• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

A question for more experienced ASM hackers than I...

Started by Vanya, April 01, 2009, 01:53:18 pm

Vanya

April 01, 2009, 01:53:18 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
How difficult do you guys think it would be to make a different job act like Squire as far as specials are concerned?

For example: Instead of a special job replacing Squire it would replace Dragon Knight.

Alternatively, how about if I wanted an additional job to be swapped out for special units?

For example: Generic units get Squire & Dragoon, but if unit has special job 1E (Holy Knight) then Dragoon is also changed into special job 1F (Temple Knight). Ideally, I'd want to make the job that replaces Dragoon dependent on which special job the unit starts with. Perhaps it could work by making a table to look up values on.

Thanks for any input on this! ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

April 01, 2009, 02:53:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
QuoteFor example: Instead of a special job replacing Squire it would replace Dragon Knight.
Depends on how you want to do it...
You could switch Squire <> Lancer sprites, stats and stuff... that'd be a way.
I don't really have a good idea of when it would check for that.
Wouldn't it be better to just activate the special job on the job wheel?
That would be easier than switching it to another job.

QuoteAlternatively, how about if I wanted an additional job to be swapped out for special units?
Shouldn't be too hard if you take my suggestion for the first one. You'll see where to add your code for the check rather easily...
There's just one thing, I'm not 100% sure WORLD.BIN is loaded between a set of battles. You really need that space to add your code because we haven't found any free space in the SCUS.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Vanya

April 01, 2009, 05:58:08 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The thing is, for the first one, I want to make the special jobs have a prerequisite instead of appearing from the get go.

Your second suggestions sounds like the way to go. Thanks! ^_^

Anyone else have any ideas they'd like to throw out there?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

April 01, 2009, 06:04:07 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Well I can confirm that WORLD.BIN is always loaded with the formation screen.

You know, you could also make a table of prerequisites for each special unit based on the "Sprite Set"
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Vanya

April 01, 2009, 06:17:36 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Cool. ^_^

That's a good idea. Thanks again! ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯