• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:34:44 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Weekly Updates - Project News and Progress

Started by Jumza, December 05, 2022, 03:39:19 pm

Jumza

December 05, 2022, 03:39:19 pm Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:50:09 am by Jumza
Until the release of chapter 1 of the mod, I will be trying to post weekly updates about the project and its progress.

This first post will link to the various replies that I will make in this topic concerning each of the updates. Feel free to respond to them and discuss them here, or on the FFH Discord channel in #reach-the-future!

INDEX:
Update 1: Tactics Combo In-Depth Explanation
Update 2: Classic Mode Sneak Peek
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Jumza

TACTICS COMBO

Tactics Combo is the name of the skillset of the Hero job class, unique to the main character, Maine. Tactics Combo allows you to perform multiple actions in a single turn by working your way up Combo Levels. A combo can be a maximum of 3 actions, but can be stopped early when you need them to. Being able to choose from and use multiple skills in one turn by following certain conditions makes Maine a very interesting character to play from a strategic standpoint.

The description for the ability Light Spear, a level 1 combo skill

How does it work?
At each stage of the combo you can only select learned skills from the Tactics Combo set that are available at the level of combo you are currently in. Light Spear, Sonic Thrust, and Nova are the 3 skills available at Combo Level 1. You are at Combo Level 1 when you begin your turn, and any skill used in the Tactics Combo skillset will advance that level by 1. At combo level 2 and 3, the abilities available to you in the selection menu will change to the appropriate skills. Your combo will end after level 3 or if another Act selection outside of Tactics Combo is made.

The abilities you have available to you at Combo Level 2

What if I want to perform actions outside of the Tactics Combo skillset?
You can Move before, during, or after your combo begins. Using Attack or an ability from another skillset will end your combo and your turn will continue as normal. Using Wait will end your turn as normal. Wait-ing in the middle of a combo allows you to conserve your CT as if you had taken no action! This can be a great way to move up in the turn order while still making a difference on the battlefield.

Will Maine be like 3 times the level of his teammates if he's taking like 3 times as many actions?
No! Skills from Tactics Combo at combo levels 1 and 2 will not cause Maine to gain EXP or JP. This can be used to your advantage and disadvantage, low level challenge runs are common in this game and this is a way to maintain a lower level while still making meaningful actions in battle. Be careful not to end up with a Maine who is a significantly lower level than your party though!

The description for the ability Light Spear Cannon, a level 3 combo skill

So how many skills are we working with here?
In the chapter 1 release there will be 9 skills in the Tactics Combo skillset! But Maine is the main character of our story, and like Ramza I anticipate that he will gain more skills as the story moves forward.

I'm a FFT modder as well and I don't understand how you did this
I'm taking the opportunity to speak a little on how this was implemented, and I will for all updates where there is something of note to say about it! If you want to get into the real nitty gritty, feel free to chat with me in this topic here or on the Discord channel.
There is an ASM that I built that repurposes some flags from the FFTPatcher that allow me to note what level of combo the skill is. There is an extra check that was added to the decision of what abilities are shown in the skillset menu in battle, and in some very specific moments the game is overwriting key battle stats for the unit after combo skill uses that allow them to continue performing actions after using one (particularly 0x0186/0187/0188, Currently Units Turn, Movement Taken, and Action Taken respectively). A little deviation is taken for these abilities results as well, seeing an action as "missed" rather than "successful" or "successful and killed" prevents EXP/JP gain effectively (even if the action did succeed in hitting or scoring a KO!)

Thank you for joining me for Update 1! Next week I will be doing an update about Classic Mode as voted on by the FFH Discord!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Jumza

Classic Mode

Select your fighter and take on 3 challenges to win great rewards! Think you're up to the task?

An exclusive video preview!

How does it work?
As you gain new unique units throughout the story you will be able to take on their Classic Mode challenges! They will take on 3 fights unique to them, they are difficult but rewarding.

I did it once, but it was fun and I want to complete it again!!
You're in luck! You can absolutely repeat these challenges, beating Classic Mode with a character more than once will award them with some bonus JP to every job in the job wheel. This offers an alternate path to grinding new abilities for these characters.

What about my Generics?
Unfortunately generic units cannot participate in Classic Mode right now. This is a feature I may add in the future though, and if it's one you want be sure to let me know!

I'm an FFT modder and I don't understand how you did this
The implementation of Classic Mode is really only possible because of Xifanie's Event Instruction Upgrade Hack and the ability to capture controller input in events and react to it. Once you know that is possible, crafting a little menu like this one isn't too difficult. All of the text elements that appear outside of text boxes ("Character Select" and "Press Start") are EVTCHR images, which means they are actually units disguised as text  :lol:

You can also find this information and these updates on Twitter!

Pandemoniu

Looking forward to this!

Will we be able to learn about Guy next? He intrigues me the most alongside Maine.

Jumza

Quote from: Pandemoniu on December 20, 2022, 10:31:43 pmLooking forward to this!

Will we be able to learn about Guy next? He intrigues me the most alongside Maine.

I think a few character and story updates are definitely going to be on the way! Slightly slowed by the holidays, but they're coming!!

Pandemoniu

Quote from: Jumza on December 20, 2022, 11:59:52 pmI think a few character and story updates are definitely going to be on the way! Slightly slowed by the holidays, but they're coming!!

Wonderful! Looking forward to them!

Murse_Jon

All these changes seem so cool and very unique! I will be playing this soon! All you modders are amazing

kunli0

Amazing Challenging game. My only complaint is when are you going to finish it. It kind of ended in an awkward place. Amazing job though, you have managed to breath fresh air into a classic gem.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown