• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 10:25:21 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Too many races!!

Started by Vanya, July 07, 2008, 11:55:00 pm

Vanya

July 07, 2008, 11:55:00 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Is it just me or has SE gone a little overboard with the number races in the world of Ivalice? I mean they had Hume, Viera, Bangaa, Moogle(ish), & Nu Mou already. They added like 7 more in FFXII. And then added the Aegyl and Feol-viera. OK now in FFTA2 they feel the need to have a winged-race for some tactical variety. What was the need to make another race? The Aegyl weren't good enough? What?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Argg0

July 08, 2008, 03:33:31 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Argg0
Those two races were add in FFXII:RW, not in FFTA2.

Cheetah

July 08, 2008, 03:39:57 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The races make for some interesting variety that I enjoyed in FFXII, but I'm not such a fan in FFTA&A2. Ultimately I like the mostly human thing a lot more for FFT. At least it isn't like a series standard across all the FF games and is just a part of the Ivalice Alliance (and only certain time periods at that). Plus Vera are awesome.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

July 08, 2008, 07:35:31 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
I like the variety of having multiple races, but I wish the number of jobs each race could have was more even (Humes have 13 possible jobs, Gria only 4), and I think the races ovelap a little too much in the jobs and abilitieis they can have. But overall I like it. It is a bit puzzling that they added the Gria when they already had the Aegyl, but I do like the Gria.

And yes, Viera elementalists rock. :)

Kourama

July 08, 2008, 08:04:16 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
FFXI also has races, as well as the Crystal Chronical games on the Nintendo systems. Sure those two games are different worlds than the one in Ivalice but I think its a bit much already.

Sen

July 08, 2008, 08:06:50 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
Aegyl's has a lifespan of only  40 years lol
that's why they weren't included

Vanya

July 08, 2008, 11:26:52 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
FFIX was probably the worst one with like a billion different beast-man races.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

July 08, 2008, 12:31:16 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I'm not a fan of the ton-o-species Ivalice either.  I enjoy the WotL universe where Humes are the only civilized race.  In my mind, I like to consider the Ivalice of FFT:WotL and Vagrant Story seperate from the Ivalice of FFXII, FFTA, and FFTA2.  I justify myself by saying that one is the "real" Ivalice, and the other is the Ivalice created in FFTA.

Zozma

July 30, 2008, 02:27:36 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i donno what happened between the time ramza existed, up untill ffxii but i dont like the races either... one or two here and there but it seemed like 1 in 3 characters wasn't human. thats too much for me, its like watching a sci fi series like stargate or something
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

LastingDawn

July 30, 2008, 08:23:29 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Some have surmised that FF12 takes place before FFT, at least 1800 years. There are also others that say that the Great Cataclysm which wiped out the other races was Altima's Retribution which occured when Ajora was executed. Though Human's as well refer to the time before Ajora as a Golden Age. So it's hard to say...
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Nagafen

July 30, 2008, 09:31:40 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Hmmm.. well, their's of course the theory that Goug Machine City was built by Moogle's, plus the fact that in the manual for FFXII, it mentions "In a time when airships plied the skies"... also, you have to consider that the Occuria/Eternal aren't mentioned at all in FFT, and they are considered Ivalice's gods in FFXII. So their is a possibility that FFT is set after (way after) FFXII.

Regardless of the History (as inticing as it is) I love the number of races in FFTXII/FFXII:RW/FFTA/FFTA2, my favourite being the Aeyrl (For their Dragoon Like qualitys. So I personally like the variety of races (Though that's personally down to two of the four, FFXII:RW and FFTA2.) Which reminds me.. just out of interest...

How many people would like to see versions of this races appear as monsters in FFT? Just a thought. Could try and make some SPR files...

And by the by... if FFTA is a seperate Ivalice, how come Vann and Penelo appear in FFTA2? But to be fair, in FFTA, it is a Ivalice that is fabricated, created entirely from Imagination... And if your being really picky.. Isb't it fair that FFT:WOTL is part of the Ivalice Alliance, whereas FFT itself is different in many ways, so FFT:WOTL belongs to the FFTA, FFXII multirace future/past? So FFT and Vagrant Story belong in their own seperate universe..?

If anyone takes this into consideration, thanks for listening.

And to be fair, the only FFT game that we know for sure that exists in a different universe is FFTA, simply because it has been said time and time again...

Vanya

July 30, 2008, 11:05:21 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I believe that officially FFTA is the only one that takes place in another realty. However it has been speculated that the *real* world in FFTA is, in fact, the real Ivalice far in the future. Also, I think it was officially established that FFXII is the far past of FFT & is the same place that Luso ventures to in FTA2. So the order of the games is something like this:

PAST

FFXII
FFXII:RW
FFTA2
FFT:WotL (FFT & FFT:WotL are the same story/setting)
VS
FFTA(*real world*; the Ivalice here is a fabricated realty)
FFTA2(*real world*; notice the name of the Librarian in Luso's school.)

FUTURE
¯\(°_0)/¯

Nagafen

July 30, 2008, 11:23:17 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Ah.. but I also have a theory. Well, if FFTA's Ivalice is fabricated... let's just say that FFTA's Ivalice, while not remaining in place over FFTA's Future "St.Ivalice"... maybe by crafting A "Ivalice" using the Grimore, this Ivalice that is created... is Ivalice in the past. Paradoxical? Yes. Because this means that Marche created Ivalice in the future, leading to it's distant past. This would explain why all the races came first, plus why their are no real "Gods" of Ivalice. Because Ivalice was created not by "Gods"... but by a young boy in the distant future. So, in essence, Ivalice needs Marche of the future to "create" it's past.

Like I said, it's just a theory, but this is just a Paradox creating a ccircle required for existence.

Vanya

July 30, 2008, 12:24:57 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That's a good theory. But, don't forget the really screwed up part of the story. The fabricated *past* Ivalice is largely based on the kids' memories of a video game they played called "Final Fantasy"! How's that for a mind-fuck?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Nagafen

July 30, 2008, 01:07:05 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Ah.. so that would mean that the Ivalice that is created in the Ivalice Alliance series is down to the Final Fantasy Series (Because bear in mind that Marche, if it had been FFXII onward that he played, would recognize the Bangaa's at the beggining of FFTA as Bangaa's and also known (as has been illustrated in the games) they don't like being called Lizards.

Vanya

July 30, 2008, 02:59:59 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Well, yeah. The game Marche plays is a fictional one not related to ours.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Nagafen

July 30, 2008, 03:04:30 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Wonder what their Final Fantasy's are like, seeing as how their Final Fantasy's used to be real...

Zozma

July 30, 2008, 04:03:58 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
sigh... i suppose from the point the made ffta and onward they will always have all those races (as i said like some sci fi where the planet is a rest stop for a bunch of different aliens or something)... unless they make an fft with the first arrival of st ajora

Nagafen

July 30, 2008, 04:26:33 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Yeah.. do you like any of the races?

Zozma

July 30, 2008, 04:32:29 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i like humans as the dominant race, i don't mind like 1 or 2 moogles
and some other stuff (for a tactics rpg) but not having to be a moogle or a bangaa or something just to get some of the jobs.

the only unfortunate thing about the moogles is that theyve started to look like freaky rabbits more than the catlike creatures of the earlier ff games like 6. well i really dont mind other races, just only in very sall doses.