• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT's on iOS

Started by Dominic NY18, May 18, 2011, 08:53:42 pm

RedWorld

I can answer #3. It's not the iPad version. xD That version will be out near the fall or hopefully next month.

But good news for me! My friend is sending me an iPod Touch so maybe there is some hope yet for this amazingly awesome FFT fan! ;3;

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Mando

Don't get it for the touch. It won't run well.

iPhone4 Gameplay:

Touch gameplay...

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Joseph Strife

Quote from: RedWorld on August 04, 2011, 02:06:52 pm
But good news for me! My friend is sending me an iPod Touch so maybe there is some hope yet for this amazingly awesome FFT fan! ;3;

Man! I envy you... :|
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Amici

I'm gonna force my girlfriend to buy this (she's the one with a Touch 4G). Been meaning to scratch my FFT itch for a long while, and this looks awesome! Hopefully we can also find a way to hack in our sprites and patches to this version (in time, of course, and given how lazy Squeenix developers are, I bet they didn't much around with the code too much).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RedWorld

Quote from: Joseph Strife on August 04, 2011, 03:15:56 pm
Man! I envy you... :|

I'm sorry I have such a good friend! ;A; He just has 35943341 iPods and he just let me have one! <3

Anyway, I will admit that the gameplay for the Touch is quite laggy, but at least the sound sync with the moves! x.x

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Joseph Strife

Quote from: RedWorld on August 04, 2011, 04:02:16 pm
I'm sorry I have such a good friend! ;A; He just has 35943341 iPods and he just let me have one! <3

I must know that friend of yours!  :lol:

Anyways, let's see square comes up next, hoping for the futures updates on this.
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

RedWorld

Quote from: Joseph Strife on August 04, 2011, 04:06:10 pm
I must know that friend of yours!  :lol:

Anyways, let's see square comes up next, hoping for the futures updates on this.

Haha! Well, he's from the FFT Realm if you've ever been there~

And yes! But I can't wait for the HD portraits~! <333

Cheetah

I thought they said they were going to be supporting the retina display, which I took to mean that the HD Portraits would be on the iPhone 4 version as well.
Current Projects:

Dome

Is there any way to import the high-res portraits into the PSX version?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Xifanie

no, the resolution is 256x240... doubling the size they would end up taking 64x96, which would be huge on the screen
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Dome

Quote from: Xifanie on August 04, 2011, 06:54:33 pm
no, the resolution is 256x240... doubling the size they would end up taking 64x96, which would be huge on the screen

We cannot import the high-res portraits, the game still lags...
This new release fails

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Dominic NY18

August 04, 2011, 08:00:58 pm #31 Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:12:03 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: Cheetah on August 04, 2011, 06:19:35 pm
I thought they said they were going to be supporting the retina display, which I took to mean that the HD Portraits would be on the iPhone 4 version as well.

That's what I was thinking as well. Honestly, the game doesn't look like it supports the Retina Display at all. The entire game looks a bit blurry, which would be explained if it wasn't running at native res on an iPhone 4.

Considering:
- The inconsistent performance. From stuttering/lagging everywhere, even on the various menu screens to running almost too fast during event cutscenes.

- The fact that they seemed to have lied about Retina Display support, since none of the graphics look sharper or improved

- The fact that it was delayed for almost a year and still somehow has performance issues that weren't there in the PSX or even the PSP version of the game

I can't recommend this to anyone at the moment. Hopefully, they'll address it in a future update, but until then, I'll stick with my "gotten through other means" version. Until then, I refuse to pay for another version of FFT that can't perform well.

Cheetah

When did you hi res your avatar Dominic?

I felt the need to support this release, but yes it is certainly disappointing at this point. Where can we give feedback for improvements?
Current Projects:

Mando

That is because the one that is suppose to have the hi-res portraits and what not is being specially made for the iPad... they didn't say it was going to be for the iPhone. Which is why I'm not wasting $15 when I can:

A) just play it on epsxe...
B) play it on the psp
C) hell play it on my wii (which emulates it ok)

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Dominic NY18

August 04, 2011, 10:33:53 pm #34 Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:37:57 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: Cheetah on August 04, 2011, 08:30:22 pm
When did you hi res your avatar Dominic?

I felt the need to support this release, but yes it is certainly disappointing at this point. Where can we give feedback for improvements?

Technically, I didn't :). I ran it through one of the filters in Paint.NET (I think) some time last year. One of these days, I'll sit down and actually hi-res it. Though I'll admit I'm not sure how to go about doing it besides making the original portrait less pixelated...

Anyway, I really want to buy it, but knowing me, I'll just get frustrated with it, especially since it costs $16. As for feedback, you can leave a review for it on the App Store under the Reviews section for the game.

Argy

I was umming and erring whether to buy the game (currently have it on my PSP) but I think I might wait until they do an update. It's a shame that they have had so long to sort out the game and yet it's still sub standard. I am also surprised the game has sold millions and yet there has never been a sequel for it. Whats all of-that about?
  • Modding version: PSX
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

Cheetah

I think Square Enix fews the FFT Advanced games as sequels.

It is great to support the release of all things FFT, but I have to say there are lots and lots of kinks to be worked out yet. It is totally playable, it just isn't what it should be.
Current Projects:

thechancellor

Quote from: Dominic NY18 on August 04, 2011, 10:33:53 pm
Technically, I didn't :). I ran it through one of the filters in Paint.NET (I think) some time last year. One of these days, I'll sit down and actually hi-res it. Though I'll admit I'm not sure how to go about doing it besides making the original portrait less pixelated...

Anyway, I really want to buy it, but knowing me, I'll just get frustrated with it, especially since it costs $16. As for feedback, you can leave a review for it on the App Store under the Reviews section for the game.

So sorry for being off topic, but what was the filter called?
Don't really have anything witty or interesting to put here...

Bowser Koopa

Thanks so much for all your feedback on the iOS version of FFT. I've been on the fence about getting it and after hearing your gripes on here, they just confirm my suspicions related to choppy framerate and poor interface.

I really don't understand how Square-Enix screwed this up as far as the interface is concerned. I'm guessing they didn't feel like throwing a lot of money at the port to do things like make the text larger, make larger UI selections (in an attempt to eliminate the UI bar at the bottom of the screen), etc. I almost feel like they slapped fans in the face by saying, "We appreciate and understand the fact that Final Fantasy fans love the Final Fantasy Tactics franchise. And, yet, while we feel it's not necessary to make a new UI that caters to mobile touch screens, we still feel the game deserves to have one of the highest prices for a game on the iTunes store. But we know you fanboys will pay that price regardless, so dig in!"

At first, I didn't have a problem shelling out $16 for an awesome, classic game such as FFT. But given the amount of bugs, slowdown, etc. I keep hearing about, I'm just appalled that Square-Enix have big enough cajones to charge this much for the game.

I'm going to hold out for the iPad version. This game seems much better suited for a larger screen, especially if S-E refuses to make a special mobile UI for this game.

Oh, and for the record... Some of you may remember my thread on ripping FFT sound effects, so you know how much I pay attention to the game sounds. I'm also pretty shocked at the fact that some sound effects sound weird, different, cut off, etc. from the original FFT. New players to the game won't know or care about it, but for an old-time FFT player, this is inexcusable.

I realize that getting FFT to a mobile platform is a HUGE undertaking (for God's sake, the game is 456mb!). But, I firmly believe that if you're to re-release a game that will be so highly publicized and scrutinized, you'd better make sure it's up to the fan's standards and plays just as well as the original.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post. Just had to share my two cents. Thanks again for saving me $16 (for now). Here's to hoping the iPad version will be better.

Alma Beoulve

I don't understand why FFH would speculate over the slowdown when as much as the community does with digging around the mechanics of FFT:WotL and FFT:PSX's ISOs, they do not see how it is intentionally programmed in the game.

Mando was texting me the other day saying "herp derp itz nut coded" but I would assume a place with this much experience with computers and the game itself could provide a detailed, fan-friendly explanation to the community the reasoning behind it.

:/

I don't know much about computers myself, but I did inquire on this very topic some time ago. Apparently it is "hard-coded" and I am not sure what that means, but the only time I have heard that term is when they discuss the AI.