• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Kefka Reborn?

Started by CidIII, February 28, 2010, 09:44:58 pm

CidIII

February 28, 2010, 09:44:58 pm Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:04:30 am by CidIII
Haha hey guys I haven't been on here foe a long time and I lost all my sprites that were almost finished: Kefka, Tellah, among others, and my projects so I'm trying to get caught back up.

Here's Kefka, I redrew him from my old video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEb2hQGFgI), I put(tried) red stripes around his collar, and his arms are blue for the time being.

Critique pleasee! Should I change the arms and pants?
Should I remove the stripes? etc.

Or should I completely rework him and do a more Dissidia style?
Any comments appreciated, thank you.

CidIII
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

mav

Ah, very interesting sprite. You should definitely go with FFVI style, as opposed to Dissidia. The main thing you have to do with this sprite is sacrifice some level of detail--cause right now there aren't enough shades to counter flatness. Secondly, the colors are a tad bit bright. Separately they may work: bright green, bright yellow, and bright blue look good when balanced with other sprites, but when they're together it's overwhelming.

CidIII

First post updated, okay so I updated the sleeves and darkened the green some, should I change the gold, and the red?

Also, with or with out the red striped collar?
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

The greens look pretty good, as do the reds, but with the golds, you may want to go with something a little less greenish. As for the collar, I think red stripes on the collar may not look too good with red arms.

CidIII

Alright, what I have now, critique please :)

Are my colors in co-ordinance?

mav

The greens, reds, and yellows look perfect, in my opinion, the only thing that might need some work is the white/beige on his shoulders--there could be a little more contrast. Darken the darkest shade and the middle shade some.

Kyousukeee

I remember seeing your Kefka from . . . 1 years ago or so ? Maybe your thread is still here , somewhere in the archives or way back in the spriting section .

I agree with what mav said , the colours are perfect for the sprite . Also without the red stripes the collar looks much better IMO .
I'd love to see more poses ^^

CidIII

Hmm updated what do you think of the colors? Maybe need more of a goldish tinge?

Smash

This Kefka looks too sane.. It would fit perfectly for when before the magitek experiments took place

My advise: The FFVI sprite look is great, but also feel free to experiment on combining features from the original FFVI art, FFVI and Dissidia versions. You could also take some of FFT's attributes to give Kefka a good custom FFT look. Some decent concept art may be needed though, to get things organized.

As for me, I might give the portrait a go. :)

Thinking on making it off this: (Face and neck)

CidIII

So should I make his skin white and change his clothing to what is in the picture?

Kyousukeee

@CidIII
White skin might look good but you'll need to choose the whites carefully or it'll blend with his collar . A normal skin tone is also pretty good .
Personally I'd stick with the colours from FFVI Kefka , the concept art from Amano and Dissidia have way too many colours in his clothing and the polka dot in his sleeve isn't good . . . Maybe you could try doing both styles for comparison .

ROFL . . .

mav

Hmm, as insane as the other Kefka looks, it may work better as a second palette. I find Cid's current version to be a very accurate portrayal of the sprite seen in FFVI.

CidIII

Alright then are these frames acceptable if I retouch them up with colors and maybe tweak them a little?

mav

Looks pretty good, my only suggestions are to replace the skin tone on the head (used for highlights) with one of the whites from the collar. You might wanna fix up the shading on the yellow trip on the cape and chest too.

CidIII

I'd like Smash's opinion on the Kefka model before I continue ;)

Whites? Or Dissidia style etc.!?

wicked1one11!!

Personally I LOVE Kefka, from both FFVI and from Dissidia (He's one of my mains lol), so I'm definitely looking forward to see how this will turn out. Already looks super good towards the FFVI style :3

I would say stick with this one for now, since you've already got a rather good base down for it, and once finished (or if you give up, heaven forbid so!) you could try the other form.
Would be pretty interesting for your FFVI patch your planning, showing the before AND after the Magitek Experiments :3

Kaijyuu

He strikes me as too masculine. I've always seen Kefka as a real wimp physically.* He should definitely be a type 2 sprite imo.

*He buffs up as an angel but :P
  • Modding version: PSX