• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 02:09:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

iOS hack

Started by bmroger2, February 07, 2013, 08:18:21 pm

bmroger2

I tried the iOS hack with Lioneditor for FFT WotL on the latest 1.0.1 v for iPad 3 and 1.0.0 v as the new jailbreak came out :)
Anyway, the lioneditor files aren't loading into the game for whatever reason.

I played this game way way back in the day of PS1 and used gameshark after I beat it, which made it a lot of fun post-story. I would like the same experience with this version.

Thanks guys

aberosh1819

I was also just looking for this info, and it looks like someone went down this path back in May: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8788.20

The steps they (Samb) took were:
1) First you need a jail broken iPhone. This allows you to install the older version of the game (v.1.0.0) to your phone.
2) Then use iExplorer to copy the save file to your PC, change it name to lioneditor.bin and edit it with lion editor.  Change it's name back to FFTSAVE.bin and copy it back to your iPhone (using iExploer again)
3) open the game and minimize it.
4) delete the save file
5) maximize the game and save again.
6) update the game

The biggest issue I'm finding is that it requires v1.0.0 to kick it off.  I'm definitely missing that, but it looks like you have it available, so this might be a good starting point for you.

bmroger2

Yeah I tried that and ran into a couple problems.

So I have v1.0.0, I'll reply with the source when I find it again for you, but step 5 is where I had the problem. After I edit the bin file and place it back on my iPad, I can't open it to save again. So then I thought maybe the author meant that you have to have the original save open and running, minimize, delete that file, then place your edited file in the documents section of the app, maximize the game, save, then update, but it didn't work.
The order of his steps don't make any sense really. You can't edit the file and place it back on the system and then open the game up and load the file to make a save. Step 5 says to save again, but makes no mention of saving in the first place. Maybe I just don't understand the correct sequence lol.

aberosh1819

Awesome,  I'll take a stab at it on my end, maybe something is being lost in translation?

bmroger2

Yea, I'm probably just an idiot haha

aberosh1819

I'm having the same issue that you are.
- Starting with the v1.0 install, I'm generating a save file.
- Modifying the save with Lioneditor, and then replacing it.
- Game doesn't recognize the save.

Tried literally what he had as well:
- Start the 1.0 game
- Minimize it
- Delete the save, replace it with the modded 1.0 save
- Maximize it
- Fail.

You're far from being an idiot, I'm pretty sure we're either missing something, or the steps he documented were incomplete.

Agogotron

February 15, 2013, 01:55:13 am #7 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:46:55 am by Agogotron
Hey guys, I was able to get it working on my first attempt, and since I got the info from you, I thought I would thank you by posting how I did it, in case you still need help.

It looks like you have the 1.0 version so that's set.
If your edited file is not loading with the v 1.0 game:
Keep your edited file aside, then
1. Delete the game, and reinstall (Do not load your game after reinstalling)
  - This should make your "documents" folder be blank when you open it with iExplorer after reinstallation.
2. Copy your already edited save file into that folder just as per original instructions.

Keep your iPod/iPhone/iPad connected to iExplorer.
At this point you should, hopefully, be able to open your game and load your file:

1. Open the game, load your file, and then minimize (it actually doesn't matter if it's minimized but there is no harm in doing it).
2. Use iExplorer to delete the FFTSAVE file that you placed in there earlier.
3. Go to your game, maximize it, then save your file.
4. Go ahead and update your game to a newer version now.

Hopefully this helps. The instructions were pretty confusing.

izlud3

Hello everyone, just a little intro:

I've been fan of FFT since i was on high school and I been playing with two of my best friends since, so far we call ourselves the shrine knights. We got ourselves back then a gameshark and we played a lot modifying the game and make multiplayer matches on PSX, fun times.

Anyway, what have to do with hacking? Well since the release of WotL on IOS I have enjoyed this game once more. And of course, since I loved hacking thing I tried using the Lion Editor to poke around with my save files, and also got sad when I found I updated the app and the lion editor didnt work anymore.

BUT, that didnt stop me, and went so far to look around the hex values on the save file, and found out I could modify these values directly and see the changes on my iPhone (maxing gil, changing jobs, abilities, etc), even on version 1.1.2, and all that without jailbreak.

I did a lot of trial and error, I found Lion Editor make some unnecessary changes on the BIN file that gets corrupted and then you get the unreadable save file on IOS. The problem with direct hex editing is very tiring lookup for each value you want and make changes. Luckly I know programming, and I could make a little program for this editing, the thing is I dont know if its worth the time to make it, so I came here, to ask if you already know a program or think is a good idea?

Thanks for your reading, and sorry for the bad english, is not my native language.
Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

bmroger2

Still can't get it to load for some reason. Here are my steps:

Delete FFT WotL. Reinstall using iFunBox because I haven't figured out how to install apps on iExplorer. When it installs, go to Documents/ and drag and drop my edited file. Then I open the game and it doesn't recognize that there is a file. Interestingly however, if I repeat these steps with unedited games like my original save, it loads fine. So I did a test: I opened my original in Lion Editor and did nothing to it, saved it as FFTSAVE.BIN in a different location and tried to load that and it doesn't load. It seems that Lion Editor is doing something strange to the file rendering it unrecognizable.

Some of the changes I've made:
Made Ramza a Holy Swordsman, made Mustadio a Death Knight, added Alma to my party as a Princess class, and added Algus as a princess for punching bag exp/JP purposes lol. 

Agogotron

Dang sorry to hear that. I know there is a problem with lioneditor corrupting files, making them unreadable by iOS devices.

I doubt this would make any difference, but I use iTools to install mine, http://itools.hk/cms/webpage32.htm

I also never made any drastic changes, I just gave em JP and funds, got some items, messed with stats...
Although, now that I think about it, one time I did accidentally mess with the character slots (The bar on the left side showing the names and which slot all the characters are in) and that made my file unreadable, or caused the game to crash every time. So maybe there is something to adding Alma and Algus that is messing it up...
Not sure what else you could do man, sorry.

Btw I lmao at the "Algus as a princess for punching bag" thing.

izlud3

Hello, a little update, so I was saying im working on a temporary custom Lion Editor for IOS (Im calling LIOS Editor heh). And finally got it working, of course, theres a lot of debugging i need to do. So far Im able to read the BIN file and modify any character values and get no error on my iPhone when updating again (all this with FFT version 1.1.2 for iPhone and no jailbreak!).

I hope it helps!

Agogotron

Izlud3 that looks and sounds awesome. I would be interested to know if you get any further on this project, please keep me/us updated. As far as I am aware you would be the first one to do this.

Argy

Wow, this is very impressive work Izlud3. Keep it up!! Keep us posted on your developments in this area.
  • Modding version: PSX
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

bmroger2

Izlud3, I would totally buy you a beer if you get that to work :) my programming knowledge is like Bash only lol. Impressive stuff, keep us up to date on it and hopefully the moderators will post it in the programs portion of the forum!

StrategicMishap

I kept checking back here to see if there was any news on updating the lion editor and I'm glad to see someone finally doing it! Thanks Izlud3!! I was going to make an attempt on messing with it myself but work seems to be too time consuming lately -_-"
Good luck Izlud3, I hope you get it working without too much trouble!

izlud3

Hello again everyone!

First of all, thank you for your support, that really encourage me to finish the editor.
Now for the updates...  :mrgreen:
You wont believe me, but it is almost done, probably I'm going to release a beta version today for everyone who want to try it out and help me debug it.

With the release of the first beta you can:
* Read BIN files directly (you don't have to rename your save file, also is worth saying: don't use this program for PSP files, its for IOS only!).
* Make modification to characters (Stats, Abilities, Equipment, Gender, Zodiac, Job JPs) same as Lion Editor.
* Select from multiple game files (the 15 avalible ones).

Things I probably wont do with future updates: Chronicle and Options modifications.
Things to do:
*Bugfixes
*Inventory and War Funds modifications

Sadly I just have the version 1.1.2 (iPhone) for testing, so I'm not sure if it will work with the iPad version or older versions (But I don't it will be a problem). Also, remember to always, ALWAYS have a backup of your original file.

Finally, I want to ask: Where is more wisely to upload my project? (Do I use a hosting site like MediaFire? or Do I attach it to the forums, etc?). Thanks!  ;)

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with another sneak peak:

StrategicMishap

I'm not terribly sure where it should be posted, but I'd love to help debug it.
Any ideas on what kind of bugs we should be on the look out for?

Agogotron

izlud3 that looks amazing, I can't wait to try it out. I now have a deep respect for the Shrine Knights  :cool:

izlud3

As promised, I just released the program (on a different topic on this forum), so you can try it out, and tell me what you find out, and if you get your modifications. You can help me by posting there, if you get a successful result, and on which version and device you are trying out.

Quote from: StrategicMishap on February 20, 2013, 03:46:32 pm
I'm not terribly sure where it should be posted, but I'd love to help debug it.
Any ideas on what kind of bugs we should be on the look out for?

Well for bugs try to make changes to your characters and try out everything in the program, and if you don't get the desired result (or the program crashes) you can post it on the topic i just made for the program. It would be very helpful if you can pin where you did get an error, that would make me find the problem more quickly.