• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:21 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Valk's, modified Effects for Cloud. Are some impossible to mod?

Started by Valkirst, June 22, 2014, 09:55:55 pm

Valkirst

So I have come across some effects that seem to be impossible to mod they are usually the ones that are grayed out when you look at the effect rip. I was wondering if anyone knew the why to this conundrum of mine?
  • Modding version: PSX
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Choto

Some effects use a different palette setup. more specifically, some are 16 palettes of 16 colors while others are 1 256 color palette. This also affects the bpp - bits per pixel of the bmp image. If the original image is 16 bpp and you edit it in 8 bpp, the resulting bmp will be much larger than the original.

To make matters more complicated, some frames are colored through alternate means - the data of which is stored in another part of the effect.

What exactly do you mean by "Impossible to mod" though? does it crash? does it not change color? does it not change graphic?

Valkirst

The graphic and the color on salamander just kept messing up. Two examples are Climhazzard and Omnislash as for the graphic not changing. I didn't change the palette though for those, just wanted to add stuff.
Completed Sprites

Choto

ya, its probably the encoding of the pixels. There should be a way around it but I can't work it out at the moment. I'll try to revisit it and figure it out.

Valkirst

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I have some fun ideas I would like to try out using sprites and effects in tandem to create seemingly new ways of performing animation skills for specific characters.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

June 24, 2014, 11:07:15 pm #5 Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:04:59 pm by Valkirst
Here are what I am trying to do with some of the others. implement Cloud into the actual effect animation. In the Cross Slash animation I have him disappear and he reappears very briefly for the skill attack. For Braver I have just add some slashing effects to give it more of the original FF VII feel .

The two bins are below for anyone who wants to use them and both versions of Cross Slash. For some like Meteorain I just have Cloud jump, it creates a cool effect. 

Braver E0247

Cross Slash E0249

Completed Sprites

Celdia

• Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

Valkirst

June 25, 2014, 03:18:38 am #8 Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:00:24 pm by Elric
As soon as I figure out how to do that I will Elric.

I have two versions of the Cross slash. one I am testing out right now. Ill see what I can do about a video tomorrow.

EDIT:
Anywho, here is a video of Braver and a different version of Cross Slash than the one I uploaded with two Cloud frames instead of one in action. I also uploaded the different version up.

Completed Sprites

3lric

I saw the Terra effects on Youtube, must admit, both of those look pretty awesome.
However for Cloud, I couldn't really see the difference in the first attack, and having him
disappear for such a long time for the second attack seems a bit off, though I can tell
what you were going for.

Good job so far on these.

EDIT: One other thing to mention, you should make the Buster Sword 2 sided, FFT does
not have 1 sided blades. I'll attach the sheet we use for Jot5 which has a FFT version
Buster Sword on it.

Choto

Not too shabby! I'm pumped somebody is working on effects =)

Valkirst

Thanks y'all! :)

Okay so Elric, you were right about Braver, I mean I could see it, but that's because I knew what to look for. As for the disappearing act, it doesn't really bother me, but of course that aspect is entirely optional. However about the Buster Sword, I am guessing you are referring to the regular swords, not to like the Katana and Nodachi since those are one sided blades. Besides I already started modding all of my effects using the original buster sword... sooo... yeahhh... :P 

I am still looking to modify Omnislash and Climhazzard those are the other two Cloud effects that irk me as to their original conception. This is on the Help board after all, I know Choto said you'll look into it, but if anyone can help out with figuring out how to mod those type of effects that would be awesome possum. Annnywho, here is a reworked version of Braver, which you can definitely see. I also redid the Omnislash sprite frames using the OG buster sword and yes he is a little taller than usual, that is for the effect of power and I uploaded the final version of Braver and Cross Slash up and got rid of the others.

Braver V4

EDIT: I also have another question and this may seem silly to ask but is all the information for how a skill is performed, the direction it comes in, what colors gets saturated or highlighted for effect etc. all found in the bin file?
Completed Sprites

3lric

Yes, I'm referring to normal swords, neither the Buster Sword nor the Materia Blade are Katanas.

I see whats going on for Braver now, so my other concern is for the sake of consistency, why does he
not disappear for Braver as he did for Blade Beam (i think that was it?)

Atma

I checked out your videos on YouTube.  Are the effects for Terra's Riot Blade and Summon available?
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Valkirst

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10468.msg198937#msg198937

Here you go Atma there is the summon and a few others I have worked on. I haven't put out Riot Blade because I am not done with Terra's sprite sheet just yet. When I finish her I will put it all out as a bundle on my Terra sprite Sheet post.

And Elric I was just testing it out when I put up the video to see how it looked, and forgot to have him disappear. Again though that whole aspect is optional. Do you think that there should be a consistency with the sort of after image modifications? I guess that makes sense, Haha. Also, if you wanted to use these Elric, for JotF I can make them so they have the Buster Sword on the sprite sheet :)
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

So I have tried replacing some Bins with others and I take it that the bins have to be the same size and almost have the same effects. Here I replaced dark holy but had to use the information in the bin of the regular Holy spell in order to work. I didn't want to get rid of Holy altogether since I like it. I just wish I new a bit more about the bin information, how the game reads it and what's what. Are there any programs that will allow me to know the timing, or what part of the image it is going to use etc.

Anywho, here is my version of Omnislash. ENJOY! One replaces Holy the other Dark Holy.. sooo yeahh!

[youtube]zPCMJ2xslxE[youtube]

Completed Sprites

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

I like it, but I still can't get down with that Buster Sword. Especially considering that it would have to take over
his singing frames, and it would make no sense if, lets say, he was a mage chanting a spell. The effect itself
is pretty cool though.

Valkirst

Thanks Jumza :3

And yeah, I totally get that Elric, again, that aspect is totally optional, weapon strike would work just as well. However I am getting rid of the dancer and bard class. Spells I believe do in fact use a different sprite animation than the singing but of course if he were a Bard class there would be some issues... that or you can say he's using the sword like a mic! lol

Now, I have a question, is there anyway of making this an area of effect attack with it not constantly reanimating on each new hit? Possibly with some ASM hacking so that it hits all at once with just one animation?
Completed Sprites

CONMAN

I'm loving this Valk! 
QuoteHowever I am getting rid of the dancer and bard class

Did this same thing!
QuoteSpells I believe do in fact use a different sprite animation than the singing

Yup- they are different
QuoteNow, I have a question, is there anyway of making this an area of effect attack with it not constantly reanimating on each new hit?

I'm not sure on this, but I know several spells are hard coded to only display once when given aoe (but the rest are affected anyway- i think).  I'm pretty sure Choto made an ASM to do the opposite and have single-display-spells strike multiple times.  I think he might know this.