• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:53:05 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Yasumi Matsuno returns to claim his throne!

Started by LastingDawn, July 22, 2010, 10:21:12 am

Phlashblazer

Lol, I am an idiot... it is coming out for PSP.  That's it I am SOLD, lol! Well I was planning on getting a PSP sometime soon. =P
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

trismegistus

All hail Lord Yazz! I bought a PSP for Persona 3 Portable a while ago and I've been in desperate need for some more games for it, so this comes as a very positive announcement. I'm also pleased that Squeenix seems to be getting the original Tactics Ogre team back together to work on it. It looks like they just recently announced the release date for the Japanese version, so I'll have to watch like a hawk till they announce a NA date.

SilvasRuin

Damn, I would prefer if it was The Knight of Lodis.  Oh well.  As long as it doesn't have the horrendous balance issues I've read about the original, I'm sure I'll love it.  ...I might find it awesome either way, really...

Kagebunji

It just really pissed me off when character died in battle without means to bring him back, bullshit I say!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

beawulfx

Quote from: "Kagebunji"It just really pissed me off when character died in battle without means to bring him back, bullshit I say!

I'm more than used to that with Fire Emblem... couple it with an OCD like inability to let anyone die without instantly restarting, and you get some headaches! But I kinda like it, maybe I'm a bit sadistic.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

LastingDawn

PSP Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has more text than FFXII had!

We can now be sure this is no cut and paste job! With Matsuno at the helm immersion into the expanded story is first and foremost on his mind. It is clear that by this amount of dedication to his pet project he is glad to be back among those that can appreciate his true talent!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

Oddly this just makes me sad that FFXII wasn't truly a complete project :(. Though I am really looking forward to this.
Current Projects:

Jon

These graphics look similar to TO Knight of Lodis on GBA. Hmm, this does look interesting, but I agree fully with what Lijj said, why are the black outlines so strong? They seem to do this on all the recent tactics games like FFTA, TO KoL, ect. Its not bad, but FFT graphics are better. As for the story, hey wtf? It starts with the end of TO KoL! Sorry for spoilers if anyone wanted to play that, but Alphonse Loeher is the guy on the devil horse. He is on an island and burns down a town in the middle of the winter because he is going against the Lodis Empire/or is working with them. TO has been a fave of mine, if you want to play this game, quickly go get a emulator of GBA and play TO Knight of Lodis for the back story. You need to beat the game under 25 hours (or something, either way its easy) with 50 kills by Alphonse and no more than 5 unit permanent deaths. Then you will see the ending which is undeniably the beginning of this game. Notice how Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis has very simalar graphics. Here is proof:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Archael

LastingDawn

Heh, well this is how it originally looked. It's very clear where Matsuno got the influence for the FFTA style. Though an odd note. The maps in Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together are gigantic! Especially compared to FFT and FFTA map, and they also allow up to 20 unique units rather than FFT's 9. Though if I had to guess that's likely because of how much sprite room each sprite takes up in RAM for FFT. Also playing Tactics Ogre you can see where A Lot of influence for FFT came from, the Warren's Report section in that game is nearly Identical to the Brave Story in FFT.

Art of War

Mari

I disliked the old one, so I'm not expecting much out of this one either. But I'm going to end up trying it anyways, since I like tactics games.
So far most tactics games I've played I dislike, but I like the genre! It sucks. I need to make my own. =P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

SilvasRuin

Eh, most of the time what ruins tactical RPGs are silly little balance oversights and a failure to keep the difficulty curve from flat-lining long before the max level.  You would think that eventually one of them would produce a tactical RPG that is able to stand on its own without fan tweaks to fix the balance...

Making sure Alphonse was at the front in every fight helped difficulty in Knight of Lodis (enemies scaled solely to his level).
Wild ARMs XF managed to keep some difficulty in the game up until the final chapter.  Then it was like a balloon had popped...  They ceased providing strategic puzzles and instead just threw randomized enemies at you with a bit higher stats than the average enemies up to that point.  I suppose using sub-par equipment would help, but really, you shouldn't have to purposely play poorly to get a challenge...
The first two Disgaea games should have had less grinding in the post-games.  (Never did play the third.  No PS3.)
The Fire Emblem games offer a challenge but can get TOO cruel (they could have just made them unusable in the next fight instead of permanently dead...), and the lack of freedom in characters makes me want to put this series and games like it into their own separate sub-genre.  I much prefer the customizable job system ones.

Kaijyuu

Disgaea (and nippon ichi tactics games in general) could really stand to benefit from a line-of-sight system. Being able to shoot someone despite 4 units and a wall between you and the target makes things kinda ridiculous, not to mention devalues strategic positioning.

And the post games always suck. Makai Kingdom's post game was the best of them that I've played, as the random dungeons were fun, rewarding, and challenging. Desperate need of a quick save though, since if you leave a random dungeon before finishing it it's gone and you lose out on a lot of potential weapons and levels, and those dungeons could take 4 hours or more....
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

Then try that weird GBA game Rebelstar Tactics. It always has the same difficulty throughout the game and leveling up doesn't help you at all. A level one character has a relatively good chance (when in range) of killing a level 20 for example. Now if only this game was Final Fantasy...

Edit: Some flaws with this GBA game are:
1 Its a GBA game. Which isn't bad, but this game actually has load times and is very short in comparison to FFTA.
2 No jobs. Characters just improve on your own customization upon level up. You can choose that they improve rifles or heavy weapons for example.
3 All the characters look exactly the same. WTF?! Even female units! This was really plain and simple laziness. At least shoulda gave the hero characters (only 8 I believe) their own sprites.
4 Story is ridiculous. I mean c'mon, this is a stereotype alien game.

Why you would want to play it?
1 After first 2-3 intro chapters, the game really picks up.
2 There are tactics involved! No way you can play this game SCC style, you'll end up dead!
3 Did I mention there are actually tactics? Unlike FFTA or Knight of Lodis, you can't just surround an enemy and chop him to death in 1 turn, you actually have to think how to kill all the enemies by finding nice firing positions, using grenades and explosives on "tough" enemies, covering each others backs, ect.
4 I wouldn't write all this crap if I didn't find the game fun and challenging. Take my word for it, just play this game and you will probably be inspired to make a patch or something like this for FFT. I found the whole battle system very nice, and the whole idea of how you hide behind stuff and pop out to take a few snap shots at the enemy and then hide again reminded me somehow of Metal Gear Solid. Also the fact that you can run out of ammo and then you must rely on close combat (which is really only used if desperate or if you want to use stealth tactics) makes the game very fun. You also get sniper rifles! Yay!
5 If someone dies (sometimes there are exceptions) including the hero, they remain dead for the chapter but are revived afterwards for the next chapter, but they lose all of their equipment, so don't make a habit out of dying, or you won't have enough guns/ammo for the next chapter. If no one dies for a couple of chapters though, you will have so many weapons and ammo that you won't know what to do with it all. I mean, I didn't die and I had like a stockpile of 40 grenades, which could get me through a few chapters easily.
6 There is friendly fire, overview and explosions (grenades, rocket launchers, fire) caused by the player hurt the player. No charging up to an enemy just to make sure you won't miss him at point blank range with the rocket launcher!

Zypher

Doing a lolhaxx playthrough of WotL 1.3

Jon

It only looks better in the opening and the spell effects, other than that it looks EXACTLY the same as the GBA game. Sorry, but this is not that impressive. And then they throw at you "What decisions will they make? What destiny will they unfold?" Well thats in all the TO games, multiple story paths and endings. I don't want to make it sound like I dislike TO, but this just looks too similar to KoL.

Zypher

It was mentioned around the time it was announced, that they wanted to update the graphics but at the same time try and make it indiscernible from the SNES sprites people have come to know. Granted that is an odd route for them to take (like really odd, almost to the point of pointlessness). Also the magnificent part of my post was for the Ogre battle theme itself (nice update since the previous ones I had to resort to listening to, were from Lordly Caliber and KoL). I am somewhat intrigued that they are implementing a job leveling mechanic instead of leveling characters. Im not sure what I think of their Mulligan-like system though since it seems like an expansion of the save and loading mid battle in the original but being able to selectively choose which turn to start from seems a bit game breaking
Doing a lolhaxx playthrough of WotL 1.3

itoikenza

i played the snes ver. a little and i don't like how one can only have 4 moves under ability! even cheating you can't add more, and lvl'n up erases the current movelist in battle! Sucks!

http://www.clip-studio.com/quma/en/
Some hits you, So miss you, the center too, enter you, hits undone, have some fun, I know! misses come, render none, enter some... Always won!!... incomplete I know...

LastingDawn

Quote from: "Jon"It only looks better in the opening and the spell effects, other than that it looks EXACTLY the same as the GBA game. Sorry, but this is not that impressive. And then they throw at you "What decisions will they make? What destiny will they unfold?" Well thats in all the TO games, multiple story paths and endings. I don't want to make it sound like I dislike TO, but this just looks too similar to KoL.

Graphics yes, that's the point. Matsuno Asked that they keep it in its original style. Though what has he added that's new? Well apparently he's balanced the system, added the Wheel of Fate concept, allowed you to "go back in time" so you can take other paths, and apparently has added more text than even FFXII had! 20,000 characters jumped to 70,000 characters. Matsuno wants to expand heavily on his created world.

Art of War

Jon

I see, that does sound much better. Go back in time? How would that work, do you lose levels or something? Interesting for a TO game...