03 am by Stretch
What effect does Faith have on Malak's abilities? Will more Faith make his unique abilities less powerful while making the generic abilities in his skillset more powerful?

EDIT: Also, what do you think about Ice Step vs. Windwalker? Walk on Water and Absorb Ice just isn't as good as Wind and Float. Float allows you to walk over water and more no problem. I think Ice Step needs something else added to it to make it a bit better, maybe just add some MP.
Yeah, right

Celdia

The UnFaith formula has been removed from the patch so never will low Faith be of use in raising damage. Someone reported a while back that Malak was still joining with low Faith but I'm pretty sure I balanced him out.

I'll think about that for Ice Step. I haven't done a +MP skill anywhere...though with the rework I intend to do of Warlock it may end up there. I was just making up different elemental move skills and Ice Step just ended up being rather vanilla in terms of style.

Stretch

Malak joined me with 31 Faith. I remember when making my own light variations to patches that fixing Malak's faith was harder than I thought it should be.
Yeah, right

Celdia

Yeah that appears to be a running problem here, too.