• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:22:42 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Humanoid Classes/Abilities in ASMd

Started by philsov, April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pm

The Damned

Hunh. I was wondering what the Ability Hack in the other thread was.

That seems...quite interesting, yet the same time it seems like it could easily screw over the AI, especially since Zodiac said there was still work to be done. Still...this at least solves the Archer problem if nothing else.

I'm not too crazy to tying it to the weaker RSMs even without the AI concerns if only because there's not nearly as much ability space to merit as one would think, especially since I would say that it would take at least 4 abilities to "validate" the use for every abilitiy if not more than 4. Even then, doing for every crappy RSM (Gilgame Heart, Any Weather, Distribute readily come to mind and they are hardly the only ones) would seriously cut down on abilities available to be generally abused, especially since abilities tend to get outdated as it is, at least along the mage path. I could maybe doing "quirky" things with status, like recreating "Sight Unseeing" and things like that, and restricting weapon and armor class for some abilities--hell, I could even see restricting all magic to not able to be used with heavy armor just because Equip Armor so's readily abusable. But the RSM thing just seems like it be too complex and too much of a problem, at least as a starting point.

Speaking of status as a trigger, would this include the status of the target? Because I'm quite tired of having to use the Death formula to trigger something.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I guess if my Internet is still up after Friday, I can finally get around to testing things.

Hmmm...I have to wonder if this might allow for...well that's an entirely different discussion.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

Quotewould this include the status of the target?

Not as far as I can see.  Only the user.  

Really the scope of this sort of tool is awesome in a hands of a brand new hack featuring stuff like a Weapon Master or Channeler, who have a very large ability pool but can only use a select few based on their current equipment/status.  Keeping stuff in the context of the current class system will be a bit tricky, in terms of being placed in the proper skillsets -- like as much as I'd love to have a Genji-only draw out, I can;t just add in another katana and draw out skill (or can I!?!); the same goes for the water movements on both samurai and ninja, and lava on geomancers -- their skillsets are rather locked down, so its RSM shuffle to gain those abilities as well.  

As for tying abilities to pre-req RSM, its currently no big deal as there's still 9-ish free ability slots, so alloting a few to this end is no big deal.  Making a class-only ability would be rather cool, but that also requiires 20 free slots.

QuoteStill...this at least solves the Archer problem if nothing else.

What archer problem? O.o
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

SilvasRuin

Quotelike as much as I'd love to have a Genji-only draw out, I can;t just add in another katana and draw out skill (or can I!?!)
Considering the Masamune is traditionally supposed to be a part of the Genji set, why not just use its draw out?

Dokurider

Tie the higher Drawouts (Masamune, Chirijiraden) to their respective katanas. Or katanas in general.

The Damned

Quote from: "philsov"
Quotewould this include the status of the target?

Not as far as I can see.  Only the user.

I see. Well, there goes Hastebreak, but I haven't actually worked my hack in 3 weeks, so maybe this will be the fire under my ass or whatever.

QuoteStill...this at least solves the Archer problem if nothing else.

What archer problem? O.o

Personally I would only want most Archery techniques to be usable by an Archer, but I'm not sure if you wanted that. I thought you did, but I may just be projecting.

That said, it would at least take care of people spamming Poison Volley, but IIRC, I believe you said you were going to nerf that or something.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

You're just projecting :).  I -can- flag a lot of these moves as longbow/xbow only, but I'd rather not.  The only skill I am planning to do so with is the new "fire arrow", which is just like it sounds -- its a basic weapon strike that's fire elemental.  Faboo when used with Oil Bomb though.  

The real nice thing about this tool is that it opens up the otherwise forbidden 01/02/05/etc formulas that did dmg:weapon because they can all be flagged to be specific weapon only, or at the very least "no guns" to bypass that stacking wp*wp damage bug.  So, now I've procured a new ability for archer and knight, and then 4 for Squire/Basic Skill -- all of which are weapon tied.  So... looks like Squire might finally be getting equip change innate (rejoice raven!).  Throw in a new critical only-move for thief and worthless-reaction-only move for monk... and I'm down to 3 ability slots left!  I'll probably save them for bosses~

The Damned

I just realized: This hack makes the Requires Sword and Requires Materia Blade booleans worthless, doesn't it?

This seems to solve that Knight weapon problem I was going to encounter, though.

philsov

There is no knockback flag for me to make them immune to, sadly.

philsov

OK... new R/S/M to toy with:

Reaction - Awareness - Enables full evasion from all sides - basically, that unit is always directly facing their attacker
Support - Amplify - Unit deals and receives 20% more damage and healing
Support - Insulate - Unit deals and received 20% less damage and healing
Movement - Flee - Unit gains +4 movement while in the critical status

Thinking:

Awareness - Knight
Amplify - Lancer
Insulate - Oracle (I think there's RSM space there?)
Flee - Bard + Dancer

Atma

so i've looked for how to edit R/S/M abilities, but i haven't found much on it.  how do u go about modifying them?  i could change all the abilities to try and make each Job feel different, but the R/S/M abilities can make a Job a lot more unique than any of the other abilities.  if there's a topic on how to edit them, just a link would do.  i don't want to have u writing an explanation if one already exists elsewhere.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

philsov

They're not freely editable like stuff in fftpatcher, at least.  The four above are created from existing blank slots by FFMaster, using ASM and notably this tutorial:

http://ffhacktics.com/tutorials.php?id=11

philsov

OP updated with rough generic skillset outline, and I updated the Job Requirement spoiler to include a bitching tree picture that I still need to touch up because some of the colors scrambled =\

Scearcely

first post, please be kind...

been following your progress closer than most philsov since you decided to remove my second most hated skillset(charge) which strangely many others seem to think is salvageable*  it's too bad about jump  :cry:

few comments/questions on ability plans:
haven't played your demo so i apologize if some of these are answered in there

----innate weapon guard/abandon removal. 

these mean that all reaction abilities are modified by brave and in all situations high brave > low brave with the sole exclusion of move-find item

everywhere I've looked brave/faith modifying are looked on as either taking unfair advantage of mechanics or full on cheating, but the conditions you've instituted encourage it to a very high level... intentional?

I'm not sure what all is possible yet, but have you considered making some reactions (100-brave)% chance of working?  my thoughts were the more defensive reactions(getting hit helps you: xxx-save, regenerator, crit-quick) being based off cowardice, and the offensive ones(getting hit hurts foe: counter flood/tackle, damage split, meatbone) basing off bravery.

squire-
everyone getting wish/cheer up or just ramza?  if just ramza, remember to add vertical 1 to it, its nigh useless without.

chemist-
fine, like the new items except shades of grey(just that i won't use it, not that its a bad idea), prices/availability will determine usefulness.  item is already a strong skillset just based off phoenix down

knight-
possible/planned to make shatter only damage if those statuses are present?  33% is a LOT otherwise

archer-
  :D charge is gone! :mrgreen:
snipe gets my vote for the killshot move's name

priest-
fine, remember there needs to be a reason to use pro/shell 2, smart targeting OR effect range increase get my vote

wizard-
are the differences between the nukes going to be so pronounced that you'd cast bolt on an ice-weak foe?
double magic is gonna be fun to play with.

monk-
are you planning on re-doing damage formulas for punch arts? without martial arts boost they tend to be incredibly weak( 10 hp chakra and 2 dmg wave fist weak)

really I'm against removing innate martial arts altogether, the martial arts/attack up martial arts/equip armor combos(what I'm assuming you're trying to avoid) are really the main reasons to be a main class monk considering the massive penalties you take from having to keep both hand slots free(shields, elemental weapons, weapon guard)

lancer-
:cry: :cry: :cry:

thief-
fine

Blue mage-
will need to play it

oracle-
love quell, nice to have a "oh god that mage WILL kill ramza next turn" move
dislike loss of foxbird,  enemy brave lowering is actually quite underrated even beyond the "chicken" status(easiest way to kill a blade grasp/autopotion foe, kill his brave til the reaction stops mattering)

mediator-
assuming my comments about reactions are not possible/desired, would like the brave- skills to be stronger.  really I wish there were statuses comparative to faith/innocent for brave.

geomancer-
not sure what you mean:
QuoteElementals - 3-way split between:

[(PA + 4) / 2] * MA
[(MA + 4) / 2] * MA
[(PA + 4) / 2] * PA

if you're asking for our opinions, "[(PA + 4) / 2] * MA" gets my vote
if you're saying each move will fall in one of those categories, I just hope you remember how rare certain elementals are(1 map in game for lava ball, really square?)

samurai-
blade grasp is overpowered with brave modifying enabled , nix it for players unless you can nerf it considerably frontal only, edge weapon only, reduced boost-25% of brave added, not sure how but it's incredibly powerful as is

ninja-
if two swords is unlearnable, not too sure about the need to cripple ninja PA, just take them off flails.  daggers/ninja swords are weak enough that just a slight-moderate PA loss should be sufficient.  put them on par with chemist before equipping attack up

berserker-
have to play it

performer-
fine

time mage-
expire requires death sentence right? then fine

summoner-
not to keen on dumb targeting summons(always seems to me that that is summoners #1 calling card, all smart targets) but i can adjust, leave them in.
recommend changing move-mp+ from wizard to here or blue mage,  little too powerful to be a starter class ability and move-hp+ is on a secondary(monk)

all in all, very much looking forward to your patch(though really just the archer changes with some ASM's would get that response from me) keep up the good work.

*charge(like jump) should have had 3 charges, a quick-weak, a moderate speed/dmg, and a slow-powerful and then some utility.  8? different charges was a huge waste.

The Damned

Thanks for getting on this so quickly, philsov. I was meaning to post as soon as I saw it, but I've been kind of busy the past ten hours.

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pm- All generic classes gain a "starter" skill or two, a 0 JP ability to freely purchase and use as soon as the class becomes available.

Would you mind terribly telling us what the particular skills are per class? Or have you not entirely decided yet?

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmSquire:
Accumulate - +1 PA
Throw Stone - light damage with knockback
Heal - heals about half of what esuna does
Yell - single target Haste, self-immune
Cheer Up - single target regen
Wish - instant 1 range Revival
Pierce - sword - double panel strike
Cleave - axe - attempts to take off a large amount of the targets HP
Acupuncture - xbow - healing weapon strike
Flailing Flail - flail - allows for a doublestrike proc
Throat Slit - dagger - attempts to inflict Death
~
Awareness (always use Front evasion)
Equip Meleeset (equip swords, axes, flails)
Defend
Flee - when critical, gains 4 movement

I don't particularly like Throat Slit, though I understand why it's there. Aside from that, the only other ability I have questions about is Cleave and that's mostly if it's taken a hit to its damage--IIRC, it was supposed to do 75%, right?

I have to thank you for making Yell self-immune. Talk Skill-esque skills being able to hit the user, aside from Mimic Daravon, bug the hell out of me; stupid 1.3 Preach.

I find it a bit odd that Squire gets Flee, but I think I understand why giving what an appealing skill it is.

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmChemist
Potion - 30 HP
Hi-Potion - 60 HP
X-Potion - 100 HP
Ultra Potion - 200 HP (auto-potion immune)
Ether - 20 MP
Hi Ether - 50 MP
X Ether - ?80? MP
Turtle Shell - adds Protect and Slow
Dual Kiss - adds Haste and Poison
Shades of Grey - adds either Innocent or Faith
Holy Water - cleanses stuff
Remedy - cleanses more stuff
Exilir - Max HP/MP
~
Auto-Potion
Maintenance
Equip Change
Move Find Item

Not too thrilled about you keeping Elixirs around, but otherwise I agree with your items and I think we did much of the same thing outside of Shades of Grey and Turtle Shell, though the latter was the same until just yesterday. As such, I would say that 80 MP for X-Ether seems like it's reasonable. I can't imagine that you'd want to hit 100 or anything as potentially ridiculous as that, but then again I'm not really sure myself, so....

Would you mind telling us what "stuff" Remedy and Holy Water cure?

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pm
Knight
Power Ruin - 3 range, -3 PA
Mind Ruin - 3 range, -3 MA
Speed Ruin - 3 range, Slow
Magic Ruin - 3 range, MP damage
Weapon break
Head break
armor break
shield break
Shatter - cancels Defending, Protect, and/or Shell and inflicts 33% Max HP damage
Champion - Knight Sword only - HP draining weapon strike
~
Auto Protect
Counter
Equip Armor
Equip Shield

Well have to see how Champion goes. Otherwise, given that my Debarrier is basically the same as your Shatter, I'm guess it uses the Death formula? Are you comfortable with it always healing Undead?

Does Magic Ruin still do 50% MP "damage"?

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmArcher
Leg Up - Self-only Float
Execute/Snipe - Deals 21% HP damage to critical units
Sticky Bomb - 3 range 1 AoE 0 vert tol - inflicts either Oil or Don't Move onto targets
Poison Bomb - 3 range 1 AoE 1 vert told - inflicts Poison
Aim - Unevadeable but weaker weapon strike
Impact - Stronger weapon strike with 100% Silence infliction
Fire Arrow - Fire-elemental weapon strike with a 25% chance to proc Fire2
Salve - cleanses some status on a single target and heals for 20% HP on doing so
~
Arrow Guard
Meatbone Slash
Equip Bows
Concentrate
Jump +1

I like Sticky Bomb. I'm not sure what formula you're using for Fire Arrow, to be honest.

And, seriously, just call Execute "Snipe" or just something other than Execute if it can be used with a distance weapon. There's probably a better word than either of those for all weapons; Execute just really bugs me for some reason, at least when arrows are involved....

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmPriest
Cure 1
Cure 2
Cure 3
Solace - Instant single target heal
Raise
Raise2
Reraise
Regen
Protect
Protect2
Shell
Shell2
Wall
Esuna
Holy
~
Auto Shell
Regenerator
Magic Def Up

Not sure how I feel about Solace or any of the other O CTR abilities to be sure. Not much else to say.

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmWizard

Fire
Fire2
Fire3
Blaze - instant single fire
Bolt
Bolt2
Bolt3
Jolt - see blaze
Ice
Ice2
Ice3
Freeze - see jolt
Virus - non-elemental tier 2 damage with a poison proc
Frog
Death
Flare
~
Double Magic (Counter Magic, but it got expanded to include beneficial spells as well)
Magic Attack Up
Move MP Up

I don't really like the idea of Double Magic, to be honest, especially with Move MP Up. It's basically giving you a more controllable (magic) Mime. What "beneficial" spells are we talking about here?

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmMonk - notably lose innate Martial Arts
Spin Fist
Repeating Fist (1.3 version)
Wave Fist
Earth Slash
Secret Fist
Stigma Magic
Chakra
Revive
~
Condemn (counter secret fist)
Brave Up
Martial Arts
Move HP Up

I'm guessing Monks PA has been buffed if they're losing innate Martial Arts? I find it rather odd that they're losing innate Martial Arts but Martial Arts is still available to generics.

Lancer
Jump.  /cry
~
Dragon Spirit
Equip Polearms
Ignore Height

Jump isn't bad, especially since we can't replicate it outside of the skill set unlike Charge. Sigh. If only....

Thief
Steal Sanity - 3 range, inflicts Confusion on target
Steal Heart - 3 range, inflicts charm
Last Laugh - Critical only - inflicts Poison, Silence, and Blind onto single target
Steal armor
steal shield
steal weapon
steal acc
steal helmet
~
Speed Save
Equip Clothes
Secret Hunt
Move +1
Jump +2

Still not sure how I feel about Last Laugh or Equip Clothes, but we'll see.

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmBlue Mage - Damage Split and Def Up notably increased in JP because what else are you gonna spend JP on?
Choco Cure
Goblin Punch
Eruption
Blaster
Throw Spirit
Drain Touch
Leaf Dance
Doom
Sudden Cry
Necrotic Touch
Wave Around
Ice Breath
Bio3 - Queklain
Quake - Fury 1 (special enemy of Yuguo)
Melt - Fury 2 (special enemy of Poeskas)
Tornado - Fury 3 (special enemy of Poeskas)
~
Damage Split
Distribute
Gained Exp Up
Def Up
Move Get Exp

I'm guessing Bio 3 can be obtained from more than just Queklain?

Oracle
Blind
Spell Absorb
Life Drain
Pray Faith
Doubt Faith
Zombie
Silence Song
Blind Rage
Quell - 0 CTR ability, cancels charging
Countdown - Death Sentence
Confusion Song
Dispel Magic
Paralyze
Sleep
Petrify
~
Absorb Used MP
Faith Up
Equip Polearms
Equip Mageset
Any Weather

Again, not really sure about Quell, especially given its instant Speed.

Outside of that, Countdown seems like it'd be better if Time Mages had it, but that's probably just because of Expire and it being on my Time Mage, though there is the fact that Petrify is basically instant Death anyway....

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmMediator
Invite
Persuade - CT 00 with moderate success rate
Praise - +10 Br
Dissuage - -10 Br
Enlighten - +10 Fa
Dishearten - -10 Fa
Insult - Berserk
Mimic Daravon - Sleep
Refute - cancels all status on target
Preach - reraise
Warn - defending (with AoE)
Threaten - Don't Act
~
Finger Guard
Equip Gun
Train
Monster Talk

Kind of surprised you went with both 1.3 skills and keeping both Invite and Persuade.

Geomancer:

Elementals - 3-way split between:

[(PA + 4) / 2] * MA
[(MA + 4) / 2] * MA
[(PA + 4) / 2] * PA
~
Counter Flood
Insulate (20% less damage/healing in/out)
Amplify (20% more damage/healing in/out)
Move on Lava
Any Ground

Haven't decided on which ones are going to be which yet?

Samurai:
Asura - 2 range tri-directional hitting both enemies and allies.  Dispel Magic proc
Koutetsu - 5 range linear damage, hitting both.  Silence proc
Bizen Boat - 2 range full self AoEl MP damage, hitting both
Murasame - 1 range self AoE healing, smart targetting
Heavens Cloud - 2 range full self AoE damage, infinite vert tol, slow proc
Kiyomori - 2 range self AoE protect or shell, smart targetting
Muramasa - 2 range tri-directional hitting both.  no proc, higher damage
Kikuichimoji - 5 range linear hitting both, no proc, higher damage
Masamune - 2 range full self AoE haste or regen, smart targetting
Chiri - 2 range full AoE damage, no proc
~
HP Restore
Blade Grasp (possibly)
Two Hands (getting nerfed to ~50% boost)
Move In Water

Oh, so this is the one class that has tri-directional attacks (besides Blue Mage). I should have figured.

Outside of that, I suppose I have to thank you for nerfing the damage from Two Hands. I do, however, have to ask you why the hell you would bring Blade Grasp back. What would it be nerfed too?

Ninja - has pathetic PA, but innate Two Swords (two swords is not available for purchase!)
Throw stuff
~
Catch
Abandon (possibly, ASM is present to make it a 50% boost instead of 100%, need to run numbers)
Attack Up
Walk on Water

Nothing to say here, really.

Berserker - Female Only
Berserk - self-only berserk, haste, regen, and defending
Takedown - melee-range single target attack with recoil damage
Cripple - PA+60% chance to inflict either Don't Move or Don't Act onto the target
Shove - Deals light-medium damage and forces target back a space
Ground-Shaker - Self AoE of 2 dealing earth damage to everything in range (mimic titan for humans)
Howl - Self AoE of 1 that Stops all affected targets, high success rate
Frenzy - Persevering melee-range attack
Heartbreaker - 3 range single target attack that inflicts a negative status onto males.
~
MA Save
PA Save
Focus - 25% boost to all % abilities (40% becomes 50%)
Move +2
Jump +3

Not sure how I feel about Focus. Everything else seems okay (and I'm not just saying that because, besides Heartbreaker, these are my ideas), though I'd have to say that Jump +3 is pretty pointless when Lancer has Ignore Height.

Performer - Male only.  All song/dance are self-AoE of 6 atm instead of fullmap.  Lost Last Dance because CT00 are the evil.
Life Song
Angel Song
War Song
Magic Song
Nameless Song
Last Song
Wiznaibus
Witch Hunt
Disillusion
Polka Polka
Nameless Dance
~
MA Save
PA Save
Focus - 25% boost to all % abilities (40% becomes 50%)
Move +2
Jump +3

See above.

Time Mage
Haste
Haste2
Slow
Slow2
Stop
Don't Move
Float
Reflect
Quick
Demi (1 AoE, 33% HP damage)
Demi2 (0 AoE, 67% HP damage)
Expire (cancels Death Sentence, inflicts 100% HP damage)
Comet (0 CTR single target damage)
Meteor
~
Critical Quick
Short Charge
Float
Fly

Not sure how I feel about Time Mages keeping Meteor, but otherwise it's okay. Nice to see they got Fly since it makes sense, even if it's something that would go equally well on Blue Mage (if you got them later).

Quote from: philsov on April 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pmSummoner
Moogle - AoE healing, smart
Fairy - AoE Rezzing at 33% HP, smart
Silf - 0 CTR, single target, seperately inflicts Poison, Don't Move
Carbunkle - 3 range 2 AoE smart targetting Reflect

Shiva - 3 range, 3 directions, smart targeting
Ramuh - 5 range linear, smart targetting
Ifrit - 3 range 2 AoE, dumb targetting
Titan - 3 range 2 AoE, smart targetting (more MP than ifrit)

Odin - 3 range 3 direction smart
Leviathan - 5 range linear smart
Salamander - 3 range 2 AoE dumb
Bahamut - 3 range 2 AoE smart (more MP than salamander)

Lich - 3 range 2 AoE 40% HP damage smart
Cyclops - 3 range 2 AoE straight damage, dumb (a little stronger than salamander)
Zodiac - 4 range 2 AoE straight damage, smart (certainly stronger than cyclops)
~
MP Restore - restores MP each hit.  No critical necessary
Half MP

I have to that I don't like there are "dumb" targeting spells, though I'd probably be able to stand a bit more if BOTH Fire weren't "dumb". Otherwise, meh. I'll have to see how the tri-directional thing works before I comment on it further.

QuoteMime - Innate Concentrate, Monster Talk, Counter, Double Magic

Like Monks, I'm guessing Mimes have gotten more PA to compensate for Martial Arts, yes? Otherwise, I can get behind these innates (though I'd rather Double Magic just be plain old Counter Magic).

pokeytax

If I fiddled around with the Jump skillset a bit in ASM, is that something that would get used? Don't expect usable action abilities or anything, but since the baseline is so awful I figure even just having more varied augments for Jump would be worthwhile. (I was thinking stuff like 100% hit rate, 3/2 spear damage, 4/3 other weapon damage, Cancel:Charging, Performing, maybe even a permanent +1 Jump passive... I'm sure there are better ideas.)
  • Modding version: PSX

philsov

Quoteis that something that would get used?

Certainly.  Currently there's an ASM hack in place that makes the modifier 3/2 regardless of weapon but 3/2 for spear and 4/3 for everything else is a much much better solution.  Cancel - charging/performing is a boon as well (moreso performing), and baseline +1 Jump would be even better.  Just about anything is welcome at this point.  

Hm... don't think any additional cancels would be worthwhile, +1 Jump is the right level of perk, multipliers are good...

Is there a way to give it a set CTR (perhaps 6?), provided it's short charge immune?

@Others -- I'll reply later <3

philsov

January 23, 2011, 06:15:43 pm #98 Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:16:17 pm by philsov
Quotefirst post, please be kind...

WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

Quoteit's too bad about jump

Not really.  We can give them a normal skillset (same as ninja and others), but Jump is too unique to be let go so capriciously imo.  The character in midair and out of battle for X ticks is something we cannot replicate.  It sucks that its a bit bland in that it's basically a single command and lacks any matter of versatility while barely being worthwhile enough to justify its use in general, but that's the reality.  Charge, on the other hand, was not worthwhile enough so it met the jackboot.

Quotethese mean that all reaction abilities are modified by brave and in all situations high brave > low brave with the sole exclusion of move-find item

Correct.  But even if weapon guard and abandon were around, there still isn't a single situation (reaction, rather) that's better at low Br than high Br.  Which leads us to...

Quotebut have you considered making some reactions (100-brave)% chance of working?

Honestly?  No, the thought never crossed my mind.  It'd certainly be a twist though.  There are mechanics to change the reaction trigger like, say, CT%, where you had for example just acted, you're not ready to act again and thus have horrible odds while if you're attacked just before your turn you're prime and ready to go, but all those seemed either too random or in the case of other triggers, like HP out of some constant, poor scalers.

Quotesquire-
everyone getting wish/cheer up or just ramza?

Everyone.  Wish certainly has some vert tol (I think 3?) to help distinguish it from monk's revive (0).  In fact, Ramza isn't even getting Wish or Yell but an upgraded version, also shared by Algus and Weigraf (!)

QuoteI don't particularly like Throat Slit, though I understand why it's there. Aside from that, the only other ability I have questions about is Cleave and that's mostly if it's taken a hit to its damage--IIRC, it was supposed to do 75%, right?  I have to thank you for making Yell self-immune. Talk Skill-esque skills being able to hit the user, aside from Mimic Daravon, bug the hell out of me; stupid 1.3 Preach.  I find it a bit odd that Squire gets Flee, but I think I understand why giving what an appealing skill it is.

Yeah... I wanted some Dagger-exclusive move.  Throat slit seemed to work, but I'm open to other thoughts if they occur.  Regarding cleave, yes, currently it's 75% with ~50% success rate, but suppose it might be better tweaked to do less damage but is a touch more reliable?  Flee... is there because the current tier-1 movements were Jump +1, Move Find Item, and Move HP Up.  Move +1 is generally better than Flee, and so I wanted Flee available before Move +1 did.  

Quotechemist-
fine, like the new items except shades of grey(just that i won't use it, not that its a bad idea), prices/availability will determine usefulness.  item is already a strong skillset just based off phoenix down

Not too thrilled about you keeping Elixirs around, but otherwise I agree with your items and I think we did much of the same thing outside of Shades of Grey and Turtle Shell, though the latter was the same until just yesterday. As such, I would say that 80 MP for X-Ether seems like it's reasonable. I can't imagine that you'd want to hit 100 or anything as potentially ridiculous as that, but then again I'm not really sure myself, so....

Would you mind telling us what "stuff" Remedy and Holy Water cure?

Elixir won't be available via poaching, at least -- I'm torn between lategame random battle trophies or lategame storyline trophies (ie, finite versus farmable).  Shades of Grey is more a response to being able to inflict faith/innocent outside of the Oracle skillset, and since Item only really works as 100% infliction, I figure 50/50 shot is a lot better than blammo 100% Faith.

As for the cleanseables, it's pretty much identical to vanilla.  Holy Water is Petrify, Undead, Blood Suck, while Remedy is Petrify, Darkness, Confusion, Silence, Oil, Frog, Poison, Sleep.  

Oh!  Forgot to mention it.  On success with remedy/holy water the target is healed for randomly between 1 and 150 HP.  With the other two main cleansers being AoE I thought Item needed the perk.

Quoteknight-
possible/planned to make shatter only damage if those statuses are present?  33% is a LOT otherwise

Well have to see how Champion goes. Otherwise, given that my Debarrier is basically the same as your Shatter, I'm guess it uses the Death formula? Are you comfortable with it always healing Undead?

Does Magic Ruin still do 50% MP "damage"?

Yes, Shatter only works when the target has protect, shell, or is defending.  Otherwise it's 00% (think Raise, only... it's not).  Champion has a hefty MP cost attached to it.  I'm comfortable with it healing undead... its for the greater good imo.  And, yes, Magic Ruin is 50% MP damage.

QuoteHappy charge is gone! Mr. Green
snipe gets my vote for the killshot move's name

I like Sticky Bomb. I'm not sure what formula you're using for Fire Arrow, to be honest.

And, seriously, just call Execute "Snipe" or just something other than Execute if it can be used with a distance weapon. There's probably a better word than either of those for all weapons; Execute just really bugs me for some reason, at least when arrows are involved....

Heh.  Snipe it is then.  Fire Arrow uses formula 02 -- weapon strike with 25% spell cast.  There's a bug if this formula is used on someone rocking a gun, but ARH fixes this problem.

Quotepriest-
fine, remember there needs to be a reason to use pro/shell 2, smart targeting OR effect range increase get my vote

Not sure how I feel about Solace or any of the other O CTR abilities to be sure. Not much else to say.

The 2's are going to feature smart targetting and increased vert tol, for obviously more MP and increased CTR.

And solace is awesome!  I admit it cuts into Item's monopoly/niche, but that's also half of the point.

QuoteWizard-
are the differences between the nukes going to be so pronounced that you'd cast bolt on an ice-weak foe?
double magic is gonna be fun to play with.

I don't really like the idea of Double Magic, to be honest, especially with Move MP Up. It's basically giving you a more controllable (magic) Mime. What "beneficial" spells are we talking about here?

No, the differences are far more subtle (like <10% between the schools).  In general a wizard will still be able to plow through with a single school if so desired, but the changes will give him options should he have the choice available.  

And regarding beneficial spells, pretty much anything out of the Time and White magics (except Quick.) -- so stuff like cures and hastes assuming the reaction triggers and the wizard has sufficient MP.  Considering the current Counter Magic is used only in specific fights, this boon with beneficial spells should hopefully elevate it to a more general-usage reaction.

Quotemonk-
are you planning on re-doing damage formulas for punch arts? without martial arts boost they tend to be incredibly weak( 10 hp chakra and 2 dmg wave fist weak)

really I'm against removing innate martial arts altogether, the martial arts/attack up martial arts/equip armor combos(what I'm assuming you're trying to avoid) are really the main reasons to be a main class monk considering the massive penalties you take from having to keep both hand slots free(shields, elemental weapons, weapon guard)

I'm guessing Monks PA has been buffed if they're losing innate Martial Arts? I find it rather odd that they're losing innate Martial Arts but Martial Arts is still available to generics.

It's removed more to avoid endgame brokenness, since equipping martial arts prevents equipping two hands/attack up and 999'ing everything to death.  Many of the punch arts are seeing an increase in power to compensate, martial arts will be 0 JP on unlock, and Monks will have the single highest PA multiplier among the generics.  They'll still be rather lethal with martial arts equipped, but they will be squishier -- which is OK given their power and versatility.  

Quotelancer-
Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

Oh don't be so sad.  While airborne a unit's status don't tick off.  For example a lancer with haste will land with around 60CT (instead of 50CT), and his haste will last for 50% longer than anyone else's provided he's still midair.  THE MORE YOU KNOW.

thief-
fine

Still not sure how I feel about Last Laugh or Equip Clothes, but we'll see.

Well I wanted to expand their skillset for a little more status infliction instead of just pure thievery.  Last Laugh, as noted, is only usable when the unit is down into critical so it should be fine.  Equip Clothes imo is as well, if you think Equip Armor is okay.  It'll let the heavy armors downgrade their HP for some stats or elemental protection or something.  Twist Headband + Power Sleeve Lancers... what could possibly go wrong? >_>

QuoteBlue mage-
will need to play it

I'm guessing Bio 3 can be obtained from more than just Queklain?

Yes, Bio3 is available in a random battle in... Yuguo Woods and the Melt/Tornado/Quake folk are found in randoms of their original maps in case you miss them the first time around.

oracle-
love quell, nice to have a "oh god that mage WILL kill ramza next turn" move
dislike loss of foxbird,  enemy brave lowering is actually quite underrated even beyond the "chicken" status(easiest way to kill a blade grasp/autopotion foe, kill his brave til the reaction stops mattering)

Again, not really sure about Quell, especially given its instant Speed.

Outside of that, Countdown seems like it'd be better if Time Mages had it, but that's probably just because of Expire and it being on my Time Mage, though there is the fact that Petrify is basically instant Death anyway....

Well, silence song is already rather fast and AoE, but Quell is useful when even that small CTR is too large or the target is immune to silence.  Foxbird got nixed because of Zodiacs mostly because I want their reactions to come into play and disabling their reactions makes me a sad panda -- thus the only method for both CT00 and Br lowering are in Talk Skill, meaning I can just employ Finger Guard while keeping those functions present.  Countdown being in a separate skillset from Expire is quite intentional, but I suppose Petrify could get axed/moved?

Quotemediator-
assuming my comments about reactions are not possible/desired, would like the brave- skills to be stronger.  really I wish there were statuses comparative to faith/innocent for brave.

Kind of surprised you went with both 1.3 skills and keeping both Invite and Persuade.

Perhaps -15 for the lowerers?  I don't want to reach 20 because of random Brave units entering the battle with sub-50 brave and getting promptly Chickened.  At 15 that's minimum 3 actions to Chicken people which is much more acceptable.  

Besides, they lost... Negotiate (!) and Death Sentence.  Invite is quite powerful as both an opener or a catch-all Thievery tool, and with the ASM hack in place it's X + MA*2 instead of X+MA.  Persuade actually got a small coeffecient boost, too.  

Quotegeomancer-
not sure what you mean:

Haven't decided on which ones are going to be which yet?

Ah, I see I must clarify.  One third of the elemental abilities are going to be PA-based, one third will be MA-based, and the remaining third will be PA and MA based.  Don't worry, I did a decent spread - especially with the more common ones so each of these panels should be present on most maps.  The in-game text when you're clicking on terrain will denote what type it is so there's no need to have a notepad at your side :).  And the best part is that the AI is fully aware of this and will step onto the higher damaging panels to kill off people.  This is a perfect example of what this patch is trying to accomplish.  

Quotesamurai-
blade grasp is overpowered with brave modifying enabled , nix it for players unless you can nerf it considerably frontal only, edge weapon only, reduced boost-25% of brave added, not sure how but it's incredibly powerful as is

Oh, so this is the one class that has tri-directional attacks (besides Blue Mage). I should have figured.

Outside of that, I suppose I have to thank you for nerfing the damage from Two Hands. I do, however, have to ask you why the hell you would bring Blade Grasp back. What would it be nerfed too?

There's a hack available that makes it only work against sharp, 1-range weapons (ie, less than half of the weapon classes), which may just be enough.  Also summoner got some tri-directional loving too.

Quoteninja-
if two swords is unlearnable, not too sure about the need to cripple ninja PA, just take them off flails.  daggers/ninja swords are weak enough that just a slight-moderate PA loss should be sufficient.  put them on par with chemist before equipping attack up

Nothing to say here, really.

While its true that ninja weaponry is PA/Sp based and thus a bit weaker than the normal counterparts, a ninja with the Equip Meleeset or martial arts support still shouldn't be rocking absurd damage.  

Quoteberserker-
have to play it

Not sure how I feel about Focus. Everything else seems okay (and I'm not just saying that because, besides Heartbreaker, these are my ideas), though I'd have to say that Jump +3 is pretty pointless when Lancer has Ignore Height.

True about the jump thing.  I could just as well axe it and I don't think a single tear would be shed.  Focus has some nasty potential, but it's really no worse than two hands for fighters or Magic Attack Up for direct casters.  

Quotetime mage-
expire requires death sentence right? then fine

Not sure how I feel about Time Mages keeping Meteor, but otherwise it's okay. Nice to see they got Fly since it makes sense, even if it's something that would go equally well on Blue Mage (if you got them later).

Yes, expires requires death sentence status :p.  Meteor... has a nasty charge time and MP cost at least.

Quotesummoner-
not to keen on dumb targeting summons(always seems to me that that is summoners #1 calling card, all smart targets) but i can adjust, leave them in.
recommend changing move-mp+ from wizard to here or blue mage,  little too powerful to be a starter class ability and move-hp+ is on a secondary(monk)

I have to that I don't like there are "dumb" targeting spells, though I'd probably be able to stand a bit more if BOTH Fire weren't "dumb". Otherwise, meh. I'll have to see how the tri-directional thing works before I comment on it further.

With the changes to movement and range, I expect to see a lot more clustering occur, which would then just be free reign to summon everything into oblivion without recourse.  So... a lot of the summons went into linear or tri-directional while half of the standard AoE ones lost smart targetting to prevent being oh-so clever.  It seems a bit out of place, but the current options are flat out remove them and leave the standard AoE with smart targetting around and with a large MP cost to couple with it, or have them stay around in and useable as openers or attacking the fringe or something.  

QuoteLike Monks, I'm guessing Mimes have gotten more PA to compensate for Martial Arts, yes? Otherwise, I can get behind these innates (though I'd rather Double Magic just be plain old Counter Magic).

Nope.  I think concentrate would be better over martial arts, monster talk a necessity, and then I've currently got 2 slots set for reaction.  If I were to make their reaction counter flood (which works against most actions, it's just that I find counter+counter magic more... mimey.) there would be space, but alas.  They don't need additional PA since its fine on all other mime-y applications aside from their own attack, which is an emphasis that is welcome in my book.  

tl:dr

Suggestion for dagger-only skill?
Talk Skill Br/Fa reducers tweaked to -15 from -10?
Oracles lose petrify?
Summoners lose 2 of Ifrit/Salamander/Bahamut/Titan functions?  (ie, lose the dumb-targetting summons, shift remainder names to fit holes in element and lore?)

Scearcely

QuoteSuggestion for dagger-only skill?

speed slice - weaker damage but ignores reactions

QuoteTalk Skill Br/Fa reducers tweaked to -15 from -10?

with more thought, and the realization you're almost certainly gonna rework battles so I'd have to worry about it being used on me... yeah 15 is good

QuoteOracles lose petrify?

losing petrify is a good idea in itself, but expire as a replacement makes the yin/yang skill set too strong as a whole:
faith, mp recovery, health recovery/damage, a 2 cast death, mage-like mp/ma multipliers and sticks all on one class.

how about this: nix comet(time mages can use their wizard levels for damage) make expire the time magic 0ctr and give them countdown.  death sentence fits the time magic style better anyway. (at least in what passes for my mind)

kill petrify entirely... but really I can't think of a worthwhile replacement that would actually be codeable.

QuoteSummoners lose 2 of Ifrit/Salamander/Bahamut/Titan functions?  (ie, lose the dumb-targetting summons, shift remainder names to fit holes in element and lore?)

salamander and cyclops can go, make what is now cyclops named titan(cyclops isn't in any FF lore besides this game, they just needed another summon name) obviously bring over the earth element with the name.