• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:00:26 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

Lijj

I like it!
I actually like the colors too.. it looks like a beefed up mediator.. thanks for finishing Magneto as well.
  • Modding version: PSX

RavenOfRazgriz

How hard would it be to whip up a female counterpart for that sprite, CONMAN?  I would totally use that for a Job if it had a female counterpart and someone felt like editing the portraits to match a bit better.

Celdia

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on May 07, 2012, 04:19:45 pm
How hard would it be to whip up a female counterpart for that sprite, CONMAN?  I would totally use that for a Job if it had a female counterpart and someone felt like editing the portraits to match a bit better.

This. I've been looking for another mage-type sprite for some generics for a while now. This would work out nicely if it had a female version to go with it.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

CONMAN

I could play around and give it a try.  On and off for about a week I just kept removing everything except for capes from a couple of sprites and just started trying them on other sprites.  Now that I type that, I feel like I have been playing dress up with sprites :shock:.

The one I posted yesterday- isn't really finished either.  It needs a couple minor touch ups, some arm deletion, and is missing the calc collar on some poses.

CONMAN

Random Robed prototypes....or dress up...

Light-weight copy pasta (With non-matching and poor color selection).  Slappin on some robes and such.......  I find it unfortunate that robes are really divided like arms into type1/2.  Mostly just male summoner cape, and I didn't add a calc on all but one.

I think I should make a sheet for just the female summoner cape- but it would take a little extra work because the hair and robe share colors  :cry:  Just for fun.... preggers Teta ;)

3lric

These are really neat CONMAN  :mrgreen:
Keep up the great work!

Zareb

I just read all nine pages of this thread, and I have to say that your sprites are quite impressive, CONMAN.  However, I think you should update your first post to contain all of your completed/functional sprite sheets; more people should see the crazy amount of time and effort you put into these!
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

CONMAN

Thanks- :mrgreen: I suppose that does make a lot of sense.  I may do that shortly.

Jon

Hey those capes are a pretty good idea! Maybe a Zalbag and Knight's capes too? Only if you feel like it, of course :D
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

CONMAN

I already have a knight cape one just sitting around.  Zalbag might not be that hard.  I just didn't feel they would be a good fit for these mage prototypes.

I have definately considered posting a bunch of ready to layer sheets.  It would be easy to just have a bunch of cape, or boot, or head sheets for easy assembly.  Honestly, I didn't have a good idea of what all I could do with Graphicsgale (and still don't) for a long time.  I don't usually like to read the help topics and such- I just go with what is easy to see. 

My first few sprites I worked on, I didn't know to use the layering.  I would have been a HUGE time saver.  Imagine copy/pasting stuff and pasting over chunks of a sprite that had to be replaced bit-by-bit :oops:

Jon

CONMAN

Ya, no contributions for a while...  I've still been lurking a lot, and working on my own patch(Ajora, Event editing is time consuming!).  However, that doesn't mean I haven't been toying with some sprites (or atleast ideas).

I've been wanting to make some standard human sized Lucavi/banshee/demon whatever...  I had one in mind for a while, but I wanted it to complement Esperella.  Really,  I feel like unless size dictates, I should just use standard type1/2.  So, grudgingly (always more fun to start fresh than complete my work) I have been working on sp2 Esperella. I'm about a day and a half into it.

Little known fact, I have a poor eye for shading :roll:, but I love to find neat ways to exploit hopefuly new and creative combinations and such.  I have spent a lot of time working on arms, and looking at the dead space that could be abused(BTW the MindMaster is one of my favorite sprites and has definately inspired me).  Why work on effects for monster frames, when I can change individual frames with only arms :twisted:.

Couldn't I just swap out the defending arm poses for arms with an energy shield?

Why couldn't I make a skeleton/squidlarkin/goblin type monster that doesn't use it's arms in attack frames?  Could I have a floating  head or tiny fireball or uncoiling snake (think familiar) actually replace the attack frame arms, while he/she/it stands smugly with crossed arms?  I believe this can be done- with some comparison work looking at those 3 monster sprite attack arm frames.

I spent about a minute and a half just pasting some lightening onto a copy of Esperella's sheet and another minute making a terrible gif to give you an idea of what I'm seeing on my own shishi.  Keep in mind this could be easily adjust, and more than a minute could be spent making it look good.

Edit: wow that gif sucks... first one-lol. Take a look in shishi, it's not bad.  Also, this puppy is only 15 colors.

Celdia

Hooray, Esperella update! \o/ Electricity is an interesting choice. I did like the force-aura you were using before. What inspired putting this on her walking animation?

Tried making a gif with the Sprite Animator but I don't think its set up for the right Type of spritesheet.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

CONMAN

July 18, 2012, 12:10:42 pm #173 Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:09:46 pm by CONMAN
Thanks for the improved gif!  I was up late... and stoned and... wanted to give it a test.  I think that lightening, could look a lot better, but just wanted to try it out.  Honestly, this might not even be a very good sprite to add that to, but I just wanted to see it in action.

I had been thinking about adding an aura onto the arm frames (but not around the arms, but the sprite body).  I had been thinking about just tweeking the upraised/spellcasting arms, and the defend pose arms and figured I would experiment.

Edit: New block

CONMAN

Close to finished with Esperella sp2 sheet.  Not sure about the blocking still.... I should improve the port. (I really ought to go over that tutorial...)

Also, I wanted have a male counterpart to esperella (Maybe it doesn't look the part, but I imagine it as such.. :roll:)  I have a vague armored demon sort of thing in mind....  I kind of want it to have bare legs, but that may be too much work.  I can't seem to pick good pants/loin cloth to fit it.  For the moment I slaped on some Red ranger legs... but it looks wonky :| I could use some pointers.

Also, I thought I would share a train wreck of a sprite attempt.  This sprite started with the best of intentions (much like my brief tinkering with Altima2) and is surely well beyond my abilites.  However,  I KNOW it is doable and wanted to share this aborted sprite with the board as perhaps a glimmer of hope.  Yes, I reached for the stars and fell very short.  This attempt was less like Icarus burning his wings, and more like those old timey pictures/videos of early attempts at flight.

A CHOCOBO SHEET CAN BE DONE!!!!

Yes, I badly attempted to create a mutated tiamat/dragon hybrid that could use the chocobo sheet...  You sure as hell can't fault me for wanting a dragon mount... The idea is freaking awesome right? 

Close examination of this sheet and tinkering with shishi reveals that it is more or less largely redundant.  Everything below the blue line is a double (See it's only about 66% as hard as it looks :mrgreen:)

I believe I could have taken it farther, but the writing was on the wall........

Kagebunji

Male Phantom has potential, I like it a lot. Kinda reminds me of a human sized Iron Giant. Perhaps you should mess with the colors, you know. Red on the body contrasts poorly with his gown thing. As for the body, I would pursue the Iron Giant resemblance and give him something armored, you have plenty of armored legs to choose from, heh.

Thunders on Esperella was a cool addition, I would keep it just for kicks.

You have no idea how much I want to edit Chocobo sheet, haha. But looking at how clusterfucked the sheet is, it would be pretty hard.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

I think it would be easier to change either a Dragon or Tiamat sprite to whatever you want, replace the undead Oracle in Shishi and make it mountable with ASM. Its probably much quicker just changing the default Dragons/Tiamats then trying to decipher what goes where with Chocobos...

3lric

CONMAN! I'm very happy that someone is finally trying to make a custom CYOKO type sheet. I would really like to see it finished.

I honestly had never thought of putting a new monster into it, but I was wondering how long it would be before someone armored a chocobo.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Jon on July 28, 2012, 02:30:38 pm
I think it would be easier to change either a Dragon or Tiamat sprite to whatever you want, replace the undead Oracle in Shishi and make it mountable with ASM. Its probably much quicker just changing the default Dragons/Tiamats then trying to decipher what goes where with Chocobos...

That has nothing to do with why you edit the Chocobo sheet, Jon... it has to do with the visual of the rider on the monster looking correct.

Pride

If that tiamat mount comes out look good, everyone will love you.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?