• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:17:13 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Tutorial Requests

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, September 17, 2012, 07:00:39 pm

RetroTypes

Quote from: whispered on July 29, 2023, 07:18:53 pmHey everyone! good evening!
I browsed the forum a little bit, searched on the internet as well, about FFT translation but I didn't find what I was looking for.
It's probably my bad that I didn't find it, honestly the infos within the forum is so scattered that we newbies can't find things and answers easily, somethings are probably within a "different" topic, I'll take a proper look when I find time for it.

My goal here is to learn how to translate the game and the mods, to make the mods available to my fellow Portuguese speakers.

So... It would be amazing if you could create a tutorial about that, not a complete guide (God bless you if it is possible  :lol: ) but just a start guide, like every tool you'll need, and proper practical examples using every tool (with images if possible) and the first steps that we'll need to do over and over again till everything is completed.

It will compile everything a person has to know, and get, to translate the game and the mods. I think it is like creating a translation section.

This will help everyone that wants to translate the game to other languages, or people like me that are willing to spend time to make a certain mod available to my friend that does not speak English.

Start with reading through my "where to start" guide to get an idea of what the basic tools do. For a translation patch, you'll need a lot of the tools at our disposal, but the majority of the editing will be done with Tactext and EVSP, our text and dialogue tools, and an image editor for the text baked into icons and whatnot.

We've had a few people do translations already, including German and Hungarian I believe. If you want to get in touch with those authors, I'd recommend joining our Discord once you've got the basics down and need assistance with the smaller details. Note that this will be a HUGE undertaking, so make sure you're prepared for a year+ long adventure!
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: RetroTypes

Ramza_purist

Hi there. Modding noob here. Very interested in what I think would be a simple mod. At least I hope so.

Basically I want to make a mod/hack that caps character growth based on their level. So EXP and JP wouldn't be able to go up once the character hits a certain level. The max level should correlate to where the player is in the story. So if the next story-line battle has enemies with a max level of 3, then the character becomes capped at level 4 and can't gain JP either. I want to mod the PSX version as I hear it's more supported and easier to deal with.

Nyzer

There's already a hack that exists that caps max levels according to story progress.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Ramza_purist

Quote from: Nyzer on March 26, 2024, 01:07:24 amThere's already a hack that exists that caps max levels according to story progress.

Do you have a link or know where I can find it?

ComplexMessiah

I have several questions. First i would like to change a item into a materia blade. Second I would like to be able to add spells to arithmancy (clouds limits, divine ultima, quake, tornado, Midgardsormr Grand cross, unholy darkness.) Secondly i made a new skill set and when assigned to another job it automatically learns those skills. I wish for it to like a standard class.  Third, if possible i would like to remove the male requirement for bards. Also i need to add to the move find pool items above FF in hex.
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: ComplexMessiah

RetroTypes

Quote from: Ramza_purist on March 30, 2024, 11:02:28 pmDo you have a link or know where I can find it?
It is included in the suite, under glain.xml in orgASM, called "Enforce Level Caps".

Quote from: ComplexMessiah on April 01, 2024, 02:35:31 pmI have several questions. First i would like to change a item into a materia blade. Second I would like to be able to add spells to arithmancy (clouds limits, divine ultima, quake, tornado, Midgardsormr Grand cross, unholy darkness.) Secondly i made a new skill set and when assigned to another job it automatically learns those skills. I wish for it to like a standard class.  Third, if possible i would like to remove the male requirement for bards. Also i need to add to the move find pool items above FF in hex.
Most of what you're trying to do is nearly impossible, unfortunately. Not sure what you mean by "changing an item into a materia blade" when that item already exists, unless you mean something like adding additional bonuses to it like ff7 did with adding materia to weapons, but if so that's in the "nearly impossible" category. Adding additional skillsets to Math skill is also super complicated, as it's pretty hardcoded, so that's probably out too. The auto-learned skills are because you have to make sure the unit has that skillset as its job's primary skillset, if a unit has a skillset equipped that they dont normally have access to, it defaults to treating every ability as learned. The bard class not being gender locked is a pretty complicated process, as it's checked in a LOT of places, but TLW's extra job hack might be your answer, as it allows the use of the female bard and male dancer data, so you'd be able to make a female bard that way. And finally, adding additional items will likely never happen for the psx version, as loading more than one byte for item IDs would have to be altered everywhere items are referenced, AND the data table for items would have to be expanded, which there isnt room for. If you want new items, you're gonna have to replace old ones.
  • Discord username: RetroTypes