• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:22 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFTA2 - Question about Natural Selection

Started by Teomessos, May 25, 2022, 02:45:53 pm

Teomessos

So, after trying out a few other full game mods, I decided to Frankenstein together a mod of my own using inspiration from a few others. I'm really proud of it so far, I made Blue Magic really good.

The problem I keep running into, though, is actually the Scholar's Natural Selection. Taking a page from chocolatemoose's overhaul mod (v0.21), I changed all of Scholar's abilities to elemental copies of each other using the Ability Editor mod. Despite everything being identical to the others, Natural Selection maintains some of its old characteristics. With normal accuracy set, it has 0% accuracy in game. With perfect accuracy set, it does 0 damage. It seems like it bypasses the choice to pick a race like Natural Selection and then, because no race is chosen, operates as if no race was chosen and deals no damage. Is there something I'm missing? Some way I can fix this? It isn't just me, either. I've tried 2 mods, including the overhaul mod (v0.21) and it is the same. Screenshots for reference.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

chocolatemoose

I don't have Lennart's editor available at the moment, but if I recall correctly, 1) I removed Natural Selection in my mod and set the Scholar abilities to just work in general, without Natural Selection layered on top of them, and 2) Is Natural Selection one of the options under the Special Routine dropdown (top-right)? It's set to 00|None in your screenshots; that might be why it isn't doing anything. Have you used the ability editor to check how Natural Selection is configured in vanilla? That could point you in the correct direction.

Teomessos

Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding. I'm trying to turn Natural Selection to simply deal Wind damage to all foes, just like you did. Whenever I go to use the newly changed Wind spell in game, it has 0% accuracy and 0 damage. Even when I tried in your overhaul mod, it was the same. I'm assuming there is a remnant of the Natural Selection procedure stuck there like if you select viera, it does not damage bangaa, for example. Obviously, I could be wrong on the cause but the problem remains that whatever I do to change this ability slot, it has 0% accuracy and deals 0 damage.

chocolatemoose

To clarify, is the Ripping Gust ability broken in my mod too? Did you test the other elements as well?

Teomessos

Correct. The other abilities work just fine but the animation for Flare Star kinda messes up. It works but it's funky. I did not try changing Ripping Gust to be another element, though.