• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Changing Portraits in a .SPR

Started by KazeKasano, August 06, 2008, 06:35:35 pm

KazeKasano

August 06, 2008, 06:35:35 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
What is the correct way to do this?
The problem I run into is that I'm trying to make use of the Japanese site's Firion, and I don't like the portrait they put with him. So, I was wondering if there's an easy way to apply my portrait to it?

I'll attach my .SPR and the Portrait, for anyone who wants to give it a try.
But, a tutorial on this would help much more.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

CidIII

August 06, 2008, 07:12:35 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Export .SPR as Bitmap

Open portrait

Open Sprite bitmap

Rotate portrait 90 degrees to the right

Copy rotated portrait

Paste over the existing bad portrait.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Zozma

August 06, 2008, 07:45:12 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
not that simple, you have to convert the new portrait's color palette into the exact same palette as the sprite and then add the color palette of the portrait into the sprite.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

SentinalBlade

August 06, 2008, 08:05:58 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
The problem:

your color limit.

Your very first color is a grey, it should be a black. this should never change
so move all the colors starting fomr the left, over one spot.

Here is how it works. The pallete is in lines of 17. The ACTUAL colors dont start until there is a color besides 0 0 0 (pure black) when you put that grey there, you made it load fomr that spot, and it loaded all 17 colors. including the very last color, which is your black.

Ima aware firion had some problems, i think the origonal portrait had this issue and i never fixed it. i apologize for that.(it was the japanese guy who made these that did it)

KazeKasano

August 06, 2008, 08:12:57 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Yeah. The original portrait looked... horrible.
Snespal is the easiest palette editor, right?
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.

SentinalBlade

August 06, 2008, 08:14:59 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I use photoshop, cause it edits color pallets like extremely quick...3 clicks and i have a new color :P... ive never used snespal

If worst comes to worst i can do it for you... i see no harm in it seeing as how neither of us really get snespal >.>

KazeKasano

August 06, 2008, 08:22:31 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
That would be great! I have no idea how to work the palette editor in photoshop effectively yet. I can use it for a ton of other stuff, like DVD covers and desktops, but I just haven't figured out spriting yet. Paint is just more comfortable for me in that respect, though it is less advanced.

Zozma

August 06, 2008, 08:23:35 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
its easy to use, but you have to do one color at a time....
i can try to explain, but as you say photoshop is easier and faster. im just oldschool, im just used to it because "back in the day" there wasnt a way to get the sprite out in bmp form and then be able to put it back in the spr file lol....

KazeKasano

August 06, 2008, 08:25:41 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Snespal sounds useful, though. Does it work for Yoshi's Island?

Zozma

August 06, 2008, 09:02:31 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
if that is an snes game yes it works, you just have to find his color palette, meaning alot more to search thru. the reason it works for this game is because the sprites are like most snes games and uses 16 colors

KazeKasano

August 06, 2008, 10:54:43 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Ah. Ok. That actually makes alot of sense.