• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:16 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

PW 2.0 Special Jobs

Started by Eternal, September 07, 2014, 08:50:49 pm

Eternal

September 07, 2014, 08:50:49 pm Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:30:06 pm by Eternal
Special jobs in PW 2.0 are shades of their Vanilla counterparts, but with a unique blend of general PW insanity, with each unique job fitting a unique role or gimmick.

AGRIAS:

Skillset: Holy Blade
Example Skills: Stasis Sword, Split Sword, Holy Explosion, Ward, Brace, Steelguard, Mediguard, Cure, Regen, Veil
Equip: Swords, Knightswords, Shields, Helmets, Heavy Armor, Robes
Innate: Defend

Agrias serves as a direct foil to Harbingers and have the defensive prowess of a Sentinel while not quite nailing the finer points of either. Acting as a tanky version of a Harbinger, Agrias' Holy Swordskills have targetting similar to Harbinger skills: Stasis Sword damages all units around her, Split Sword can strike a single target up to two tiles away, and Holy Explosion can damage units two tiles straight in front of her. Unlike Harbinger skills, her Swordskills consume MP, rather than HP, and although they're evadeable, they can also inflict debuffs. Stasis Sword inflicts Immobilize to aid in her tanking skills, Holy Explosion inflicts Blind, and Split Sword inflicts Silence- allowing her to defend her allies by taking the bite out of enemies.

Her other defensive skills focus on defending not so much her allies, but herself: Ward and Brace are the respective Templar and Valkyrie skills (Shell + Regen + Defending on self and Protect + Regen + Defending on self, respectively), Steelguard places all allies in Defending status (exactly as the Sentinel skill does), Mediguard places herself and adjacent allies in Defending + Regen status, and Cure, Regen, and Veil are as they are on the other jobs, giving her a pseudo-Paladin feel. To that end, the player should decide whether to focus on her MP and MA with Robes, or making her more of a tank with Heavy Armor.

MUSTADIO:

Skillset: Gadgets
Example Skills: Aim: Leg, Aim: Arm, Weapon Break, Armor Break, Meditron, Magibot, Cureborg, Launch Panel, Hide, Flee
Equip: Guns, Axes, Flails, Hats, Clothing
Innate: Item Lore

Mustadio is, effectively, now a Team Fortress 2 Engineer. Designed strictly as a support unit, Mustadio has access to crippling abilities that'll prevent enemies from harming allies, as well as Aim: Weapon to assist in that, with Aim: Armor to help soften enemies up for annihilation.

His next four skills- Meditron, Magibot, Cureborg, and Launch Panel- are all based off of PW 1.0's Sniper job Snares. In essence, Mustadio will deploy a healing ability once every X clockticks in a selected area anywhere on the battlefield. The selected area can act as a "healing zone" for allies in desperate need of medical attention. These skills will persevere, continuing until Mustadio dies or selects a different action. They consume no MP.

Meditron: Any ally who steps on the selected tile and is on it when the skill goes off has its HP restored based on MA. 1 AoE.
Magibot: Any ally who steps on the selected tile and is on it when the skill goes off has its MP restored based on MA. 0 AoE.
Cureborg: Any ally who steps on the selected tiles and are on it when the skill goes off has most common debuffs removed from them. 2 AoE.
Launch Panel: Any ally who steps on the selected tile and is on it when the skill goes off receives 100 CT.

Hide and Flee inflict Vanish and Haste on Mustadio, respectively, allowing him to change strategy as needed.

RAFA:

Skillset: White Lore
Example Skills: Divinity, White Wind, Mighty Guard, Angel Whisper, Pond's Chorus, Matra Magic
Equip: Swords, Staves, Hats, Robes, Clothing

Rafa is very much her PW 1.0 self, having (formerly) Blue Magic skills, with her unique twist: each of her skills hits randomly within their four possible panels of hitting. However, as a nod to the killer Rafa/Malak setup in FFH history of ages past, her skills have smart targetting. To that end, her defensive skills are far more effective when an ally is surrounded by enemies, whereas her offensive skills are far more effective when an enemy is surrounded by allies. Her skills have no CT (except Matra Magic), but consume MP.

Divinity: Deals Thunder-based Faith-ignoring damage to an enemy within 1 AoE, randomly.
White Wind: Fully restores an ally's HP and MP within 1 AoE, randomly.
Mighty Guard: Bestows Protect, Shell, Veil, Regen, and Reraise to an ally within 1 AoE, randomly.
Angel Whisper: Fully restores a fallen ally's HP within 1 AoE, randomly.
Pond's Chorus: Inflicts Frog + Poison to an enemy within 1 AoE, randomly.
Matra Magic: Inflicts damage equal to the enemy's MP within 1 AoE, randomly. Great boss/Lucavi killer, but can only be acquired in Deep Dungeon. Has a CT.

MALAK:

Skillset: Black Lore
Example Skills: Impiety, Magic Hammer, Acid, Frost, Limit Glove, Degenerator
Equip: Poles, Rods, Hats, Robes, Clothing

Malak is much like Rafa, sharing her gimmicks, but his skills are far more attack-oriented in nature, and he's designed to play as more of an assassin, bearing high SPD and EVD, compared to Rafa's high HP and MP. Where Rafa is all about aiding allies and defending them, Malak is about having his allies surround a foe and launching an execution upon it.

Impiety: Deals Fire-based Unfaith damage to an enemy within 1 AoE, randomly.
Magic Hammer: Reduces an enemy's MP to 0 within 1 AoE, randomly.
Acid: Inflicts several random debuffs on an enemy within 1 AoE, randomly.
Frost: Deals Ice-based Faith damage to an enemy and inflicts Stop within 1 AoE, randomly.
Limit Glove: Inflicts damage equal to the enemy's lost HP within 1 AoE, randomly. Great boss/Lucavi killer, but can only be acquired in Deep Dungeon. Has a CT.
Degenerator: Inflicts Death on an enemy within 1 AoE, randomly.

MELIADOUL:

Skillset: Blade of Ruin
Example Skills: Shellbust Stab, Blastar Punch, Hellcry Punch, Icewolf Bite, Mind Ruin, Power Ruin, Speed Ruin, Crush Punch
Equip: Swords, Knightswords, Shields, Helmets, Heavy Armor

Meliadoul permanently enfeebles foes by destroying their gear- and their stats. To that end, her Ruin skills are as they are in Vanilla (except Speed Ruin, which inflicts Slow on an enemy), in that they're based on Faith. She -is- a member of the Church, afterall. Meliadoul's skills, however, are pricy in MP and can be evaded, meaning that she should use Concentration or be put under Vanish status before going in for the kill.

BEOWULF:

Skillset: Enchantment
Example Skills: Enflame, Enfrost, Enspark, Enwater, Enaero, Enstone, Endark, Enholy, Double Fire, Double Blizzard, Double Thunder, Double Water, Double Aero, Double Stone, Double Dark, Double Dia
Equip: Swords, Shields, Helmets, Heavy Armor, Robes
Innate: Re-equip

Beowulf is arguably the most versatile special unit in the game now, having access to two different families of schools, with each element in each. Using his innate Re-equip ability, he can change between Robes and Heavy Armor to fit whatever defensive needs are needed at the moment (at the cost of a turn). Having equal PA and MA, Beowulf can fit the melee offensive or ranged offensive roles with relative ease, assuming he has enough MP to perform his actions.

En- family magic is much as it is in FFXI and FFXIII: each En- ability releases a weapon strike that deals weapon damage, but is of a different element. In addition, each En- ability also has the chance to inflict a debuff on the enemy. En- magic works with any weapon- although Spellblade Beowulf can inherently only use Swords, if he were to use, say, Equip Ranged, or change to a different job, he can use En- magic on his ranged attacks, as well. En- magic is designed for those wanting to use a PA-based Beowulf.

Double- family magic is the closest you'll get to a Red Mage in FFT: each Double- ability releases a spell that ignores Faith and hits exactly twice using the gimmick of that element's family. For example, Double Fire will hit twice with 2 AoE, Double Aero will hit at 6 Range, Double Dia will ignore Evasion, etc. Each Double- ability costs twice the MP of its regular spell, but retains the CT cost of a single spell. Because each element has its own gimmick for a wide variety of settings, this gives Beowulf heavy magical power and a great deal of variety. Double- magic is designed for those wanting to use a MA-based Beowulf.

REIS:

Skillset: Draconic Arts
Example Skills: Bahamut, Dragonforce, Dragon's Speed, Wyrmtamer, Wyrmslayer
Equip: Hats, Clothes, Robes
Innate: Brawler, Dual Wield

Reis' gimmick remains the same as Vanilla FFT, except this time she can call Bahamut to blast everything in her path... and then she can walk up to an enemy and fist it in the face- twice, with Dual Wield being unique now to Reis. As before, she has high HP and PA, but her female MA growth makes Bahamut nuking a viable option as well. She's best used if you've recruited a lot of Dragons and Hydras with Gerard.

ORLANDU:

Skillset: Iaido
Equip: Knightswords, Ninja Blades, Shields, Helmets, Heavy Armor
Example Skills: Iai Blow I, Iai Blow IV, etc.
Innate: Concentrate

Orlandu is an evade tank, akin to Ninja, but focuses on heavy damage to single enemies as opposed to debuffs. His skillset is a polished and rebranded Charge, allowing him to finish enemies with flair with a single flash of his blade- he strikes as lightning, needing to strike only once to fell his foe. Even if Snipers lose Concentrate, Orlandu won't. He's designed to strike hard, and to dodge and counter blows, akin to Hobyrim of TO (once more). He is also the only unit to get Hamedo, giving him a distinctive evasive flair unique all to him. He's different from every other version of him, but he's deadly all the same.

WORKER 8:

Exact details to be yet decided.

BYBLOS:

Skillset: Azure Arts
Example Skills: Painflare, Hellfire, Blight, Malaise, Flash Arc, Judgment Bolt, Kill, Condemnation, Roxxor, Gaia's Wrath, Redemption, Eschaton, Bleed, Gravity II, Mana Spring, Battle Cry
Equip: N/A
Innate: Beastmaster, Poach, Arcane Defense, Defense Boost

Byblos is the cooler, magically-inclined version of Gerard that can only be acquired in END- and, in fact, that's his entire gimmick. Byblos starts with no skills whatsoever and will instead gain them by battling each superbattle in DD against the Lucavi rematches. He can do just about anything- assuming you can overcome the hurdles to make him able to do anything.

GERARD:

Skillset: Bestial Arts
Example Skills: Chocobo Down, Pounce, Nightmare Touch, etc.
Innate: Tame, Beastmaster, Poach

Gerard is a character unique to PW, and one of (hopefully) several new characters. Gerard's gimmick is a simple one: tame beasts, make them stronger. By simply reducing an enemy monster to HP Critical, Gerard convinces it to join the party- the only way to get monsters in PW. From those monsters, Gerard can learn their skills Blue Magic style, making him a versatile (if somewhat physically-oriented) fighter.

Thoughts are welcome as always!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Selius

September 08, 2014, 04:27:08 am #1 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:35:07 am by Selius
NOPE CHUCK TESTA

Agrias still my favorite. I really really like that skillset too.

Magic Hammer: Reduces an enemy's MP to 0 within 1 AoE, randomly.

That's going to be just as broken as I think it's going to be, isn't it?

Vaan

"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

The Damned

September 08, 2014, 09:44:54 pm #3 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:31:01 pm by The Damned
(Given they're conspicously asbent from this list, I'm guessing that Rad/Ladd, Alicia, Lavian, Boco and last and certainly least, Cloud are getting replaced. Technically, I suppose Cloud is the only "actual" special character among those with regards to vanilla, but still.

Regardless, I'd be completely fine with that.)

That said, I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised you're keeping Byblos. He's honestly the easiest special character to replace or outright axe given how late he appears. I know you said that you haven't decided anything about him exactly, but are you at least planning on moving up his availability a tad?

I'll use spoilers here as well like in the generic Class thread even though this post isn't going to be anywhere near as long as my commentary in that thread. For one thing, I don't really have much to say about Agrias or Meliadoul or Reis or Gerard. For another thing, there are far fewer classes.

Then again, when has that ever stopped me from being a blathering blatherskite? (Answer: Gizmoduck never.)

Well, it seems she makes my intention of using female Harbingers slightly less contrary, though it's not very surprising. She's always been rather a foil, if primarily story-wise, to Gafgarion's Dark Knight, and that's what Harbinger is basically a generic version of, so....

That said, I like the changes to sword-skills she has gotten to keep and the other abilities she gets now make it a lot less likely Orlandu will just completely replace her (and Meliadoul).

1. I haven't ever been able to play Team Fortress 2, unfortunately, but I thankfully know what you're talking about here unlike that Tactics Orge reference. I must admit I'm rather...jealous given how much I like the idea of being able to "engineer" healing stations and stuff like that. Any decision yet made about what animations you're using for them? Regardless, I'm glad to see you managed to find a way to implement "snares" in a way, especially in a way that makes more sense.

2. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about Hide or, more accurately, the Transparent/Vanish status still. It should be fine given that here it's only one unit you ever get, but I just think I'm going to always be a wary of that status. Flee is fine though and make sense.

3. Flails on him seem a bit weird though, even knowing why they're there what with them being a WP*WP formula.

1. Always nice to see Rafa made into someone useful for something other than Deep Dungeon Move-Find-trolling like in vanilla. Speaking of Deep Dungeon, I'm guessing that Ma(n)tra Magic is the only skill she has that has to be learned via Blue Magic, correct?

2. Not much else to say here except that Divinity seems a bit out of place given everything else in the example, though I understand why it's there. Also, if it wasn't for conformation that Dispel gets rid of Veil, then I would have said that Mighty Guard seemed rather overpowered even with the random hitting nature.

3. Actually, I do have another question now that I think about it: Generally speaking, what is the Vertical on Rafa's abilities? Is it "infinite"/255 or...?

4. Also, (at present) White Wind doesn't reverse healing even if the ally is Undead, does it?

1. As with Rafa, it's nice to see a useful form of Malak, especially since their effective differences stem naturally from their in-story different mindsets from the way Barinten raised them: Rafa's offensive skills work best with a single now-kiting Ninja whereas Malak is now very much a weird type of ninja assassin--yes, he is now played by Rain--who gets to sit back and snipe as others "zerg rush". (Note: I've never played Starcraft save for once or twice.)

2. Given their similarities, I "have" to ask: Much like Rafa's Matra Magic, Malak's Limit Glove is the only skill he has that has to be learned via Blue Magic, correct?

3. Also like Rafa, I "have" to ask: Is the vertical of Black Lore's skills "infinite" or not?

4. I never thought that I'd be more uncomfortable with a Blue Magic that was in the same game as something called Degenerator than I would with, well, anything named Degenerator, but Magic Hammer being random Mute rather...bothers me. Granted, I think it may be fine, especially since it directly undermines his sister's Matra Magic, but I wholeheartedly understand why Selius is so wary of it. Then again, abilities that tend to damage MP probably the most hit-or-miss type of abilities.

5. I find it a bit odd that Rafa has more HP, but I suppose it does fit. I'm glad to see that Malak has access to Poles and Rods innately even if that's all he gets. I was always kind of annoyed that he couldn't ever take advantage of Gokuu Rod without changing into an Oracle in vanilla.

1. I rather like that the Ruins are based on Faith now, especially since you pointed out why that fits even if she technically did go "rogue" from the church for the sake of revenge. Given you said they're like vanilla outside of the Faith change, would I be correct in assuming this means that they still use MP? It seems a bit weird to realize that she doesn't really have any 0 MP abilities to fall back on like Agrias presumably does. I suppose neither do Rafa & Malak, however, and Meliadoul's skills are still pretty damn devastating even if they take evasion and MP (like they should).

2. Other than that, I like the new name of her skill set and I'm wondering if we get to know what Crush Punch does now or if it's changed much at all since you didn't say anything about it.

1. Hmmm...I'm a bit torn about Beowulf having so many skills and effectively two different skill sets in the same skill set. On the one hand, as someone who tends to lean towards liking elemental strategies, who didn't want Beowulf to be "just" a better Oracle with a sword again and who wanted to see someone (else) use the double skills, this is a welcome change. I suppose it's also better to "double up" on Beowulf's skill set rather than giving it to another character--Reis?--instead and having them immediately end up being competition with one of them probably getting obviated given the likeness. If you have the room for it--I don't, cry cry--skill-wise, then why not I suppose.

On the other hand, even with the explanation given for this and the explanation in the monster thread about toning down elemental weaknesses, it seems, at least a glance, a bit much, especially depending on the statuses he can cause. This especially since he seems to have a lot more skills than everyone else with a full 16 versus an average of about 8. Granted, as said above, since it basically is two separate skill sets, I suppose that actually fits even if it still makes me hesitant that he'll be...extremely good.

Still, I doubt that he'll be anywhere near vanilla Orlandu levels of ridiculous, even with Imperil status around, and someone has to be the best special character I suppose.... It's just weird to think it will be Sir Kadmus for once.

2. I think the other thing bothers me a bit about the skill set is that it takes a lot from FFV's Rune Knight, since those are essentially what the "En-" abilities are based on. Is he going to be called Rune Knight now--like Dycedarg was supposed to be, loony bastard though he is--or is he going to still be a "Temple Knight" despite, well, Templar also existing?

This looks good, though since it's essentially vanilla Reis with Bahamut, that's not really surprising given she was basically the only special character in vanilla who could come close to rivaling Orlandu's power. I have to wonder if you reigned her in just a tad though, especially if she's now the only person to ever get Dual Wield, which is an interesting idea in and of itself, especially given Ninja is one of the classes you've kept.

So Gerard is the sole Blue Mage we get? I guess that works. Is he also the only unit we get that has Tame or Beastmaster or Poach since I haven't seen any of those RSMs mentioned in the generic class thread now that I think about it.

Given Reis does have Dual Wield, perhaps you could give Cid innate Two Hands/Doublehand (if you haven't already) since I don't recall any of your generic class having that either. Shrug.

Oh, and I just realized: Is there a reason why Ramza isn't on this list even though he's technically a special character?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

Quote from: The Damned on September 08, 2014, 09:44:54 pm
(Given they're conspicously asbent from this list, I'm guessing that Rad/Ladd, Alicia, Lavian, Boco and last and certainly least, Cloud are getting replaced. Technically, I suppose Cloud is the only "actual" special character, but still.

Regardless, I'd be completely fine with that.)

That said, I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised you're keeping Byblos. He's honestly the easiest special character to replace or outright axe given how late he appears. I know you said that you haven't decided anything about him exactly, but are you at least planning on moving up his availability a tad?

I'll use spoilers here as well like in the generic Class thread even though this post isn't going to be anywhere near as long as my commentary in that thread. For one thing, I don't really have much to say about Agrias or Meliadoul or Reis or Gerard. For another thing, there are far fewer classes.

Then again, when has that ever stopped me from being a blathering blatherskite? (Answer: Gizmoduck never.)

Well, it seems she makes my intention of using female Harbingers slightly less contrary, though it's not very surprising. She's always been rather a foil, if primarily story-wise, to Gafgarion's Dark Knight, and that's what Harbinger is basically a generic version of, so....

That said, I like the changes to sword-skills she has gotten to keep and the other abilities she gets now make it a lot less likely Orlandu will just completely replace her (and Meliadoul).

1. I haven't ever been able to play Team Fortress 2, unfortunately, but I thankfully know what you're talking about here unlike that Tactics Orge reference. I must admit I'm rather...jealous given how much I like the idea of being able to "engineer" healing stations and stuff like that. Any decision yet made about what animations you're using for them? Regardless, I'm glad to see you managed to find a way to implement "snares" in a way, especially in a way that makes more sense.

2. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about Hide or, more accurately, the Transparent/Vanish status still. It should be fine given that here it's only one unit you ever get, but I just think I'm going to always be a wary of that status. Flee is fine though and make sense.

3. Flails on him seem a bit weird though, even knowing why they're there what with them being a WP*WP formula.

1. Always nice to see Rafa made into someone useful for something other than Deep Dungeon Move-Find-trolling like in vanilla. Speaking of Deep Dungeon, I'm guessing that Ma(n)tra Magic is the only skill she has that has to be learned via Blue Magic, correct?

2. Not much else to say here except that Divinity seems a bit out of place given everything else in the example, though I understand why it's there. Also, if it wasn't for conformation that Dispel gets rid of Veil, then I would have said that Mighty Guard seemed rather overpowered even with the random hitting nature.

3. Actually, I do have another question now that I think about it: Generally speaking, what is the Vertical on Rafa's abilities? Is it "infinite"/255 or...?

4. Also, (at present) White Wind doesn't reverse healing even if the ally is Undead, does it?

1. As with Rafa, it's nice to see a useful form of Malak, especially since their effective differences stem naturally from their in-story different mindsets from the way Barinten raised them: Rafa's offensive skills work best with a single now-kiting Ninja whereas Malak is now very much a weird type of ninja assassin--yes, he is now played by Rain--who gets to sit back and snipe as others "zerg rush". (Note: I've never played Starcraft save for once or twice.)

2. Given their similarities, I "have" to ask: Much like Rafa's Matra Magic, Malak's Limit Glove is the only skill he has that has to be learned via Blue Magic, correct?

3. Also like Rafa, I "have" to ask: Is the vertical of Black Lore's skills "infinite" or not?

4. I never thought that I'd be more uncomfortable with a Blue Magic that was in the same game as something called Degenerator than I would with, well, anything named Degenerator, but Magic Hammer being random Mute rather...bothers me. Granted, I think it may be fine, especially since it directly undermines his sister's Matra Magic, but I wholeheartedly understand why Selius is so wary of it. Then again, abilities that tend to damage MP probably the most hit-or-miss type of abilities.

5. I find it a bit odd that Rafa has more HP, but I suppose it does fit. I'm glad to see that Malak has access to Poles and Rods innately even if that's all he gets. I was always kind of annoyed that he couldn't ever take advantage of Gokuu Rod without changing into an Oracle in vanilla.

1. I rather like that the Ruins are based on Faith now, since you pointed out why that fits even if she technically did go "rogue" from the church for the sake of revenge. Given you said they're like vanilla outside of the Faith change, would I be correct in assuming this means that they still use MP? It seems a bit weird to realize that she doesn't really have any 0 MP abilities to fall back on like Agrias presumably does. I suppose neither do Rafa & Malak, however, and Meliadoul's skills are still pretty damn devastating even if they take evasion and MP (like they should).

2. Other than that, I like the new name of her skill set and I'm wondering if we get to know what Crush Punch does now or if it's changed much at all since you didn't say anything about it.

1. Hmmm...I'm a bit torn about Beowulf having so many skills and effectively two different skill sets in the same skill set. On the one hand, as someone who tends to lean towards liking elemental strategies, who didn't want Beowulf to be "just" a better Oracle with a sword again and who wanted to see someone (else) use the double skills, this is a welcome change. I suppose it's also better to "double up" on Beowulf's skill set rather than giving it to another character--Reis?--instead and having them immediately end up being competition with one of them probably getting obviated given the likeness. If you have the room for it--I don't, cry cry--skill-wise, then why not I suppose.

On the other hand, even with the explanation given for this and the explanation in the monster thread about toning down elemental weaknesses, it seems, at least a glance, a bit much, especially depending on the statuses he can cause. This especially since he seems a lot more skills than everyone else with 16 versus an average of about 8. Granted, as said above, since it basically is two separate skill sets, I suppose that actually fits even if it still makes me hesitant that he'll be...extremely good.

I doubt that he'll be anywhere near vanilla Orlandu levels of ridiculous, even with Imperil status around, and someone has to be the best special character I suppose.... It's just weird to think it will be Sir Kadmus for once.

2. I think the other thing bothers me a bit about the skill set is that it takes a lot from FFV's Rune Knight, since those are essentially what the "En-" abilities are based on. Is he going to be called Rune Knight now--like Dycedarg was supposed to be, loony bastard though he is--or is he going to still be a "Temple Knight" despite, well, Templar also existing?

This looks good, though since it's essentially vanilla Reis with Bahamut, that's not really surprising given she was basically the only special character in vanilla who could come close to rivaling Orlandu's power. I have to wonder if you reigned her in just a tad though, especially if she's now the only person to ever get Dual Wield, which is an interesting idea in and of itself, especially Ninja is one of the classes you've kept.

So Gerard is the sole Blue Mage we get? I guess that works. Is he also the only unit we get that has Tame or Beastmaster or Poach since I haven't seen any of those RSMs mentioned in the generic class thread now that I think about it.

Given Reis does have Dual Wield, perhaps you could Cid innate Two Hands/Doublehand (if you haven't already) since I don't recall any of your generic class having that either. Shrug.

Oh, and I just realized: Is there a reason why Ramza isn't on this list even though he's technically a special character?

MUSTADIO:

Sadly, FFT lacks any robotic animations, so I'll probably just use generic healing animations for each skill. Flails are there as a reference to Engineers using Hammers- it also gives Mustadio a "safe" physical attack, unlike the Axe's randomness. As far as Vanish goes, recall that it wears off any time he takes an action- such as when a Snare skill goes off.

RAFA:

Yes, Matra Magic is her only Blue Mage-able skill. Namely for balance reasons- it was incredibly broken in PW 1.0. At least now you have to earn it.

Most Vert on these skills will be 4, but they'll likely be adjusted to be infinite if I find they're too abusive as they are. (They likely will be.)

White Wind will reverse healing on Undead, simply because it uses Elixir's formula.

MALAK:

Yes, Limit Glove can only be learnt via Blue Magic.

Magic Hammer will "only" deal up to 999 MP on Lucavi and other ??? enemies, so it's not like it'll break those battles. Against other enemies, those enemies will often have a way to regenerate MP, or their skills won't consume MP to deal with. On top of that, you'd have to surround them with your allies just to ensure it lands on them. In theory, it sounds broken, but I think that using it in practice will prove otherwise. If not, it can always be nerfed.

Rafa's stats are based on FF1 White Mages: her formulae require no real use for MA, but she needs MP and as a healer, always has use for high HP.

MELIADOUL:

Crush Punch inflicts Death, as always. Her theme is permanent crippling, afterall- as permanent as Death ever is in a FF game, anyways.

BEOWULF:

Beowulf is definitely an experiment. He's designed to be akin to a FFV Red Mage + FFV Mystic Knight. I designed Beowulf to be a character with such broadly different focuses that he could be anything one wants, save a healer/buffer. As for being a debuffer... there's an item now that doubles proc rates- including debuffs from the En- spells.

Beowulf's job name is Spellblade.

REIS:

Remember that Ninja aren't really like their typical FF selves. With Dual Wield, Ninja could just go on a physical rampage while totally ignoring their gimmick. Can't have any of that!

GERARD:

Gerard is the sole Blue Mage you get, and is the only way for monsters to join the party. That said, he is NOT the only unit with Poach, but he IS the only unit with Tame and Beastmaster.

Ramza will likely be a Mediator, much like his PW 1.0 self.

EDIT:

ORLANDU:

Skillset: Iaido
Equip: Knightswords, Ninja Blades, Shields, Helmets, Heavy Armor
Example Skills: Iai Blow I, Iai Blow IV, etc.
Innate: Concentrate

Orlandu is an evade tank, akin to Ninja, but focuses on heavy damage to single enemies as opposed to debuffs. His skillset is a polished and rebranded Charge, allowing him to finish enemies with flair with a single flash of his blade- he strikes as lightning, needing to strike only once to fell his foe. Even if Snipers lose Concentrate, Orlandu won't. He's designed to strike hard, and to dodge and counter blows, akin to Hobyrim of TO (once more). He is also the only unit to get Hamedo, giving him a distinctive evasive flair unique all to him. He's different from every other version of him, but he's deadly all the same.

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

The Damned

September 09, 2014, 02:01:02 am #5 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:50:45 pm by The Damned
(So noted, even if it is a bit disappointing to have what I suspected about White Wind be confirmed.)

This version of Orlandu looks pretty interesting despite essentially being stuck with something usually as boring as Charge. Certainly a much more different version of him than other patches have tended to do, even my own. Not sure how I feel about Hamedo still existing though, even if it is appropriately overpowered enough for Old Man Genocide.

With regards to Ramza being a Mediator, I see. I had completely forgotten. I still think you should make a space for him if only because it's not readily apparent he's different or how he's different from vanilla even with the proposed changes to Freelancer in the other thread.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

BYBLOS:

Skillset: Azure Arts
Example Skills: Painflare, Hellfire, Blight, Malaise, Flash Arc, Judgment Bolt, Kill, Condemnation, Roxxor, Gaia's Wrath, Redemption, Eschaton, Bleed, Gravity II, Mana Spring, Battle Cry
Equip: N/A
Innate: Beastmaster, Poach, Arcane Defense, Defense Boost

Byblos is the cooler, magically-inclined version of Gerard that can only be acquired in END- and, in fact, that's his entire gimmick. Byblos starts with no skills whatsoever and will instead gain them by battling each superbattle in DD against the Lucavi rematches. He can do just about anything- assuming you can overcome the hurdles to make him able to do anything.

The Damned

(Fair warning: I'm about to post back to back to back to back in your four threads to "make up" for being gone for about a month. My sincerest apologies.)

Hmmm...that's certainly an interesting take on Byblos and definitely one that actually merits him coming so utterly late in the game. Being a Lucavi/Esper-only Blue Mage is rather neat, though I have to wonder how he's supposed to learn Zalera's skills in particular, especially Kill.

Then again, perhaps your version of Zalera is more "merciful" than mine. I guess that's kind of appropriate given he is the "Angel of Death". My versions are more the "Angel of Suffering" given what an asshole he is even in FFXII. (I guess he, like Mateus, just takes after the Occuria though.)

Regardless, good luck with deciding on things for Worker/Construct 8. He's always such a pain to think about.