• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

RESOLVED - Unable to Launch "The Lion War" mod on PSVITA w/ Adrenaline

Started by WordstoSwords, October 03, 2021, 01:11:02 pm

WordstoSwords

October 03, 2021, 01:11:02 pm Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 07:18:02 pm by WordstoSwords Reason: RESOLVED
Hello everybody. I recently hacked my psVita and got Adrenaline installed, and I found the ISO/BIN file for PSX version of FFT and I patched the Lion War mod onto it using PPF-o-Matic. I then turned this modded file into an EBOOT.PBP file and inserted it into the correct folder on my Vita, but it won't launch and I'm kind of stuck at this point.

Does anybody have any ideas, or is this even the right forum to post in?

Thanks!
  • Modding version: PSX

Bonesy

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

WordstoSwords

I am pretty new to the website. I posted the incorrectly in the main help thread. Working on getting it deleted.

nitwit

Do other eboots you've made - vanilla and mods both - work?

If the problem isn't on your end, then that mod may not work on that hardware platform yet.

Also what version of TLW did you use?

3lric

I should also be noted that while I do not have a vita, I know there are issues converting a psx2psp if the serial is not known by popsloader on a normal PSP (I know nothing about Vita emulation or PS1 games on vita). Normally from FFT, you'd see SLUS_942.21, but because of the types of changes TLW 2.x makes, it was necessary to separate it from vanilla saves (and to avoid confusion and bugs during said confusion), so in this case, we use TLW2_942.21. The rom is updated during creation by a xml made by Cerabow which can be found in the resources.  If the issue with vita is similar in this regard. You could just omit that ASM when building TLW via the provided resources, and you should be good to go. Just make sure not to load any vanilla saves lol

nitwit

My PSP seems to dedicate an entire virtual memory card to each game, how would that work with mods of the same game? Save in different slots and don't get confused (unless you want to have an impromptu randomization session)?

3lric

Quote from: nitwit on October 04, 2021, 05:21:38 amMy PSP seems to dedicate an entire virtual memory card to each game, how would that work with mods of the same game? Save in different slots and don't get confused (unless you want to have an impromptu randomization session)?

Honestly if its the same serial, it would more be tracking to make sure you load the right save. This is the reason that we gave TLW2.x its own serial number, but when it comes to PSP Popsloader is unfortunately a finicky bitch :/

nitwit

Quote from: Elric on October 11, 2021, 08:59:55 pmHonestly if its the same serial, it would more be tracking to make sure you load the right save. This is the reason that we gave TLW2.x its own serial number, but when it comes to PSP Popsloader is unfortunately a finicky bitch :/
Ah, the serial is tied to the memory card saves.

7anjabil

Quote from: Elric on October 04, 2021, 04:27:16 amI should also be noted that while I do not have a vita, I know there are issues converting a psx2psp if the serial is not known by popsloader on a normal PSP (I know nothing about Vita emulation or PS1 games on vita). Normally from FFT, you'd see SLUS_942.21, but because of the types of changes TLW 2.x makes, it was necessary to separate it from vanilla saves (and to avoid confusion and bugs during said confusion), so in this case, we use TLW2_942.21. The rom is updated during creation by a xml made by Cerabow which can be found in the resources.  If the issue with vita is similar in this regard. You could just omit that ASM when building TLW via the provided resources, and you should be good to go. Just make sure not to load any vanilla saves lol

Can I just say I searched this forum a lot before deciding to post this. This has been the most helpful post by far, but just to say for the benefit of others who want to get this mod working on their Vita, the XML Elric is talking about is TLWotL  Serial.xml in the resources folder: 6. TLWotL ASM (Patch Last)\ASM (FFTP .495 B1)\XmlPatches\PSX

In the end, I wasn't able to understand how to build my own PPF with this XML excluded - and I'm a pretty technical guy - and got it working by patching the ISO, then converting to .CHD with CHDMAN (this version has the ISO to CHD script, just place ISO in the folder and run the batch file) and running in RetroArch.

If there's a more baby-steps guide to building a PPF from the resources (not the main post with the resources zip file, tried that), please point me to it.

Although even if I can't run this in Adrenaline, it's probably better in RetroArch as you have native fast-forward controls (if you like that sort of thing), and can extend the display to cover the whole Vita screen - and it looks fantastic:

+ more

I guess you also avoid any potential POPSLoader issues. FYI, Vita uses a custom POPSLoader for technical reasons.

Elric thanks for all the work with this mod, which seems to have everything. Looking forward to finally playing FFT again after 20 years. Get yourself a Vita, you won't regret it!

3lric

Quote from: 7anjabil on October 29, 2022, 11:51:07 amCan I just say I searched this forum a lot before deciding to post this. This has been the most helpful post by far, but just to say for the benefit of others who want to get this mod working on their Vita, the XML Elric is talking about is TLWotL  Serial.xml in the resources folder: 6. TLWotL ASM (Patch Last)\ASM (FFTP .495 B1)\XmlPatches\PSX

In the end, I wasn't able to understand how to build my own PPF with this XML excluded - and I'm a pretty technical guy - and got it working by patching the ISO, then converting to .CHD with CHDMAN (this version has the ISO to CHD script, just place ISO in the folder and run the batch file) and running in RetroArch.

If there's a more baby-steps guide to building a PPF from the resources (not the main post with the resources zip file, tried that), please point me to it.

Although even if I can't run this in Adrenaline, it's probably better in RetroArch as you have native fast-forward controls (if you like that sort of thing), and can extend the display to cover the whole Vita screen - and it looks fantastic:

+ more

I guess you also avoid any potential POPSLoader issues. FYI, Vita uses a custom POPSLoader for technical reasons.

Elric thanks for all the work with this mod, which seems to have everything. Looking forward to finally playing FFT again after 20 years. Get yourself a Vita, you won't regret it!

Glad you got it sorted. To build without it you'd just use the resources from the resources thread and on the last step when patching the ASMs, youd just not tick the box for that specific ASM hack.

CieloGT

Quote from: 7anjabil on October 29, 2022, 11:51:07 amCan I just say I searched this forum a lot before deciding to post this. This has been the most helpful post by far, but just to say for the benefit of others who want to get this mod working on their Vita, the XML Elric is talking about is TLWotL  Serial.xml in the resources folder: 6. TLWotL ASM (Patch Last)\ASM (FFTP .495 B1)\XmlPatches\PSX

+ more

Hi! Been lurking this website precisely for this mod for my vita, but haven't had the chance to go about and work on it since med school is such a bitch. Do forgive me if this may come off as stupid but I assume you did some added steps to add WotL movies to your iso file. You mentioned that you basically gave up doing your own patch so I initially assumed you just applied the patch then called it a day. How did you go on to add the movies and did playing this with retroarch prove to be smooth and seamless?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

3lric

Quote from: CieloGT on November 08, 2022, 10:17:53 amHi! Been lurking this website precisely for this mod for my vita, but haven't had the chance to go about and work on it since med school is such a bitch. Do forgive me if this may come off as stupid but I assume you did some added steps to add WotL movies to your iso file. You mentioned that you basically gave up doing your own patch so I initially assumed you just applied the patch then called it a day. How did you go on to add the movies and did playing this with retroarch prove to be smooth and seamless?

It is only the intro and opening movies and the link for the ppf to patch them is in the readme

CieloGT

Quote from: Elric on November 08, 2022, 05:19:43 pmIt is only the intro and opening movies and the link for the ppf to patch them is in the readme

I see so it was only a matter of starting on it. Thank you for making instructions so streamlined. Kudos!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Movich

Hello, thankyou very much for the info. I had the same issue but what worked for me was using another program to compress the ISO to PBP. Zinga Popstation worked fine for me.

I have one question, when I run the game it works fine, but I donĀ“t get the "OF THE LIONS" red letters in the title, I only see the The Lion War undertitle. Is my version ok ? Is the red title another mod ? Thnks for reading !
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown