• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:28:06 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Maybe, possibly, doubt it...

Started by Cottage Cheese, February 04, 2009, 09:16:44 pm

Cottage Cheese

February 04, 2009, 09:16:44 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cottage Cheese
So, I've been thinkin' about it, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I'd like to become a spriter. I know how difficult it must be, but I can't help trying it out. ^_^ Even though I don't have much confidence in my skills, would anyone like to help me get started? How do I begin spriting?
"I never blamed you... Not once."

---- Aerith G.

Llednar

February 04, 2009, 09:26:53 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Llednar
well even though I am not a spriter, I have some theories onto how it works.  

Every Thing in the game is a sprite, as you know.  Now then, lets take a look at Ramza's Chapter 1 sprite shall we.  This sprite is made up of many different images.  It has an image for turning left, right, up, down, a separate constant walking image for whenever it is facing any of these directions, getting hurt, blocking with a shield, using a spell, using a bow/crossbow, dying in any direction, and the list goes on to staggering lengths.

Now the way I see it, spriters have to make images for each of these actions.  That is why many of the "sprites" that are seen are actaully more pallette swaps not entirely new sprites, because the amount of work it takes to make an entire new sprite is insane to say the least.  So your job as a spriter would be to make images for everything and connect these images using code so that they flow naturally.

Am I far off spriters?

Xifanie

February 04, 2009, 10:00:21 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
You would get more help in the spriting forum.
To put it simple, you use shishi sprite editor to open a spritesheet (the closest looking to the character you want to make), then you export it to a bmp and edit the hell out of it. After that you can import it back into shishi to look the animations and/or save it back to a spritesheet file.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Llednar

February 04, 2009, 10:02:11 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Llednar
Was I right, Wrong, or somewhere in between?

Xifanie

February 04, 2009, 10:15:41 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I have no idea where you got that code stuff and there is nothing like making an image for everything.

Most basic sprites (standing and walking) are full body sized while most of the rest are only body parts (mostly arms) assembled. This is why you need to use shishi to make sure every body part is at the right place and doesn't look weird.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Llednar

February 04, 2009, 10:28:56 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Llednar
Well the code stuff was pure speculation on how to make the "walking" motion work right.  So shishi sort of keeps general shapes and stuff?  I remember in a programming class that to make a plane's propellers work in a cheap 2d game you had to have like 3 seperate images of the plane constantly changing.  Fortunantly we didn't have to make it, we just had to put everything together.

Vanya

February 04, 2009, 11:34:26 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Plus only the units and spell effects are sprites. (maybe the lines on the map, too.) Everything else is either a 3D bitmap or a simple image.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cottage Cheese

February 05, 2009, 10:03:31 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cottage Cheese
Thanks for replying, everyone! ^_^ It doesn't sound too awful hard... Or maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear. XD

---- Aerith G.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 10:13:11 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Cottage Cheese"So, I've been thinkin' about it, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I'd like to become a spriter. I know how difficult it must be, but I can't help trying it out. ^_^ Even though I don't have much confidence in my skills, would anyone like to help me get started? How do I begin spriting?

Spriting requires patience, alot of it... along with a good eye!

Best of luck if you decide to learn, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Cottage Cheese

February 05, 2009, 10:30:26 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cottage Cheese
^_^ Thanks! I hope I can catch on.

---- Aerith G.

LordNerick

March 14, 2009, 01:00:03 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LordNerick
completely out of context but: I LOVE YOUR picture of FLonne!!!!

sorry just had to!

Cottage Cheese

April 02, 2009, 08:48:37 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cottage Cheese
~^^~ Isn't she cute?

---- Aerith G.