• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:31 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Alpha Build

Started by Borman, January 16, 2016, 02:39:05 am

Borman

January 23, 2016, 06:10:58 pm #20 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:31:30 pm by Borman
No, there were a few full scenes in Japanese. I have a save from the area I think.

Edit:
Comparison of files. So only a couple of weeks early, but quite a few changes. Interesting!

LastingDawn

The Japanese version and the English version have several notable changes in JP and the like. A better comparison may be with the final English version and this Prototype. A shame that CD Mage doesn't show you total file sizes when it's an actual folder, but I guess you could open up each folder and examine their file sizes in that manner.

It is interesting all together though. The additions to Battle.bin means they've probably already fixed some of the bugs that are in the Japanese only release.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Kaijyuu

Will you be uploading the iso to the internets?
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

Already asked him that. He declined, since he spent so much money on it.

Kaijyuu

Alas. Should reconsider once it no longer gets ya any additional viewers.

3lric

Agreed, I still stand firm on my stance that there is nowhere better on the net to preserve it than with people who work with the game daily, or really, anywhere, so long as it is spread throughout the net for everyone to enjoy, like so many other rare games.

However, I had hoped for more to be different. Still waiting to see the treasure descriptions for the Sound Novels, I'm know the japanese in the books will be the same as both other versions anyway, but I'm curious if any of the treasure descriptions were different originally. Specifically for those 4 books.

Borman

The Internet isn't a perfect preservation tool. There are lots of issues with it, and it's something that I do a lot of research into and have explored doing properly backed research where I got my Master's degree. I've helped get many games online when it makes sense, not only financially (I always lose money, so it never makes sense hah) but also taking into consideration the game itself. I've also had games disappear after being uploaded online, too, thus the not-perfect park.

I don't really care about viewers. I stream to no one if I feel like it, just not a big deal. But I've had the opportunity to work with some amazing developers to cover amazing games. Im content knowing that my backup plans work fairly well for the budget I've allocated. I simply cannot afford a $1000+ loss on a disk, when this is one of many prototypes that have been on my radar for years. I dont see these games as an investment, but I also have no obligation to waste money either hah.  I'm also not going to come to a new community and ask for money for me to upload it though either. Im content to poke and prod at it right now in my time, and to share what I do find in it.

It's not always a popular opinion, but I've been doing it for 10 years with some great success.

3lric

Popular or not, we'll have to agree to disagree

If you upload something to the net, it spreads, that's a fact, no debating that. Uploading something has zero chance of making it disappear since not only does your copy exist, but then it exists on the internet as well, where it NEVER truly disappears, hence it is forever preserved, so nah, that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Nor does making any money off something you didn't make. The working with developers part is irrelevant here as we are talking about a game that is nearly 20 years old and I don't think you are working for Squaresoft.

Again, your reasons are your reasons, I'm just giving my opinion on the matter, it's your game and you can do whatever you want with it. I just don't even see the point of doing it this way because I don't see how you "lose" money by sharing it with people if you still own the game? I will never understand the 'investment, great success, etc, etc, etc' parts of your messages unless you are indeed trying to make money back off of these games, which kinda goes against the rest of what you said, not even sure why you mentioned that or the masters degree since they are irrelevant and provide no weight to the conversation :P

The internet may not be a perfect preservation tool, however if you got hit by a car tomorrow, or had a heart attack or something, it would be lost forever, just sayin'.

Honestly, I still only care about the one thing I've mentioned several times, yet you never comment back on, which is the descriptions for the Sound Novels. And the only reason I even want to see those descriptions for the Sound Novels is that I've used translations and months of my time to fully restore the Sound Novels for people to be able to download and enjoy, and would like to see the descriptions for them.

Xifanie

Idunno Borman, why come here in the first place if you're not going to support modding?
It just sounds like "Look at me, I have something that you'd want to probe at!" then rub it in our faces.

Just my 2 cents.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Angel

*Gestures to MAME for an example of a wildly successful preservation model that won't be going away any time soon *

I mean yeah, the Final Fantasy IX beta is pretty much impossible to find anymore, but it wasn't really so much a beta as a review copy with only two surviving discs. It wasn't notable enough to be kept alive on the hundreds of trackers it was delivered to. By contrast, you can still find nearly everything that was ever released by Hidden Palace one way or another.

I'm actually quite impartial to what you do with your copy - I'd be much more interested in a Japanese beta with the rough maps and scenes present - but I have to agree with Elric.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Kaijyuu

Copies being what they are, I don't see how making them reduces preservation. I presume you'll be as adamant in preserving the data whether others have a copy or not.

Unless I'm missing something and ripping the data literally destroys the original disc.

Xifanie

Well he obviously made an image already. Who would be dumb enough to spend $1000 on a game then play it, using the CD itself being almost 20yo and risk having it explode during gameplay?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Borman

January 25, 2016, 11:55:24 am #32 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:03:26 pm by Borman
I have uploaded at least one game online that has zero copies left, and the disk has succumbed to bit rot. And sadly, my backup systems were less good then, so the disk is gone. Things do disappear on the Internet. Another issue is when things get screwed with so the game no longer works as it should, as has happened to multiple prototypes online. My time of uploading things to the Internet is quickly coming to a close as I finish some promises that I made.

I mention my education because this isn't stuff that Im just making up. I've talked with and worked with professionals in the field of archiving and digital preservation.

I came here because it seemed like the biggest FFT community out there, and I thought people would appreciate sharing of any findings. If I wanted to rub it in your face, I wouldn't bother sharing anything beyond the fact that I have it. I thought that you guys, being the expert modders, would know the game inside and out, or at least where the best, and more importantly, most accurate resources are online so I could properly reference them.

I lose money because the disk does instantly become worth hundreds of dollars less the second it is uploaded online. This is a fact. And should I have some sort of emergency where I need to sell the disk on, or if I can use it as leverage to preserve something else that I find to be more important, I can't afford to throw away $800+ just to make some people on the Internet happy. This isn't something unique to me, museums make all sorts of deals in order to obtain things that they otherwise couldn't. While I, again, have never made a penny, I'm also not going to throw away money. Want to upload it online? Buy it, and go for it. The disk had been available off and on over 10 years, anyone could have bought it and uploaded it in that time period.

If I die tomorrow, there are things in writing that will prevent my collection from disappearing. Won't make people on the Internet happy, but it will be done correctly.

The reason I haven't responded back is simply because I only have so much time to play the game. Without a clear way of unlocking things, Im not going to waste time. So Im taking things one step at a time. This is one of many games that I'm in the process of documenting.

MAME is a flawed tool. It does many things amazingly well, but in turn it also has limited legal uses (meaning, by institutions, by the companies, etc) due to the licenses and how things were written in the beginning.

Angel

Without speaking too much on the nature, I have also spent my own money just to get things on the internet that weren't there before. It's a complete monetary loss, and I usually would find them elsewhere with someone else taking the credit, but I see it as the difference between taking a near-extinct animal and bringing them back to low concern in captivity vs the older practice of killing the last one to hang its head in your den as a trophy - the latter shouldn't even be considered preservation.

I hate to bring up monetary value, so I'll apologize in advance... it's been offered to us before, and always for a price we deemed too steep for what it was. That it's been in this state for so many years makes a good indicator. It's not a rare cart that is guaranteed to sell whenever it comes up on eBay. Its value was destined to go down as soon as it was purchased for that price point. Making an investment of it, saying it's important to you that you'd be able to sell it again, makes as much sense as that head above the fireplace.

That said, I'm by no means calling for you to release it. If you did, I'm probably the least likely among us to poke and prod at it. You paid for it, you should do with it what you like. I just still am unable to understand how your research and experience led you to these decisions and views.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Quote from: Borman on January 25, 2016, 11:55:24 am
The reason I haven't responded back is simply because I only have so much time to play the game. Without a clear way of unlocking things, Im not going to waste time. So Im taking things one step at a time. This is one of many games that I'm in the process of documenting.

Quote from: Elric on January 16, 2016, 02:44:14 pm
You can find their variables/flags on our wiki

You have the debug menu so I have to assume you know what flags are...

I have nothing else to say aside from not understanding how that is a viable emergency plan since it supposedly took over 10 years to sell in the first place and it's existence has been known since that first popped up, but whatever floats your boat.

I don't care if you upload it or not. I, like the others here, just have some real O_o with your reasoning as it doesn't quite make sense. This is coming from a person who has spent just as much money on things that I've shared, so the money bit holds no bearing to my questions nor my inability to understand your reasoning.

What game did you upload to the internet that has disappeared? Out of curiosity.