• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Should I write a "Basic Spriting for Beginners" Tutorial?

Started by Jon, September 30, 2010, 02:09:56 pm

Should I?

No
2 (20%)
Yes
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 01, 2010, 12:22:17 pm

Jon

If enough people say yes, I will.

Edit: Or enough people convince me they have no idea what they are doing ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Mimi

I think it would be a great idea Jon. You could cover things like basic spriting, sprite recoloring, head swapping, and etc.
I know a lot of people here don't have the slightest clue of how to put together a sprite. I am definately one of therm. :-)

Jon

Okay, I count that as 1 for yes. Um, there was this guy called CidIII, I don't know if he is still around, who did write a tutorial, but it looks incomplete in places. Maybe I could write specific tutorials, like how to use Photoshop for spriting, head and arm swapping, coloring basics and replacing and changing colors easily, and then I would need help from others on a tutorial about portraits and another just on shading.

VampragonLord

great idea, but im not quite sure youd be "qualified" enough to do it properly. A basic outline/how to would be fairly helpful, and if thats what youre going for, by all means good luck, but something more "in depth" should be left to someone a bit more talented, as from what ive seen of your work, you still have problems with coloring, shading, shaping, etc. You have some fairly decent finished sprites, but i just think you need a bit more practice in before you attempt to teach others
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

Your absolutely right VampragonLord (is your name btw related to the Dragon Warrior series in any way?), I am not so skilled yet. I am proud of my Cannoneer and Link, but thats it. I was thinking a very, very basic tutorial. Just "how to", not "I am going to teach you how to make complex custom sprites that look awesome". Also, if I did some other things, like shading, I would ask for help, because I am still weak in some areas. I am by no means qualified for anything really, but that doesn't stop me. Wait, thats not exactly what I mean, what I mean is that I just want to help people. How about something simple like this:

Color replacement aka palette swapping
Head and Arm Swapping
Cropping
Basics on how to use Photoshop for spriting

I think that should cover most of the beginners problems. I would write it similar to the step by step "for dummies" style.

VampragonLord

do as you please, my opinion was voiced. Honestly if your heart is set on making something, dont let me stop you, just making sure you know your own limits. If you barely made a working car, sorta,  Also, my name is related to my name on gfaqs, which is based off a creature from adventurequest (which was what i was playing when i made my gfaqs account).
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

Huh? You finished mid sentence there Vamp, but I think I get the idea of what you were going to say. If you barely made a working car, don't tell others how to build one, right. I know, don't worry, I know my limits. Thanks anyways! :)

Kill_Bones

In my opinion, (yeah i know it doesn't really matter with me being a newb) you should do a "how to" video and post it here. That way you could show people the basics rather than tell them. It would be easier for someone to have the video up so they can see exactly where the things are and how to use them. :) I've played AQ before but I personally liked the makers' other game Dragonfable.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Jon

Ah, don't say that, everyone's opinion counts, and in this case especially newbs. I am planning on writing a guide for all of y'all! I will probably start it later this week.

ffta707

Please do, I know about shading and such, and am pretty decent at that. I have problems head swapping, and other body swapping.

Jon

Most of the time that just comes down to the opacity which you can easily change to something lower like 25% so its see through, then almost always align the heads by means of their eyes...okay I'll explain how to do this in detail later. Arms are about the same but a little trickier. I have decided (after 10 votes) that I will write it, will get started right away.

Kill_Bones

Quote from: "Jon"I will probably start it later this week.
So what's going on with this, you still writing it or changed your mind?

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Jon

I am getting around to it. So many things to do, so little time. Things on my hands are the following: finish Zack sprite, write the guide, make this weird Ramza head swap over King Delita, and also work on a Nu Mou Summoner sprite. Don't worry, I'll make it really good in the end ;)