• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 12:24:17 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Incorporating Class Levels 1-8 into Power of Character Abilities

Started by Neophyte Ronin, June 03, 2012, 10:03:19 am

Neophyte Ronin

While contemplating the possibility of conjuring up a mod, I have always considered bringing characters to Level 99 from the start, so everyone is on the same page, and rearranging everything about the game's standard arsenal to reflect this change (so even simple daggers have ups and downs when against other weapons).  The trick then would be the Class Levels; having eliminated standard Level progression ala Dome's FFT+, Class Levels would serve to determine a character's worth, mostly in determining what abilities are available.  Prices and qualities would also fluctuate, and getting to Level 8 for whatever reason would be the game's only true source of grinding, outside of cash accrual.  But there needs to be something functional behind acquiring Level 8, and I wish to involve the Class's own abilities into this fold.

Essentially, is it possible to make it so that Class Levels themselves determine not just the miniscule amount of JP acquired, but also affect the power or effectiveness of Action Abilities from that Class?

For example, the Knight's Breakage techniques operate on a fixed formula that adds Power to the equation.  Can we make a formula that starts at 34 and then adds 6 per level (from 40 to 82) percent?  Essentially, Job/Class Level becomes a variable that improves the character's ability effectiveness.  The same principle could also be applied when computing Character Evasion; the Knight starts with 4 but ends with 25 (3 per level).  By extension, is it even possible to add character magical evasion, regardless if the above notion is impossible?

In any case, I'm betting we're talking about something hard-coded and requiring more than just traditional patchwork.  I'm aware of that, at least.  I'm open to interpretation and feedback, including an honest "no" if need be.

Glain

It's definitely possible to ASM hack formulas to use the job level of the unit using the ability. If you're going for a wholesale change of the formulas to be this way, it's likely a lot of work, though (there are a lot of formulas). Just doing a few formulas would probably be fairly simple.

Trying to create a magical C-EV would probably be a pain in the neck, since that doesn't seem to be loaded into the in-game battle data. Adding to W-EV or A-EV would be easier, but if you really want the magical C-EV, it's probably doable, as I believe there are a few unused bytes in the in-game unit battle data, and you could use one of them for magical C-EV; of course, this is getting into some pretty involved ASM hacking.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenOfRazgriz

The main reason you wouldn't want to do this is that you can't scale the AI to this kind of system correctly.  If you've used FFTP and tried making ENTDs you'll quickly realize why.  It's a nice idea but entails rewriting a lot of stuff on how AI Job Levels would be determined if you wanted any sense of game balance at all.