• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:50:28 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Stuck with only the first 4 skills of a custom skill set

Started by FFT, November 11, 2009, 01:41:03 am

FFT

This problem is weird and I can't figure it out, I edited the Ninja to use a custom skill set but in battle, I can only see the first four skills that I set.

I made sure my characters have the skills learned by the way but only the first four skills appear in battle.

*BTW I am using FFTPatcher and here's the skill set(Yes I know it's overpowered >.>):

In the world menu, I can see all of the skills but in battle, I can only select the first 4 skills(the rest aren't even there).

By the way I am basing the skill off of 3A Holy Sword(I tried other skill sets and they're the same).

The odd thing is:

1. If I give (Agrias) the skill set(on her Holy Knight class), she can use all the skills.

2. If I change the class of Agrias to Ninja, she can use them too. So maybe only generic(non-unique) characters suffer from this problem?

3. If I give my other generic character(I put her on the Mediator job) the 3A Holy Sword(which I set as the default for Ninja), she can use all the skills.

4. But the problem is, my characters set on the "Ninja" job can only use the first 4 skills, nothing else appears in the menu when I select it.

I tried switching the jobs then switching back, and making sure all skills are learned but nothing seems to work.

So anyone have any ideas on why only four skills can be selected? Again I made sure that my ninjas learned all the skills I added.

Any help will be appreciated.

Orlandu

Quote from: "FFT"By the way I am basing the skill off of 3A Holy Sword(I tried other skill sets and they're the same).

This.

If you edit the ninja skillset rather than the 3A, you woud never encounter this problem, believe me.

Agrias can use all the skills because her default job is holy knight, why don' you try ramza, mustadio, or other unique that wasn't a holy knight. i believe they will suffer the same problem as your first ninja.

So, my advice you should use the generic ninja skillset rather than holy sword. i forgot the hex though, and i can't access fftpatcher on my office =P

EDIT:
On second thought, i'm not 100% sure now. When i think again, my problem wasn't exactly like yours, it's the other way around.

I cannot learn the skills on world map, but i can access them alright in battle, a little bit different with you. I tried to make someone with assassin sprite, and princess skillset, the skill listed at world map are the assassin's skill, while on the battle the skillset listed are the princess one.

Mental_Gear

November 11, 2009, 08:48:26 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Quote from: "Orlandu"
Quote from: "FFT"By the way I am basing the skill off of 3A Holy Sword(I tried other skill sets and they're the same).

This.

If you edit the ninja skillset rather than the 3A, you woud never encounter this problem, believe me.

Agrias can use all the skills because her default job is holy knight, why don' you try ramza, mustadio, or other unique that wasn't a holy knight. i believe they will suffer the same problem as your first ninja.

So, my advice you should use the generic ninja skillset rather than holy sword. i forgot the hex though, and i can't access fftpatcher on my office =P

EDIT:
On second thought, i'm not 100% sure now. When i think again, my problem wasn't exactly like yours, it's the other way around.

I cannot learn the skills on world map, but i can access them alright in battle, a little bit different with you. I tried to make someone with assassin sprite, and princess skillset, the skill listed at world map are the assassin's skill, while on the battle the skillset listed are the princess one.

This. Essentially, a job is 'rigid' to its skillset. If you give a job a different skillset (e.g. give the White Mage the Mystic Arts skillset as its default one) you will encounter glitches. However, you can change the ABILITIES within the skillset without glitches, then change the name via TacText.

philsov

November 11, 2009, 11:45:39 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
note that some skillsets like Throw and Jump and Math Skill are set as special sort of skillsets.  If you want to give those classes (and thus skillsets) a slew of normal abilities, make sure to flag them as <Default>.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

jimmyjw88

November 11, 2009, 12:22:15 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
I have the same problem before when I was editing and changing Dragon Knight's skillsets. Its something like limit or default number of skills or something. Because I test on generics, 4 skills only but I test on Ramza, all skills available.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Mental_Gear

November 11, 2009, 12:31:45 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Oh, and Mime is pretty much hardcoded, AFAIK.

FFT

November 11, 2009, 06:08:15 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFT
Ahh I see, thanks for the help everyone.

The problem is I did try editing "Throw" and I even set it to <Default> but for some reason, it would be really buggy.

For example, sometimes Night Sword would only have melee range, sometimes Night Sword would have the right range but it would cause Confusion or stop or something instead(same with most of the abilities).

Which is why I tried giving another skill set to the Ninja.

Anyone else had a problem editing the "Throw" skill(Even when changed to <Default> through the Action Menu tab)?

Anyway that was why I tried editing a different skill set and giving it to Ninja instead of just editing Throw, because for some odd reason all the skills were bugged.

Here's what I have the Throw Skill set to(As for the abilities, they're the same as the edited Holy Sword 3A that was posted above):

Aquablack

November 11, 2009, 09:18:18 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquablack
I think I read somewhere in the forums that the item, jump, throw, and draw-out skillsets are bugged and can't be changed to default, or the 4 skill maximum bug will occur, as it will reference the default squire job for known moves. (At least with generic units)

I think the archer's charge and calculator's math skill can be changed though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

jimmyjw88

November 11, 2009, 10:14:05 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Yes, because I too changed before Jump skillset and only 4 skills appeared.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Vanya

November 12, 2009, 12:45:13 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Aquablack"I think I read somewhere in the forums that the item, jump, throw, and draw-out skillsets are bugged and can't be changed to default, or the 4 skill maximum bug will occur, as it will reference the default squire job for known moves. (At least with generic units)

I think the archer's charge and calculator's math skill can be changed though.

Correct this is a glitch that affects Generic Units.
That's why Agrias has no problem with it. In fact you can set a Special Unit to use any skillset you want with no problems.

There is also another glitch with Generics to watch out for. If you change their skillset to another one instead of editing the one it comes with you'll see that in battle that skillset uses the unit's base job learned skill data instead of the current job's learned skill data.

In short, Generics are buggy.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hollow_Screech

I know this is old but I am just getting into modding my FFT and I am having this problem still with ALL characters... I would change up stats for example on an Oracle and give them the skillset of Beowulf, the Templar.. I checked to make sure everything was set and correct.  I had both Ramza and a generic as an Oracle and only 4 skills were available. HOWEVER... I if I change jobs to anything else and set my secondary skill as the Oracle's skill (Ying-Yang Magic), All the skills are available for use. This is the exact same thing if I make the Oracle's skillset as Magic Sword (Beowulf's Skill). This even happens with Special Characters.... How can I fix this?

RavenOfRazgriz

Don't change the skillset a job defaults to.  Change the skills inside the skillset.

In your case - don't make Oracles use Magic Sword, make the Yin-Yang Magic skillset contain all the Magic Sword skills.  Doing otherwise results in errors on player-controlled units, especially generic ones.

Hollow_Screech

I did that and I still have the problem of only 4 skills in Ying Yang Magic...