• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:06 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Zero knowledge

Started by LegaultCriez, February 11, 2021, 12:05:02 pm

LegaultCriez

Well as the title stated, im basically 100% lost, and im not entirely sure if this is where i should post/ask for help either, basically i still remember like 10 or so years ago playing this and im pretty sure after not owning a ps1 console anymore i just found a pre-existing iso and i can get it and just play insantly, but now planning to play this again every single time, its a bin and cue file and i've look around for a way and i did use magiciso or poweriso and it still doesnt fix, and im not patching any mod, cause i wanna see if the vanilla file works in the first place. but apparently not. either the iso is broken or im doing something wrong, im really too old for this but for the sake of nostalgia i really want to play again, anyone willing to help?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Orkney

Hi,

Not sure to understand your problem.

I've two emulators : ePSXe and pSX (this one as a download link in the grey part juste under the "final fantasy tactics" banner.

It's seems both of them can load ISO, BIN or CUE.

• Modding version: PSX

3lric

Quote from: LegaultCriez on February 11, 2021, 12:05:02 pmWell as the title stated, im basically 100% lost, and im not entirely sure if this is where i should post/ask for help either, basically i still remember like 10 or so years ago playing this and im pretty sure after not owning a ps1 console anymore i just found a pre-existing iso and i can get it and just play insantly, but now planning to play this again every single time, its a bin and cue file and i've look around for a way and i did use magiciso or poweriso and it still doesnt fix, and im not patching any mod, cause i wanna see if the vanilla file works in the first place. but apparently not. either the iso is broken or im doing something wrong, im really too old for this but for the sake of nostalgia i really want to play again, anyone willing to help?

Too old? I think you are trying to date yourself there without knowing the average age of us who actually mod this game, we arent teenagers, hell most of us are well into our 30s or older...

I have no idea why you are using poweriso or anything like that. The .bin is a perfectly useable format for a emulator, and as far as FFT goes, its either .bin or .img, ive never seen a working FFT iso file...

You just need to download a emulator and config it. Then run the rom.

If your file has .ecm at the end. Then you need to uncompress it with unecm first

LegaultCriez

I'm not implying that any of you are younger than me or a teen or under 30 either by any means, just that im personally not that tech savvy and its kinda slow for me to get up to speed for this thing nowadays.

And i probably should be more specific, i used epsxe, and i already look around for the proper bios and everything is setup properly, at least from what and where i look around for answer.

so what happened is, when i try to run final fantasy, the emulator load up or im guessing that what its trying to do, black screen, and then it crashes, no idea why. I thought its cause it cant run bin/cue file and i need to burn it into iso format first but still same thing happens.

it could be that im using the wrong bios and stuff but i follow things i found specifically so im pretty lost.

thanks for the respond btw! Didn't expect any so quick compare to past experience lol.

Edit: pretty sure i recall of having an "iso" back in the days, but been too long my memory might be messin with me for all i know, and it come with both "bin" and "ecm" but trying both result in same thing, load up black, then crashes.

LegaultCriez

WELP, ive figure it out, it seems to be an overclocking issue, ive mess around with the plugin and everything to no avail and then i tick one of the overclocking option and that seems to fix it, dunno why i didnt think to try that first, i really thought its something to do with the bios or the bin/iso being corrupted or something.

Again my sincere apologies for this, its all good now and ive start messing with the modding tool a bit and i have 1 more question. I tried changing ramza sprite with one of the sprite provide in this website, its the mercenary ramza custom sprite, with the cape. During the staring cutscene where he kneel down to the princess, his head/face kinda got bugged out? Anyone know why? He's like possessed by the devil or something lol

Jumza

When characters do "special poses" in scenes, it uses something called EVTCHR. You can edit that in Shishi now as well (though it is tedious). What you are seeing is Ramza's old special pose frames with palette data taken from the new sprite, which is why it looks so weird
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

LegaultCriez

Ah, I see, i mingled around the Shishi some more and i did find the EVTCHR.bin in there, how do i go about on doing this part exactly? It doesnt seem like something someone with no experience can take easily. And some of the sprite, or a lot actually from the EVTCHR look a bit, how to say, distorted in colour and the like? Mind explaining why thats the case?

Also u said tedious, not exactly hard, can i just take some sprite from the new sprite bmp and rearrange them into what the EVTCHR.bin is like and save them as bin file? but i dont think its that easy.

Jumza

Tedious because there are SO many special frames for Ramza.

To edit the EVTCHR stuff properly you need to have a program that can edit the palette of a bmp image, like Graphics Gale or GIMP. Wherever Ramza's palette is (it'll be one of the rows, where each row is 16 colours) you need to replace those with the first row of 16 colours from the Ramza sprite you have here. Whatever the first row of colours from the EVTCHR sheet is then needs to be put as the first row of colours in that Ramza sheet (skip this step if Ramza's colours were the first row). Then you can put frames from the Ramza sheet into the EVTCHR sheet. Then this process must be repeated for separate sections.

If this is for a personal hack that only you and maybe a few other people will see I would say it may be best to live with it? But if you enjoy seeing polished things then go for it! Good luck!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Quote from: LegaultCriez on February 12, 2021, 10:53:30 pmAh, I see, i mingled around the Shishi some more and i did find the EVTCHR.bin in there, how do i go about on doing this part exactly? It doesnt seem like something someone with no experience can take easily. And some of the sprite, or a lot actually from the EVTCHR look a bit, how to say, distorted in colour and the like? Mind explaining why thats the case?

Also u said tedious, not exactly hard, can i just take some sprite from the new sprite bmp and rearrange them into what the EVTCHR.bin is like and save them as bin file? but i dont think its that easy.

Yes it is that easy, if you do it in graphics gale and keep the palettes right. And they look off in shishi because you are only looking at 1 palette at a time.

https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Event_Instruction_58

You can just replace Ramza's kneeling EVTCHR in that scene with

unitanim 22
wait 00008
unitanim 24

then reverse when he is getting back up

LegaultCriez

Quote from: Jumza on February 12, 2021, 11:56:23 pmIf this is for a personal hack that only you and maybe a few other people will see I would say it may be best to live with it? But if you enjoy seeing polished things then go for it! Good luck!

it is for personal use but hey, i wanna learn and experiment! Im taking this as a side hobby and maybe expand when i know more.

Quote from: Elric on February 13, 2021, 02:04:13 amYes it is that easy, if you do it in graphics gale and keep the palettes right. And they look off in shishi because you are only looking at 1 palette at a time.

https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Event_Instruction_58

You can just replace Ramza's kneeling EVTCHR in that scene with

unitanim 22
wait 00008
unitanim 24

then reverse when he is getting back up

Thanks! That's a start, also, i want to make a unique class/job for ramza too, and im guessing his is one of those job with "guts" on them but theres like.. 4 of it if im not mistaken? which one is his? cause im almost certain the other 2 is for delita and that other bratty blonde dude that gonna die in later chapter. or all those guts is his just for different chapter?

another thing, if i want him to only get this custom job on the 3rd chapter, is that possible? or is this one guts job for him throughout the whole game? Planning to make a "false heretic" job for him when he got to the 3rd chapter where he don the blue armor, which im not a fan of, reason im testing the cape to put it on his 3rd chapter later or was it 4th? and also the custom job on the 4th too. still thinking of what skill he gonna have but yeah more less that.

You guys have been really helpful btw, thanks again!

3lric

Quote from: LegaultCriez on February 13, 2021, 04:48:26 amit is for personal use but hey, i wanna learn and experiment! Im taking this as a side hobby and maybe expand when i know more.

Thanks! That's a start, also, i want to make a unique class/job for ramza too, and im guessing his is one of those job with "guts" on them but theres like.. 4 of it if im not mistaken? which one is his? cause im almost certain the other 2 is for delita and that other bratty blonde dude that gonna die in later chapter. or all those guts is his just for different chapter?

another thing, if i want him to only get this custom job on the 3rd chapter, is that possible? or is this one guts job for him throughout the whole game? Planning to make a "false heretic" job for him when he got to the 3rd chapter where he don the blue armor, which im not a fan of, reason im testing the cape to put it on his 3rd chapter later or was it 4th? and also the custom job on the 4th too. still thinking of what skill he gonna have but yeah more less that.

You guys have been really helpful btw, thanks again!

Who else in the game can you think of that might use the Guts command, with the same name?
Ramza also changes jobs right? Chapter 1, 2, and 4, he switches between 3 of them.

To change him for Ch3 would take some extra coding somewhere since by default that isnt a thing unless you use the chapter 4 change there instead, which you can set via event

LegaultCriez

Quote from: Elric on February 13, 2021, 05:01:19 amWho else in the game can you think of that might use the Guts command, with the same name?
Ramza also changes jobs right? Chapter 1, 2, and 4, he switches between 3 of them.

To change him for Ch3 would take some extra coding somewhere since by default that isnt a thing unless you use the chapter 4 change there instead, which you can set via event

Wasnt delita skill name also guts? and the other blonde kid i mention, really forgot that kid name. And i thought its as easy as mingling with the FFTpatcher?

My first initial thought is just adjust some things using the FFTPatcher, go to the jobs section and change one of the 01,02,03 or the 04 since from what I understand thats all his right?

And then to make and change the skillset into my own custom skill set, just go to the skillset tab and add a new one, go back to the job and change the skillset to the one i just made? I guess its not that simple?

Jumza

Skillsets 19, 1A, and 1B are all Ramza.
19 Guts is chapter 1, 1A Guts is chapter 2 / 3, 1B is chapter 4.
The fourth Guts skillset is Chapter 1 Delita. I believe Algus (mr. blonde guy) has a different skillset name, but you can check around the FFTPatcher (like check an ENTD with Algus in it) to see which job is his.

Quote from: LegaultCriez on February 13, 2021, 05:27:27 amMy first initial thought is just adjust some things using the FFTPatcher, go to the jobs section and change one of the 01,02,03 or the 04 since from what I understand thats all his right?

And then to make and change the skillset into my own custom skill set, just go to the skillset tab and add a new one, go back to the job and change the skillset to the one i just made? I guess its not that simple?

The first 3 jobs are Ramza, then Delita is the 4th, just like the skillsets.
You won't be "creating" new skillsets so much as modifying ones that exist, but yeah it is that simple.

LegaultCriez

Quote from: Jumza on February 13, 2021, 10:38:01 amSkillsets 19, 1A, and 1B are all Ramza.
19 Guts is chapter 1, 1A Guts is chapter 2 / 3, 1B is chapter 4.
The fourth Guts skillset is Chapter 1 Delita. I believe Algus (mr. blonde guy) has a different skillset name, but you can check around the FFTPatcher (like check an ENTD with Algus in it) to see which job is his.

The first 3 jobs are Ramza, then Delita is the 4th, just like the skillsets.
You won't be "creating" new skillsets so much as modifying ones that exist, but yeah it is that simple.

Ay yes, "modifying". Apologies, english is not my first language. But yeah this is what i meant, just want to modify his skill set for the last chapter with something a bit more interesting, and i can simply rename the job name using the Tactext right? But i heard it have a word limit?

Thanks a lot guys, this is what i will working with for now, just changing ramza sprite for the 4th chapter and his skillset, i'll be using Elric TLW patch as base still.

Another thing i do want to do is change Ashley into Zidane from FF9 but looking around the sprite topic nobody take up the request for him yet so im testing to modify ramza 1st chapter sprite a bit, since he already got the ponytail look, maybe adjust the clothes colour around, hoping it works

and algus job is 07 with basic skill, was so sure his was also guts, guess not.

Thanks again! you guys have been really helpful, ill ask again if i need more help