• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:57 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Alternate Animations v3

Started by Xifanie, December 25, 2022, 11:31:41 pm

Xifanie

You know what it's about. Just download the damn spreadsheet.

I might add a description later

PS: Please tell me if there's anything you find confusing about the spreadsheet use!
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

October 30, 2023, 10:41:58 pm #1 Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:16:17 am by Nyzer
After applying the hack, Behemoth attacks (which weren't modified) crash the game. Goblin seems fine. Red Panther was almost fine, but Poison Nail, which WAS given an exception, was using the magic charging pre-animation that was supposed to be part of the Type 1/Type 2 animation set, whereas the human unit was not. And switching them didn't make the human unit use the special charging effect.

---

Upon further testing, the Poison Nail issue might be because I had both Type 1 and Type 2 checked in the same row. After removing Type 2 from all those rows, it worked correctly for both monsters and humans. I'd assumed multiple types that shared the same animation could be set up in the same Exception, but I suppose in those cases, if one wants both Type 1 and Type 2 for Blue Magic, it'll need to be changed to make the monster animation the exception, rather than the default. Might be best if there's any way for the sheet to show an error if multiple types are selected at once?

Oddly enough, re-enabling Type 2 on all those rows didn't cause the human unit to lose the magic charging effect again. /shrug

I was able to get Behemoth animations working again by changing them to x3E and x3F compared to their default x6E & x6F; no idea why the default doesn't work in this hack. Maybe there's some vanilla code that this hack overwrites that checks for weird shit and just defaults to default attack animations? Scratch that, x6E and x6F actually do normally have different animations than default attack.

---

I got to testing Choco Cure, and despite the fact that its exception was only set to Type 1, and the default was still vanilla,. it was also giving the spell charging animation before the ability went off. Also, since the Behemoth skill animations are different from their regular attack animations, that means there's some other issue with why it crashes the game, but I can't imagine what.

---

And I can confirm that Behemoth attacks crash the game in vanilla, too, using a fresh copy of the spreadsheet and only using Load Data before patching.

---

None of these issues seem to be present in Alternate Animations v2, so I'll just use that instead for the time being.

---
Nov 6:

Experienced a bug with Counter displaying Action Effect messages after the damage display - either "[ ] Broke" or "Stole [ ]". It's not very likely that anyone will use Alternate Animations 2.0, especially as I don't think it was actually made public at a glance, but maybe since 3.0 is buggy you'd consider it?

Anyway, the spreadsheet's kanji space seems to be set by default to 0x80150000. It doesn't even appear in OrgASM's Free Space checker, and apparently the Event Instruction Upgrade Hack is writing over various bytes in the space set for the Action Effect messages.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown