• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:06:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Old] ALL old topics created before the FULL release (Merged together!)

Started by Dome, December 05, 2010, 02:02:09 pm

Which one is the best, and why?

Ignore
0 (0%)
this
0 (0%)
topic
0 (0%)
!!!!!1111
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Dome

I will create some custom skillset for enemies only

Custom skillsets will have no A-abilities, but some Movement / Support / Reaction skills
Forcing the skillset as a secondary on an enemy unit, and giving them "random" abilities on the FFPatcher, I should be able to add a touch of randomness to enemy units, while still keeping control on what they can equip

Example
(The custom skillset contains Move +1 / Jump +2 / Counter / Defend / Counter flood / Defense up)

Enemy knight

Battle skill
-Custom skillset- (It will look like a normal skillset in-game)
Counter OR Counter flood
Defend OR Defense up
Move +1 OR Jump +2

Considering that there are OVER 9000 free custom skillset, I can create a lot of them, allowing for a lot of -Controlled- randomness

What do you think?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Hoxir

I don't really know if it's a bug, but isn't Fire supposed to be the stronger of the three first spells? Fire is powerful and has less AoE, Bolt is faster and has medium damage and AoE, and Ice has great AoE. My Bolt is always stronger than Fire...

And why there are some repeated skills? Like Move +1 in Squire and Thief (why you removed the +2, man!)? Isn't a loss of time to build JP and buy a skill that I could have bought before?

Dome

I don't really know if it's a bug, but isn't Fire supposed to be the stronger of the three first spells? Fire is powerful and has less AoE, Bolt is faster and has medium damage and AoE, and Ice has great AoE. My Bolt is always stronger than Fire...

Describe us your equipment / How the enemy is equipped / Who is the target, etc...otherwise, we can't help you
Fire IS stronger than the other elemental spells, on normal conditions

QuoteAnd why there are some repeated skills? Like Move +1 in Squire and Thief (why you removed the +2, man!)? Isn't a loss of time to build JP and buy a skill that I could have bought before?

Bug (Fixed)

Barren

I think a Knight with Defend/Counter Flood is a unique idea......as far as custom skill set...I was thinking maybe he can have either gafgarrion's night sword or agrias' holy sword moves. I think they should work fine. the movement can be up to you
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Hoxir

Until now I fought only at Mandalia Plains, so, just engaged with Red Panthers and humans enemies. Well, actually it was raining. This affects the spells? Awesome!

Dome, you said the bug of repeated skills now is solved, but this applies to other skills as well? (Ramza's cadet job has Counter, and Knight too)

By the way, the game is awesome. I didn't finish the v1.3 before (and I was wondering if I should do this before playing v1.4), but this game, even incomplete, it's cool like v1.3. :)

Dome

QuoteUntil now I fought only at Mandalia Plains, so, just engaged with Red Panthers and humans enemies. Well, actually it was raining. This affects the spells? Awesome!

Yes, it always did xD

QuoteDome, you said the bug of repeated skills now is solved, but this applies to other skills as well? (Ramza's cadet job has Counter, and Knight too)

Special classes will always have duplicate skills...sorry

QuoteBy the way, the game is awesome. I didn't finish the v1.3 before (and I was wondering if I should do this before playing v1.4), but this game, even incomplete, it's cool like v1.3. :)

FFT 1.3 is both a rebalancing and Hardtype patch, not suited for newbies of FFT
FFT 1.4 is meant to be played by everyone, noobs and pros

philsov

QuoteWhat do you think?

Cuts into the secondary action skillset too much.

What I do recommend, however, is doing something similar:

A abilities of that class
cool R/S/M

set it as their primary.

This will cause them to auto-learn their action skillset, and with that randomly pick up set but random R/S/M, which can be possibly expanded to 3 rxn/3 support + 1 set movement.  There's enough skillset space for you to do this with 4 skillsets for each mage class and probably 2 for each non-mage class, and even within those varied RSM (ie, "late game battle skill" = 100% knight skills + hamedo/damage split, while "early game battle skill" = 50% of the knight skills + counter/autopotion) to allow for scaling by design.

Meanwhile, you can combine in with this other custom skillsets of similar name to net a similar bank of action abilities and even wider RSM selection.  It's easier than front-loading the primary with all 16 actions and having an effectively blank secondary to help with RSM.

The only catch to this is that since actions are auto-learn, it cuts into the randomness that is ability selection.  In general I think this is a good thing, but from a randomness standpoint it's still not optimum, albeit superior.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dome

So..forcing custom skillsets as a primary works like this...
Thanks for the suggestion Phil :-)

The Damned

Yeah, philsov's method seems like it would be the best.

I can never remember which skill sets are auto-learned, though.

Also, philsov, I was wondering something: Is there a method to keep the computer from using primary skill sets with blue magic (or that is Blue Magic) if you let them have "Random" skill sets? Or do you need to limit everything?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

QuoteIs there a method to keep the computer from using primary skill sets with blue magic (or that is Blue Magic) if you let them have "Random" skill sets? Or do you need to limit everything?

Needs limits, sadly.  Learn via JP, iirc, doesn't apply to AI functions, but JP cost and AI% to learn abilities will, so you can wrangle their spellbook via that method.  Personally I just have custom, gated blue magic skillsets for the various chapters, like a chapter 2 blue mage won't know something from a tiamat but will know something from chocobo. 

The Damned

Oh, I remembered that. I meant more about secondaries, which seem more problematic really. You wouldn't want an enemy non-Blue Mage unit (or non-Summoner, Wizard, Priest or Illusionist) having a secondary of the "normal" Blue Magic (before Chapter 4 presumably, and even then maybe not), right?

Yet I'm not seeing any (obvious) way to prevent that. Sorry for not being clear (as always).

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

make the blue mage a dead end on the job tree, thereby preventing its unlocking as you set job level on the units?

QuoteSo..forcing custom skillsets as a primary works like this...

If you look at 1.3 in patcher, you'll see this sort of thing done with Ovelia and Weigraf, notably.  Their primaries aren't even forced, but they just have their primary naturally and their skillset is along the long band of "auto learn everything", with a bank of RSM to toy with and <random> for RSM in their ENTD settings.  Doing this on enemy generics obviously warrants forcing primaries and/or secondaries.  In terms of mixing and matching, this also allows you to set job level for secondary funsies -- ie, primary is auto learn with 100% abilities, but secondary is punch art and they're a job level 5 monk with its random bank of abilities from ~650 JP 

The Damned

Yeah, forcing custom skill sets tends to solve a lot of problems or, at the very least, mean that you don't have to make another job just for a custom skill set that's slightly different. There's enough job waste as it is.

*glares at Assassin and Holy Knight*

Quote from: philsov on March 28, 2011, 09:30:30 am
make the blue mage a dead end on the job tree, thereby preventing its unlocking as you set job level on the units?

...This doesn't bode well for my mage plans then, though I suppose Time Magic and Summon Magic are less problematic than Black Magic and White Magic. Then again, it's not like I want it to be difficult to get Flare or Holy....

*sighs*

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Barren

Esuna also cancels positive status effects....not just negative status effects....you might want to check that
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

EpicSolidSnake

R.I.P : SolidSnakeDog

Dome

Dome

Pierce

I think first tier black magic is a little overpowered, considering it's likely that most casters early on will be females with 70 faith.
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda

Pierce

I think maybe generic's Brave/Faith should allow for more creativity.

Maybe instead of 3 females having 65/70, there should be (at least) one that's different, like with 70/55. And it's hard to have a male caster when all of them have 55 faith and given their -1 MA compared to females, I personally think at least one should have decent faith.
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda