• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:36 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Palette Editor (1.31b)

Started by Xifanie, October 04, 2009, 08:37:18 am

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Some scripts for converting between sprite types, and tethical sprites, I assume?

Xifanie

There's no such thing as converting from/to TYPE1/TYPE2.
My scripts only generates images, and I'm not even sure tethical can make use of my scripts.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

thisisstupid999

I get an error "floating point division by zero." Everything looks fine. The BMP IS 256x488.

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

thisisstupid999

Yes, I'm positive it is. And everything looks fine on it. The only thing I could possibly think of is that it can't read the cape I inserted.

Xifanie

I'll take a look at it if you share your bmp.

thisisstupid999

Here it is. It's not quite finished though, but the problem is still there.

Xifanie

...I can't even open it in GraphicsGale. Judging from the size of the file:
Your file: 374 906 bytes
8bit, 256 colours file: 126 006 bytes

Yours is 24bpp.

You should never edit a file in 24bpp to start with as it will be a mess to recreate the palettes. Try to find the option in your program to convert the file to 256 colours, but be aware this won't be enough to fix the sheet. If you still can't use the file in my palette editor/shishi, you'll have to use another program.

thisisstupid999

Huh, Gimp must've changed the bit depth for some reason. Anyways, it worked. Thank you  :)

thisisstupid999

*sigh* Now I seem to have a new problem. I took a break from editing and was going to upload the uncompleted sprite to my ISO so I could see how the changes looked but the BMP won't uninvert. Like your instructions say on this topic, I opened the BMP on Palette editor and clicked Null palette and then exited. Then I uploaded the BMP to Shishi and it still showed inverted. I went ahead anyways and started the game up, entered a battle, and it was inverted. So I went back and resaved the BMP from Gimp and instead of loading it into Palette editor I just uploaded it straight to Shishi. No dice there either. I've tried a multitude of things at this point. What am I doing wrong?

Xifanie

There's no way to "uninvert" the conversion to 24bpp, you'll have to deal with it and somehow use gimp to replace/move around the colours properly? There may be tutorials about spriting with Gimp around, but most people use GraphicsGale so I'm not sure.
I tried Gimp in the past but couldn't even select something and delete.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Gimp sucks ass for spriting and editing palettes.  Use mtPaint, it has a dedicated palette editor.  And Pinta isn't bad either.  I can link to either one if you need help finding and installing them.

Linux user, I assume?

thisisstupid999

No, I use windows. The weird thing about this is that I've already done this before and I had no problem, but now all of the sudden I'm having the problem. I've uploaded the same sprite, although it has been edited since then, to Shishi and it worked fine.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

If you're on Windows, use Graphics Gale.  mtPaint has a Windows executable too, I believe.  You might also want to try Paint.NET, I think it's shareware.

GIMP sucks for spriting because it always wants to mess with your file formats.

Argy

Wow Xif, I have just started to play with this program and its unbelievably excellent. It's so easy to use, that even a spanner like me finds it simple. I have now made alternate palletes for Vincent. He looks tasty in pink!!
Cheers!! :-)
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

MiKeMiTchi

January 09, 2013, 09:58:23 pm #55 Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:05:14 pm by MiKeMiTchi
2 more scripts~!
This is how they look like...
Basically, they're just combinations of default scripts.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Lijj

Alright! new scripts. A good sprite presenter.. thanks for sharing Mike.