• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:04:50 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Do you think that, overall, WoTL is a disappointment?

Started by Dokurider, February 12, 2010, 03:47:45 pm

ffta707

Quote from: "thisisstupid999"
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"The special effects don't line up with the sound they make. Use Stasis Sword (or whatever they call it on the PSP), and you'll hear the effect hit before you see it hit.

Concerning the translation, I find it just as bad as the PSX one (though in different ways). Nostalgia however pushes the PSX one above the PSP one for me, though.

I have encountered nothing of the sort on my game...

I have.

Judgment Blade, is  what it's called.

Really a horrible game if you ask me. Why would anyone change "Stasis Sword" to "Judgment Blade."

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "ffta707"I have.

Judgment Blade, is  what it's called.

Really a horrible game if you ask me. Why would anyone change "Stasis Sword" to "Judgment Blade."

I must agree with you, some of the ability names are a little dumb sounding. "Stasis Sword" sounds much better than "Judgement Blade."

Hmm...maybe I'll use TacText and change the name's of all the ablilities to the names of the original WotL. That will be interesting...

DaveSW

I am quite fond of WOTL, but I also love the original.

For modding, I prefer the PSX version.
For playing through the game normally, and getting everything, I prefer WOTL.
For challenge runs, the original is the only way to go.

I actually like pretentious purple prose dialog, so I prefer the new translation.
F*ck the slow-down, if it really was going to be a problem, then gimp the graphics or something, but never, ever make a slow game slower.
I miss spell quotes and the dam fight, also, not being able to steal from Elmdore is really disappointing.

As for multi-player, I won the spouse lottery, my wife loves SRPGs too, so we just play multiplayer together.  The multi-player fights are a lot of fun, and have a great deal of variety in them.  Uber black chocobo with 10X HP and counters for 999 damage...

Overall it was a little disappointing, as there is no excuse for the slow-down, or removing the better aspects of the English PSX version.  But I still love it.
I am awesome.

R-Alalia

Well I think the main issue was laziness. And I suspect tactical RPGs are harder to balance than the normal turn-based RPGs. I don't think anyone has a clue what they were thinking for the slowdown though.Am i right or not???

st4rw4k3r

I think that WoTL was a fine game.
I could care less about the names of skills or such. Its the game its self. (Except Tailwind)
The games are basically the same thing. One is just portable and the other isn't.

Also I hear a lot that the game lags. I have yet to see this happen.

I personally don't care what version of the game I play, both are very mod-able and great games.

theultrawolf

the lag = hell. and i agree with many people = everyone got used to the crappy translation of the original that the new one...doesn't seem right. I wouldn't consider it a disappointment though. I do think the storyline was much better explained, played out, though. For instance, in the first playthrough I ever did of the original FFT back in '98 I barely understood the storyline at all after Chap. 2, and with WoTL it makes it hell of alot clearer.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: "R-Alalia"Well I think the main issue was laziness. And I suspect tactical RPGs are harder to balance than the normal turn-based RPGs. I don't think anyone has a clue what they were thinking for the slowdown though.Am i right or not???

It cuts both ways...tactical RPGs have more variables than turn-based ones.  This gives game makers more variables to add balance (and fun) with, but it also makes it harder to check every feature against the other.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Atma

i'll just put it this way... i've played through the original tactics (vanilla version and gamesharked like crazy) 20+ full playthroughs.  WotL... only finished it once.  
when i think of all the cool things about the game... the stuff they added in WotL doesn't pop into my head.  it just didn't really add to the game.  
i would have preferred if they just made a more definitive/complete version, like having any bugs fixed and making it widescreen.  i know they did that, and then some, but then they kept doing more to it, like adding 2 more random guest characters (even the original cloud was just to please all the FF7 fans out there) and changing all the script.
but the real kicker was after they fixed the bugs, then they added the worst bug of all... that damn skill graphic slowdown.  QQ
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.