• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:51 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Celdia's Sprite Swaps

Started by Celdia, February 21, 2011, 02:29:07 am

Celdia

February 21, 2011, 02:29:07 am Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:59:05 pm by Celdia
For those of you who frequent chat you'll be familiar with my latest project and first real attempt at anything other than a palette swap. For those of you who don't visit chat, here is my female Demagogue for my CCP project.

Twin helped me clean up the alignment of some of the sprite panels and Kagebunji cleaned up the portrait for me. If you're interested in the full spritesheet it is in the Site Submission section.

So now I'm onto yet another sprite since I once again find our custom selection lacking for what I want in my patch. I'm trying another swap, this time between the Priest and Summoner with some palette adjustments as well. Here's my preliminary attempt on the first five panels.

The color on the hair needs a little work I think but I know that's also tied to the shading in the face so I haven't tried to clean that up yet.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Cheetah

Eek, first day spriting and you have already committed a cardinal sin. Never post anything in jpg format. Repost in PNG and I will have some comments :).
Current Projects:

Celdia

February 21, 2011, 03:51:20 am #2 Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:57:20 am by Celdia
Ugh. Fucking Photobucket. -_-

There, fixed.

Cheetah

Not bad.

For the portrait you are using as your avatar. The neck of her shirt, or whatever, is cutting into her chin a bit too much. Probably an issue of too dark of pixels at the top.

The summoner needs a bit more texture to his hair, right now it looks like he is missing something on the top of his head. Look at the 10 year old boy for reference.
Current Projects:

Wolfran

Nice sprite, Celdia.
I think the head in the first frame (that is facing to the right) needs to be fix beacuse it looks like he had a tumor or something. And this sprite could be more than headswap, maybe changing the boots or cape will be great.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

GeneralStrife

The warrior ovelia looks better than I thought it would, what's she supposed to be?

mav

I've never much liked the male Summoner sprite, so it's hard for me to be a huge fan of this. Nonetheless, effective headswap. I like your Demagogue sprite, just try to give her some more custom work, swap out her arms or something. The face shape on the portrait is awkward. Her right cheek is like bulging out.

shishi-sensou

por alguna razón no puedo ver las imágenes .-.

Celdia

February 21, 2011, 11:54:49 pm #8 Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:56:44 pm by Celdia
@Cheetah: Thank you, I'll take a look at the 10 year old boy sprite. I know the hair looks odd on this swap but its a straight pull from Priest and I'm not sure why it doesn't look so bad on that one. I'll also see what I can do about the Demogogue portrait.

@Wolfran: You mean those couple of vertical pixels right on the edge of the face? I tried just removing them and I swear it looked worse rather than better. Sadly as it sits now I don't have a lot of colors available for skin tones.

@GeneralStrife: In my patch the Demagogue is a kind of war chanter, or as a few people call it a super-Mediator. I really just wanted an armor-wearing unit with an unusual skill set so I paired wide-range talk skills with an armor user.

@Mav: Like it or not, I appreciate you taking the time to look at it. ^_^ As for my Demagogue portrait, I chose that edge of the face to look like that on purpose, as its a feature taken straight from the female lancer. When I tried leaving it out and filling in that side of the face it just looked too much like Ovelia to me.

@Shishi-sensou: I have no idea why you can't see the images. Would you like me to upload them as attachments so you can download them from the forum?

Kagebunji

Simple design, if you are aiming only for a headswap, then good job. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more customized though, heh.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Celdia

After a few false starts on the Nomad I decided to put him on the back burner for a little while. In the meantime I have constructed this freak of a sprite.

As you can see though, that portrait needs some serious help...and as we all know, portraits are not my strong suit. I'm taking suggestions.

Here it is alone.

Cheetah

Is it an archer with Monk legs? Looks decent enough, harder to do than a head swap. Portrait actually isn't that bad. The shading on the face is odd around the edges, and the braid needs a lot of work.
Current Projects:

mav

What the hell happened to the shading on the portrait? Really flat stuff. How did it look before you reduced the colors. And this sprite is a little boring; it's not all that different from the standard female Archer. Change the arms and palette up a bit.

Celdia

Actually I had a much easier time with this than I did the headswap on the Demagogue, but that might be a matter of learning what I'm doing more than anything.

The portrait is actually a bad combination of three portraits that all used totally different angles on the faces so when I reduced the colors it just came out utterly awful looking. That portrait uses 16 colors and it could probably be done with like 12, but there are so many pointless and out of place shading tones in there from the mash-up I did.

As for palettes on the sprite, I really hadn't decided where to go with that yet. I'd thought about maybe giving her a belt to just kind of accent the waist some and maybe doing something with this huge kneepads on the boots but I wasn't sold on anything yet. Originally I wanted to lose the boot color on the chest but now I'm not so sure.

LastingDawn

Hmm... I do have to agree, I didn't see much different at first, for a Nomad I would imagine... maybe the Thief's lower half? If that doesn't look that great how does Meliadoul's lower half translate over to an Archer sprite? Though that may be only because of my wish to see Sydney's half-cloak thing he wears in Vagrant Story.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

RavenOfRazgriz

I actually like the current draft, but the Portrait does need work.  The cheek furthest from the viewer juts out a pixel more than it should.  The ponytail could also use work, but making those things is a braided nightmare anyway so props for even trying.  God knows I never would, and even on the alternate Warlock Twin and I did he didn't want to get near braids.  It's a start, though.  I'd give her a belt that uses the same palette set as her gloves to give her a bit more definition, maybe.  You could possibly take that armored bit from the right breast and turn it into a full breastplate too, but I'm unsure as to how that'd look.

Kagebunji

Fixes I told you about. Again, DON'T USE THIS, use this only as a starting point for your own fixes. I fixed pixels on face, made the neck thicker, made clothes bigger, and erased that thing above her clothes on our left.

Celdia

Okay, took the fixes Kage made and ran with them some. Also tried to throw in some new palettes though I'm actually not too keen on the gold palette as it is.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Celdia on February 27, 2011, 11:28:17 am
Okay, took the fixes Kage made and ran with them some. Also tried to throw in some new palettes though I'm actually not too keen on the gold palette as it is.

Yeah Ok.
The portraits hair colors aren't matching with the sprite's hair colors.
And yeah the gold pallette is odd, maybe too much yellowish going on there.

Kagebunji

Like I said on chat, yellow is just too bright. As to hair color, total bs, I see no reason for wich sprite and portrait don't match, both are blonde, and look damn similiar.