• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:42 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Mods not working on Mac emulators

Started by duque121, October 24, 2021, 01:37:15 pm

duque121

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to everyone for creating amazing mods.  You are all incredible! 

I'm having trouble getting patched files to play on any emulator for Mac.  PCSXR will let me play the file, but menus are grayed out and during battle the command menus are covered with a solid white bar.  For example, instead of showing the Skill and MP cost, it only shows a white box overlay, although it will allow me to select and execute the unknown skill.  OpenEmu will let me dump the modded file, but it will not advance past the PSX load screen.  The original rom file plays without any problems on OpenEmu, however I have the same problems with white box overlays with PCSXR.  Any advice regarding what I'm doing wrong, or if there's a better emulator out there for Mac?  I'm using OSX Big Sur. 

Thanks for the help! 
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

You'll need to be specific about what kind of patched files you're using.

In the earlier days of FFT hacking, ASM hacks would break the game on all but the most inaccurate/least prone to crashing emulators. Later hacks have been made less fragile, though certain emulators still can't handle them well, even if the original hardware can.

It's also possible that the original ISO is dirty, and you need to get a new one and then patch it all over again.

duque121

I'm patching using .PPF patches.  The patch applicator I'm using is MultiPatch.  I downloaded the ISO file from EmuParadise.  And again, the original ISO does fine on OpenEmu, so I'm wondering if PCSXR itself is glitchy, although I've deleted and re-downloaded from different sources and I get the same results.

Are there any other details that may be useful to know?  I'm a novice when it comes to playing modded roms, so please forgive my ignorance. 

duque121

Quote from: Nyzer on October 24, 2021, 01:41:00 pmYou'll need to be specific about what kind of patched files you're using.

In the earlier days of FFT hacking, ASM hacks would break the game on all but the most inaccurate/least prone to crashing emulators. Later hacks have been made less fragile, though certain emulators still can't handle them well, even if the original hardware can.

It's also possible that the original ISO is dirty, and you need to get a new one and then patch it all over again.

I'm patching using .PPF patches.  The patch applicator I'm using is MultiPatch.  I downloaded the ISO file from EmuParadise.  And again, the original ISO does fine on OpenEmu, so I'm wondering if PCSXR itself is glitchy, although I've deleted and re-downloaded from different sources and I get the same results.

Are there any other details that may be useful to know?  I'm a novice when it comes to playing modded roms, so please forgive my ignorance.

Nyzer

duque121

Quote from: Nyzer on October 24, 2021, 02:14:21 pmWhich one?

I've been using Journey of the Five mainly.  I've also tried Celdia's Complete Patch and Durai Records. 

Nyzer

Jot5 release and CCP are known not to run on console (and probably not certain emulators as well). Not sure about Durai.

Unfortunately, I don't know any more about Macs myself, and couldn't tell you what the best emulator is for FFT mods on it.

nitwit

I can verify that Jot5 doesn't work on a PSP, unfortunately. Monster Tactics does, though that's not what you asked.

I recommend that you slide into the Duckstation discord and ask them if anyone has a Mac build. I don't see one on the assets page of their github, but maybe you'll have better luck.

https://github.com/stenzek/duckstation

3lric

Current versions of Jot5 are gonna work best on ePSXe or pSX, as there was some load delay issues in the original build. The build we are working on for the re-release and Ch2, does not have this issue and should work fine on whatever, though there is no current ETA, we are further along now than we were before now lol
  • Modding version: PSX

duque121

Got it.  Thanks for all the information everyone!  I may just have to sit back and wait patiently until the re-release. 

Y'all are awesome. Thanks for everything you do. Keep up the amazing work!