• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:56:33 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Event Nickname Helper

Started by Nyzer, December 16, 2023, 04:25:43 pm

Nyzer

Through event editing, it's possible to give units custom unit nicknames on the fly - the equivalent of taking a unit to the soldier office and renaming them. They don't lose their base name/quote ID, but as far as the player's concerned, they go by their new nickname now. You can also do this with job nicknames, though these only last during battle, and using Select on them in the status screen will give the description according to the unit's Job ID. Still, if you're looking to make use of temporary nicknames for one-off units whose stats are never saved or whatever other shenanigans you can imagine, this does allow for some interesting possibilities. ArmoredKori uses it in her mod Unexplored to give the Ordallian units unique job nicknames to help them stand out as foreign versions of Ivalician units, for example.

They're a pain in the ass to fill out by hand, though, since you need to cross-check the Font page character by character while filling out each set of LUI and ADD commands while keeping in mind that the four bytes per set need to be filled in in reverse order compared to how the name will be read later, but the (up to) four sets themselves need to be in the correct order.

I got sick of doing it and decided just to make a spreadsheet to do it for me so I could C&P the commands I wanted and be done with it.

Note that since these commands include SaveAddress, you'll need to use the Event Instruction Upgrade Hack in order for this to work.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown