• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:40:47 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[SOLVED] EasyVent ESP 2.1 Compilation Issue

Started by Hillgrave, July 26, 2022, 06:03:17 pm

Hillgrave

July 26, 2022, 06:03:17 pm Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:44:52 pm by Hillgrave
Hello,

I just discovered this community recently and fell in love with what you're all doing here. The Lion War 2.021 just blew my mind, so of course I tried editing it using your tools, but after a promising start, I ran into an issue I can't find a solution to in the forums or anywhere else.

Here's what I did to get to where I am: I downloaded all the 2.021 resources, and after successfully modifying the Alazlam speech in the intro, I was emboldened to move on to editing the dialogue in the Orbonne Prayer event at the beginning of the game. To do this, I downloaded EasyVent Editor Super Perfect 2.1, then loaded The Lion War event directory followed by "001 Orbonne Prayer," and got to work. I touched nothing but dialogue, and after compiling, I patched with CDMage b5 (specifically, I overwrote the TEST.EVT I found on the disc with the new one I compiled) and booted the game to check out my new dialogue.

Success! But no . . .

Instead of the loading screen for the game's first battle appearing after the Orbonne Prayer event, Gaff, Agrias, and Ramza suddenly appeared inside the entrance to the monastery where they left. Then they started attacking an invisible chemist, knight, and archer (who all became visible once their turns arrived). Once the enemies were destroyed, my team just continued taking turns forever (Ramza was AI-controlled like the rest).

I turned off the game and after playing around a bit, I discovered I could use CDMage to overwrite the now modified TEST.EVT on the disc with the version provided in "The Lion War 2.021 Resources\3. TLW EVENT STUFF" to return the game back to its normal functionality. My next test was to load up the Orbonne Prayer event in EasyVent again (same event directory as before), but this time, edit nothing. I merely compiled the event unedited and applied the result with CDMage.

Boom. Same glitch happened again.

Next, I tried extracting the event from the "TLW EVENT STUFF" version of TEST.EVT (this is the one that restored my game to normal functionality before) so I could try compiling and patching using that instead (my goal here was to see if EasyVent was the culprit or if it was merely something written in the event from The Lion War event directory). Unfortunately, I got error messages upon loading up the event this time and couldn't compile it either.

I feel like I must be making an obvious beginner's mistake somewhere because I can't find anyone else with this issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help! Your time is very much appreciated.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Hillgrave

Nyzer

You missed something in the Resources download topic. EVSP likely comes with an old, uncondensed version of the TLW events. There is a link to a TLW-prepped EVSP download in the Resources topic, but Elric keeps it tucked away so he can tell when someone hasn't made sure to read over the topic carefully, and he can narrow his eyes with parental disapprovement and tell them not to be sorry, but just to do better in the future.

Lots of folks have been caught in that trap.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

nitwit

Quote from: Nyzer on July 27, 2022, 12:20:20 amYou missed something in the Resources download topic. EVSP likely comes with an old, uncondensed version of the TLW events. There is a link to a TLW-prepped EVSP download in the Resources topic, but Elric keeps it tucked away so he can tell when someone hasn't made sure to read over the topic carefully, and he can narrow his eyes with parental disapprovement and tell them not to be sorry, but just to do better in the future.

Lots of folks have been caught in that trap.
How many of them leave forever after being caught in this trap?

Hillgrave

Ooo, sneaky Elric. I'll look for the correct version later today and let you know if all is well.

In the mean time, thank you, thank you!

Hillgrave

Nyzer, you life-saver, you . . . Everything's perfect now.

Turns out that the download I missed in the Resources topic wasn't missed at all. I just thought it linked to the version I already had when I first saw it.

Anyway, I read somewhere that I have to mark my topic as closed if my problem's been solved, so I'm gonna try and figure out how to do that now.

Really though, thanks again--you saved me so much pain, I wish I could do more than just praise you. Have yourself a lovely day (and several more if you're not opposed).

3lric

Quote from: Hillgrave on July 27, 2022, 11:08:02 amOoo, sneaky Elric. I'll look for the correct version later today and let you know if all is well.

In the mean time, thank you, thank you!

It is done that way to ensure that you read the resources thread, so i dont have to answer the same questions over and over.

3lric

Quote from: nitwit on July 27, 2022, 10:03:37 amHow many of them leave forever after being caught in this trap?

None that have said anything

Hillgrave

Quote from: Elric on July 27, 2022, 03:44:29 pmIt is done that way to ensure that you read the resources thread, so i dont have to answer the same questions over and over.
I understand, and I wasn't being serious saying "sneaky." I don't see it as a very serious word, but sorry if it didn't come across that way.

I'm glad for everything you and others have done with this game. It clearly took a lot of time and hard work.

Nyzer

Quote from: nitwit on July 27, 2022, 10:03:37 amHow many of them leave forever after being caught in this trap?

I don't know of any who have. But in all honesty, if someone's response to being told that they're supposed to read the entire Resources topic, and that doing so will allow them to find what they missed, is to leave forever, I strongly doubt they would have persisted beyond minor FFTP tweaks. Modding by its very nature is time-consuming and requires a lot of reading to accomplish anything beyond surface-level changes.

I don't think I personally would have ever set things up that way, but I've never had any real gripe against it, because, this way, it's fairly easy to catch the fact that someone didn't download the TLW EVSP folder; that they didn't fully read the instructions.

There are already folks who've released event-edited mods based off TLW 2.0 since its release, despite having not made FFT mods before, so it does seem as though people are doing fine even with the trivial consequence of getting caught skimming the topic. Hell, if anything, I'd say the number of folks willing to dive into event editing (even if only dialogue) has increased lately, and a lot of the questions I would have expected when it comes to assembling all the various pieces of the mod have been very few and far between. Closest we've really gotten to that are exchanges like "I tried editing TLW but it didn't work". "Did you read the Resources thread?" "Wait, there's a Resources thread?" and then they seem to do fine from there.

Quote from: Hillgrave on July 27, 2022, 01:20:32 pmTurns out that the download I missed in the Resources topic wasn't missed at all. I just thought it linked to the version I already had when I first saw it.

Glad it worked out! Enjoy being able to actually leave the monastery now!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

nitwit

Maybe I should take up this method. I broke a tool I was working on due to "bugs" which were caused by that person not using the correct version of Java; but then again, I used Java and forced my users to install it so maybe I deserved what I got.

I apologize for being flippant.