• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:58:18 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Dad Confronts Abortion Protesters At Clinic

Started by Archael, October 28, 2010, 04:20:16 am

GeneralStrife

lolscience...i need only say one thing...nuclear weapons = nuclear holocaust = end of earth

VampragonLord

general strife, do you honestly believe that? XD
just because someone doesnt believe in some sort of diety/your diety, they dont have morals? do you honestly need someone to TELL you its wrong to kill someone? if you didnt believe in a diety, would you suddenly think its ok to kill people? or would you still go "you know, itd suck if i got killed, so i dont think im gonna kill people. that sounds fair."
also "ultimate moral authority" and "justice".... sorry isnt it the GOVERNMENT who is supposed to pass laws? not the church?  o.o (ignoring the part where PLENTY of theists have killed, raped, pillaged, tortured, etc, in THE NAME OF THE "ULTIMATE MORAL AUTHORITY"?)
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

FFMaster

Yeah, I hate you science! Why did you invent things such as the internet, computers, cars, etc? /end troll
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

GeneralStrife

i love science but it comes with its evils ffm...i dont know...this thread is pointless and will go nowhere

Shade

Quote from: "Voldemort"
Quotesince all religions are about teachings that teach us to be nice each other

Shade, the degree of ignorance towards science in your post is astounding.

Quoteby thinking in the way of science, like atoms that you can't even see, or we came out of nothinges, or we were once fish, or planet is ball that spins, or all stars are actually suns in long distance,dinasours existed long before humans,or , and you say religion is hard believe? I find some of these facts very hard to believe still(some of them not facts) and you find that we actually came from somewhere and had purpose to exist.

You seriously have to be the most ignorant and uneducated person I have ever seen on this site.

What you just wrote is an embarrassment to religious people everywhere. Are you in elementary school or something?
Have you ever had a formal education?

I don't even know how to respond. It's almost as if the more ignorant you are about the world around you and the more education (particularly about religious texts) you lack, the easier it is to believe in religion. Amazing.

Lol go tell those facts that I told at time of knights and shit, yeah it's more easy to believe that then existence of a god, oh wait not.
You just did your self, the point wasn't fucking that are they facts or not, but they would be fucking harder to believe then a god.

Also LOL for your lol since any of the Ten Commandments or The Golden Rule have nothing to do with teaching to living a good life, wait OR IT DOES.

You fail Arch.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

VampragonLord

Quotethey would be fucking harder to believe then a St. Ajora.

so believing the earth is 6billion years old and that we evolved from lesser forms of life (as evidenced by the fossil record, evolution, and other various proofs) is more difficult to believe then "there is a magical dude who floats in the sky and made the earth happen cause he was bored, and then put evidence to prove otherwise on said earth because he thought itd be lulzy and a good way to troll scientists, and left ZERO evidence of what he did"?
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Archael

Quote from: "Shade"You just did your self, the point wasn't fucking that are they facts or not, but they would be fucking harder to believe then a St. Ajora.

Except that the earth spinning, genetic ancestry, and atoms ARE FACTS.

They are NOT harder to believe than religious claims BECAUSE THERE IS DEMONSTRABLE EVIDENCE TO PROVE THEIR EXISTENCE. The only way scientific evidence is harder to believe than religion is if your religion has taught you to disregard any and all evidence that might go against it (pre-indoctrination).

QuoteYou fail Arch.

How's that? I'm not the one who is making categorical mistakes about the reality that surrounds me, lol.

Come back here when you receive a proper education and know what the hell it is you're talking about. (I'm seriously starting to think you are either very very young, or in an environment that purposefully keeps you ignorant. Perhaps a very poor country? Where do you study again?)

Why do I bother, you probably don't even know what half those terms mean. I knew you were one of FFH's worst posers Shade, but I had no idea the level of uselessness your mind could really reach.

philsov

QuoteWhat would you tell your friends and loved ones right before you die?

"Thank you for everything.  Truly.  Everything.  Now, please cremate me and use the ashes as fertilizer."

Yes, seriously.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Gotwald

Quote from: "Voldemort"genetic ancestry

Not techinically a fact, because evolution is still a theory (I am a biology student and I whole heartedly believe in evolution, just sayin it is not a fact yet)
-- Attention Citizens, this is the Computer. 2 + 2 now equals 3.9999238849009985. Please recalibrate your equipment.

My youtube Channel
My 1.3 Playthough (Complete)
My Final fantasy I Blind playthrough

philsov

If you're a biology student, might I recommend some reading on "Cell Theory"?  

How the word theory is used in technical, scientific literature and common English vernacular is quite different, and anyone who scoffs and says "its just a theory" doesn't understand this disparity.  

Also, gravity is still a theory, afaik  :P

Archael

Quote from: "Gotwald"Not techinically a fact, because evolution is still a theory (I am a biology student and I whole heartedly believe in evolution, just sayin it is not a fact yet)

Common, common mistake. We were actually talking about this in chat earlier.

The word THEORY has 2 definitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
refers to contemplation or speculation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
In the sciences, a scientific theory comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena.[1]

The second is a collection of facts used to explain the world around us.

The "theory" of evolution is a scientific theory.

A Scientific Theory is even stronger than just facts.

More from the same page:
A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory, a law will always remain a law.

Which is why "The Theory Of Evolution" will never be called a "Law of Evolution", like I know some of you ignorant religious types LOVE to state. And that doesn't matter, because the Scientific Theory of Evolution IS MADE UP of Scientific Laws and facts.

Evolution doesn't require your "belief" to be real anymore than the toothbrush you use every morning.

:ban:

Melancthon

Beliefs as defined in-thread:  Agnostic Atheist

I am unwilling to rule out the possibility of a deity, but given the lack of evidence I think we have to do without.

"Religion":  Non-practicing Taoist

That's a joke.  I have serious Buddhist leanings, but I don't meditate or anything.

My beliefs in the smallest nutshell I can force them into:

Life is pretty much a painful and unpleasant experience.  Discomfort and dissatisfaction is far more common than comfort and happiness.

Pain (physical/mental/spiritual/emotional/psychic/etc.) causes people to make bad decisions.  A person in pain will do pretty much anything to get rid of that pain, including causing pain to others.

Causing pain to others increases the odds that they will cause pain to you (because they are making bad decisions/not thinking clearly).

My one and only moral rule:

Cause as little pain as possible.

This one rule requires absolutely no faith (I think faith is a form of intellectual dishonesty), and yet it leads to a highly moral way of life.  It becomes a simple matter of cause and effect.

NOTE TO JON:  Archeal is not being an arrogant asshole here.  Believe it or not, in his mind (and mine), he is trying to help you.  Remember, if you are afraid to have your faith tested (by other people or especially yourself questioning it), your faith is not that strong.  Don't be afraid to look into your own beliefs.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Kill_Bones

Gawd is real and the Earth is the center of the solar system!

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Shade

Quote from: "Voldemort"Except that the earth spinning, genetic ancestry, and atoms ARE FACTS.

If you woulda realized THE POINT you would know that post had nothing to do with facts itself, only thing that I was talking about would you believe year 500 or even lower in without proving either of things existences, what would you believe, god or those scientific facts and theories.

Quote from: "Voldemort"They are NOT harder to believe than religious claims BECAUSE THERE IS DEMONSTRABLE EVIDENCE TO PROVE THEIR EXISTENCE. The only way scientific evidence is harder to believe than religion is if your religion has taught you to disregard any and all evidence that might go against it (pre-indoctrination).

Ah yes it's not hard grasp something like atom that 1. you can't see 2. you can't feel 3. you can't hear 4. you can't smell it 5. you can't taste it
Also what evidence can go againts something that isn't meant to be taking literally like you do. Only way scientific evidence is hard to believe when you never had no information about it.
Quote from: "Voldemort"How's that? I'm not the one who is making categorical mistakes about the reality that surrounds me, lol.

Come back here when you receive a proper education and know what the hell it is you're talking about. (I'm seriously starting to think you are either very very young, or in an environment that purposefully keeps you ignorant. Perhaps a very poor country? Where do you study again?)

Why do I bother, you probably don't even know what half those terms mean. I knew you were one of FFH's worst posers Shade, but I had no idea the level of uselessness your mind could really reach.

Why should I bother with your stupid post, well they are pretty damm funny to read since you can't seem to grasp idea of me countering your point againts all religion, that was how stupid they sound, and happened to miss it totally. that's why this is now funny. Also I told you it's wasn't about the facts are they true or not, what is harder to believe without evidence about god or scientific facts.
I had no idea that you can't even read, or you can't even post repond to every thing, those thin gthat you skipped were about facts, and you can't even respond to those, instead you are like you are stupid for not knowing about that the earth spinning, genetic ancestry, and atoms are facts, when I did not talk about that at all.

Ps. Why do you seem to know nothing about religion at all?
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Wiz

November 15, 2010, 01:10:49 am #134 Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:27:03 am by Wiz
Before Arch winds up his Hail-Mary on you, I thought I'd soften you up a bit since you're keeping everyone entertained.

Anyways:

1st Para: What would I think in the year 500 (BC or AD Shade?) about Deities and of the like? I nor anyone else could tell you that since we didn't live back then. What I can and will say though is that in those times, telling people that you didn't believe G0D existed would result in getting your head chopped off in England and many other European countries. People in present day know this is one of many things to be true due to documentation (evidence), which reveals it as fact.

Said Statements up above are very broad, but to the point.

2nd Para: Your poorly written question is what I'll reply to. Nobody is literally talking about concrete/tangible things but rather abstract ones like the concept of G0D. Because this idea of a Deity(-ies) can't be proven/disproven as something that physically exists, people are inclined to BELIEVE/THINK IT IS OR IS NOT REAL.

3rd Para: Not worth responding to since it mostly only has mud being slung around. He can speak for himself on that.

PS: Did you not see that he just got done telling you he was subjected to the Catholic environment in his adolescent and college years at Marquette? It's best not to make blanked statements on a topic you're not  well-versed with.

And I learned this the hard way from the "Don't F*CK With Me" thread that I published recently.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

SilvasRuin

To be fair, many religious founders were the "love and peace" sort and it's their followers that later started the "convert or die!" bullshit.  The only two exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Hubbard and Mohammed, the former being malicious and possibly crazy(er than most) to begin with, and the latter having commanded troops into battle.  I have no idea if there's someone people attribute Judaism to, but their biblical years at least were as racial isolationists looking out only for themselves and their prosperation, even if at the expense of (possibly hostile) heathens.  Not quite the same as "convert or die!"  More like "get out of our way or die!"

I have no idea who founded Satanism, but worship of self is most likely another exception to loving and accepting religious founders.  >_>

Odal

Wow, The Young Turks videos are being posted here?  Oy, I may have to stop visiting here lol. TYT are just a group of confused, emotional, and extreme leftists.

Advocating the choice to having an abortion is conservative, not liberal.  Liberals are the people in the streets who probably want to outlaw the act of abortion.  They're the ones who say "We know what's right for everyone, so let's make it law."  All TYT does is confuse the two when it's convienient for them.

I'll have to rant on this later when I have time, if I think about it...

GeneralStrife

Apparently, atheism has its own definition of free speech: When I attack you, it's just criticism. When you attack me, you are practicing RELIGIOUS OPPRESSION AAAARGGH THE EVIL THEOCRACY!!!

Archael

Quoteonly thing that I was talking about would you believe year 500 or even lower in without proving either of things existences, what would you believe, St. Ajora or those scientific facts and theories.
Ah yes it's not hard grasp something like atom that 1. you can't see 2. you can't feel 3. you can't hear 4. you can't smell it 5. you can't taste it

And here we come to the #1 problem with what you're trying to say. You can't see, feel, hear, smell, or taste any g0d, from any religion. They are just not knowable by the senses. Many natural processes are, however, observable. Sure, atoms and cells might be too small for your ocular mechanism to detect individually, but given a tool (microscope), you are able to see them.

I understand that what you are trying to say is not that scientific facts aren't facts, but that to some ancient society without scientific knowledge they would be a more difficult explanation to believe than a religious one, right?

My response is that the point is irrelevant and it adds not value whatsoever to religious claims.  The same could be said Zeus and Odin and Mythology, that it's easier for an ancient "stone age, year 500 civilization" to believe in any Mythos, that doesn't make it any more valid than any other religion.

Oh! It's easier for Ancient Norway to believe in Norse Mythology than it was for them to believe in Evolution and Atoms!

Who cares? That doesn't add ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to the validity of Freya or Norse Mythology.

You made your point, and I understand it, the problem is that it's the dumbest point in the entire thread, Shade.

Also Shade please PLEASE take an English class. One of the reasons your points usually come across all wrong is because your English is terrible and it's really hard to understand you.

Quote from: "GeneralStrife"Apparently, atheism has its own definition of free speech: When I attack you, it's just criticism. When you attack me, you are practicing RELIGIOUS OPPRESSION AAAARGGH THE EVIL THEOCRACY!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Read that. That is what most atheists want, and if you're a rational person whatsoever interested in the development of humanity as a whole, it's going to sound pretty damn good to you too.

It's not hard to see how religion can get in the way of that.

Instead of defending your beliefs with evidence, all you can do is whine and cry that they are being questioned. If you want to adhere to a belief system, then that is your choice. But don't be surprised that there's people out there who will question them and will want to see evidence before believing that there is an invisible man in the sky that watches everything you do, planned everything you do from day 1 (but gave you freedom of will at the same time, somehow).

philsov

Quoteall you can do is whine and cry that they are being questioned.

Or strawman and troll and never state your own position on anything.  

:)